Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 PM
Bogey Member

River vs. Fury/Hatchet

I have given up believing manufacturers numbers for flight.

Obviously this will be different for everyone based on arm strength, etc... but I am a bit of a noodle arm and only marginally embarrassed to admit it.

I throw the River and like it. It has copious amounts of glide and it goes out, seems to stay in the air forever, turns a bit, fades a bit, blah blah.

When I look at the inflight charts, it suggests the difference between either the Hatchet or Fury and the River is only about 20'. The manufactures rate the river a 7 and the others a 9.

I am looking for a little more controlled distance on some holes where the river isn't quite enough.

Is there really a decent distance gap between the discs or is it too much overlap?

I've thought about the roadrunner too but not sure about it. I wish I could try the Westside/Lat64 locally, but no chance.....
Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Good amount of overlap with the fury and hatchet for sure. I find the hatchet to be a little longer and more consistent for me. I never clicked with the fury at all. I don't think there is a lot of overlap with the River and Hatchet though. It's going to depend on the individual obviously but most players should notice a decent speed increase with the hatchet, same great glide, and similar lines with more distance. If you go with a TP hatchet it will likely turn more from the start. The VIP ones in heavy weights give me great S lines. I've started to enjoy the TP ones lately. Almost hit two aces with one in a little unsanctioned tournament last weekend. Helped me take 3rd. Big fan of the hatchet myself.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
I throw the Hatchet and the River a lot, and there isn't a lot of difference in distance for me, maybe a slight edge to the Hatchet. Depends on the day and the conditions

I find the Saint to be slightly longer than those two. I imagine Fury would be in the same ballpark.

From one noodle arm to another, don't put too much faith in flight numbers or Inbounds. What you should be concerned more about is its ability to fly in the wind, not what a rating says will magically add distance.

I agree with your assessment of the River; You are throwing a good disc. Saint compliments it pretty well as it can stand up to a mild headwind.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteezeOG View Post
Good amount of overlap with the fury and hatchet for sure. I find the hatchet to be a little longer and more consistent for me. I never clicked with the fury at all. I don't think there is a lot of overlap with the River and Hatchet though. It's going to depend on the individual obviously but most players should notice a decent speed increase with the hatchet, same great glide, and similar lines with more distance. If you go with a TP hatchet it will likely turn more from the start. The VIP ones in heavy weights give me great S lines. I've started to enjoy the TP ones lately. Almost hit two aces with one in a little unsanctioned tournament last weekend. Helped me take 3rd. Big fan of the hatchet myself.
Thanks, that is god info. The only Swedish plastic I have played with is my Opto River. How do you find the durability of the Tourney plastic? I'm a known tree worker :-)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
I throw the Hatchet and the River a lot, and there isn't a lot of difference in distance for me, maybe a slight edge to the Hatchet. Depends on the day and the conditions

I find the Saint to be slightly longer than those two. I imagine Fury would be in the same ballpark.

From one noodle arm to another, don't put too much faith in flight numbers or Inbounds. What you should be concerned more about is its ability to fly in the wind, not what a rating says will magically add distance.

I agree with your assessment of the River; You are throwing a good disc. Saint compliments it pretty well as it can stand up to a mild headwind.
Thanks for the reply. How stable, or overstable, is the Saint for you? Assuming a calm day and decent conditions, etc... Is it staying in your bag for the River/Hatchet or are you pulling it out even without the wind?
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
The TP is some of the best plastic out now. I've got a River that has been beat to high heaven and all you can see is dirt on it. I actually have 3 in the bag. One is 176, 167 and 151. All have three different flight paths and the 151 is amazing for gliding anhyzer shots.

I cant throw the Fury worth crap either. I just have never clicked with it at all. Even in field work I just cant get it do nothing but fly 200ft and drop out of the air. The dome and rim design just dont work for me.

I havnet thrown the Hatchet (waiting for a lightweight one in a color other than red/yellow/green/orange) but Ive held one and it feels good.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Saint is a somewhat like the River, bur handles wind better, and has slightly more fade and less turn. Although, my Rivers are about 6 grams lighter, and GL vs. opto. I remember a 172 Opto River that got lost being pretty stable at my power. I think a River and a Saint in the same plastic and same weight would be pretty close, with the Fury and Hatchet somewhere in between. They all have great glide, which helps a ton.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Saint is a somewhat like the River, bur handles wind better, and has slightly more fade and less turn. Although, my Rivers are about 6 grams lighter, and GL vs. opto. I remember a 172 Opto River that got lost being pretty stable at my power. I think a River and a Saint in the same plastic and same weight would be pretty close, with the Fury and Hatchet somewhere in between. They all have great glide, which helps a ton.

That is interesting, thanks. I might have to hold off on the Hatchet and give a Saint a try. I throw a pretty light River, 165g, so I would try a Saint int he same weight if possible. My river is an Opto which has hit every tree possible and still shows zero signs of wear.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Bogey Member

Have you ever thrown the opto air Saint? I would imagine it loses all of its ability to handle the wind.....

Old 07-14-2014, 12:34 AM

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you have the quality form to throw the River well, stick with it. I throw recycled plastic Rivers, and they beat in very slowly. The TP plastic should be a half notch less stable.

The Fury is slightly more unstable than the River. Good for anny lines and a bit longer IF you can get a proper throw. I don't think it has more "control" than the River.

I second the suggestion of a Saint as a longer River, especially an Air Saint. It will have a similar flight to the River, but certainly longer.

Off topic a bit, but if like the River and you like the Saint, consider getting a Stag (esp. Air VIP plastic) for a more stable fairway driver.