Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default MVP Gyro and throwing/putting on slopes.

So, a friend and fellow DG'er with whom I regularly play has a theory that due to Gyro, MVP/Axiom discs have a penchant to roll more often than non-gyro discs when landing on a slope.

All discs are basically wheels, I'd noticed no more or less rolling based on Gyro specifically, but it seems reasonable enough that gyro could stabilize a rolling disc. Thoughts, observations?

Also, aside from playing the angle of the slope, do you have go to hill discs?

(Personally, if I'm trying a long putt to a slope I tend to favor the Nova as it has a low center of gravity. Big fat wing weighted to the bottom. If I splash out on a weird angle, usually it sits. Upshots I worry little about the disc and focus more on the angle I intend for it to land.)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: LHBH

Shape of the disc would have a much greater influence on the rollaway potential of a disc than any "gyro" influence. I've never had an Envy roll away. That said, I did play with a guy that had more rollaways with an Ion that any other putter in any single round ever. Ask Rhyno throwers about rollaways.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 38

My Anodes and Ions rolled too much. Don't know if it's specific to how the weight is distributed, the shape of the nose, or what...but I have much less of an issue with my Pures.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 47

Wizards get some pretty tragic roll aways too. Their is definately something to that, tho why I have no idea
Old 08-18-2015, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Wizards get some pretty tragic roll aways too. Their is definitely something to that, tho why I have no idea
As a follow up to the above, to answer this question;

Quote:
Also, aside from playing the angle of the slope, do you have go to hill discs?
Is something I've strongly considered, but never really done. I've got a nice RFF wizard that I've bagged for the purpose of being a "hill putter" for a little bit but never used it, so I took it out. Basically I just consign myself to the possibility that I may get a crazy roll away anytime I go for a putt on a big hill. Mostly I just don't want to carry another putter, as my standard setup has 5 or 6 putters already and I don't really feel like carrying another one around. I know guys who use blowflies and gumputts for this purpose, so it is a thing

Last edited by Pbmercil; 08-18-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 116

Has nothing to do with mvp discs or gyro tech.

You just need to throw the disc on the same angle as the slope of the hill so it lands flat. Softer discs can help stick but i roll bowflys around the yard...

Nova has a low center of gravity?!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
My Anodes and Ions rolled too much. Don't know if it's specific to how the weight is distributed, the shape of the nose, or what...but I have much less of an issue with my Pures.
FWIW the worst roll away i ever had was with a pure. Hit top of the basket on a hill and it rolled all the way back down over 300 feet. I now put with ions and anodes lol.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHFH

The theory is that discs with a more gyroscopic property would have greater weight/ mass on the exterior of the disc, which in theory could make a disc roll more once it has begun rolling, but actually should keep the flight more level for longer if thrown correctly.

So if it starts I roll theoretically it could roll more, but the gyroscope properties of an over molded disc are not so much more than a normal disc(except for lids and oddities 10meter brick I'm looking at you) that it would be noticeable.

If your worried about roll away, throw blowflies, or just deal with it and throw a good putter.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 12

I have noticed that MVP discs like to roll. My experience has been with an Ion, Tangent, and Volt. They sure do like to roll if they catch an edge. Of course, I jokingly say that this is due to GYRO, but it could just be a funny coincidence.

I did have some pretty bad rollaways with my Tangent, though.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Wizards get some pretty tragic roll aways too. Their is definately something to that, tho why I have no idea
I've seen that with Wizards as well. I chalked it up to the grippy material causing the disc to rise up and roll instead of slipping and falling flat. It obviously had nothing to do with the angle I made the disc land at