Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
show me your steps

Hi,

Our group is debating on how to put in some steps up a steep hill at a local course. Does anybody have cheap and effective way? Somebody mentioned half-buried car tires? Just trying to help with footing.... and would like to help make the course look better. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Easiest way is to dig out holes for cement blocks or what have you and then place the blocks into the holes. Over lap the blocks. You will need to get the rise/run of the slope to get the amount of steps.

You could also dig a trench down the hill, place halved logs as steps, attach with rebar, and fill with gravel.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 34
Gravel and logs don't work at my home course, it's still pretty steep and slick. It helps but it's not efficient. Then again they look super old. I'd love some steps put in so I don't break my neck, but then we'd have kids hanging out on the steps...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 51
Railroad ties make great steps. Just drill two holes in em, dig it out a little bit and pound rebar through the holes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 91
Looks like you've played CV in Louisville... recall holes 14 & 15. Rail ties with a little gravel did wonders for those steep slopes.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 17
They've recently put some half buried, gravel filled tires in a couple of places at Rosedale. Not that recent, I guess, but they weren't there last year. They really seem to help, but really more against erosion than as steps. I'm sure they can be made into steps, but it'd be tough to go against a steep grade I would think. Railroad ties w/ rebar seem to work out really well on some other holes both there and at other courses. Not sure the cost for the tires, but you can buy railroad ties and rebar at Home Depot for not that much.

Why not just put in super sweet granite stairs like at Bryant Lake in Minneapolis?

We were up there recently and I was super impressed with the level of course maintenance and design in several parks. I guess that's what pay to play gets you.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justactnormal View Post
They've recently put some half buried, gravel filled tires in a couple of places at Rosedale. Not that recent, I guess, but they weren't there last year. They really seem to help, but really more against erosion than as steps. I'm sure they can be made into steps, but it'd be tough to go against a steep grade I would think. Railroad ties w/ rebar seem to work out really well on some other holes both there and at other courses. Not sure the cost for the tires, but you can buy railroad ties and rebar at Home Depot for not that much.

Why not just put in super sweet granite stairs like at Bryant Lake in Minneapolis?

We were up there recently and I was super impressed with the level of course maintenance and design in several parks. I guess that's what pay to play gets you.
I don't think that our club could quite afford a granite staircase. We are also trying to raise funds for a new course. So, basically we are wanting to help maintain the courses that we have, while saving for a new course. The railroad tie/rebar sounds like the best option. We will have to price both.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 108
When we built Bradley Center, we used some of the trees we cut down as material for the steps we built. Smaller limbs were used as stakes to keep the bigger pieces in place. A great tool for all the digging is a McLeod. Much quicker and easier to use than a shovel or simple hoe.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

This is what the club went with. Looks awesome and even puts a little bounce in your step. The code name was "stairway to seven". Great job guys!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
Here in the bay area we did a fundraiser tournament and installed railroad ties as steps. we even got the local boy scout troop to do the work for free as pary of their badge.