Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 5
Wraith love - post your stories

I decided it was about time for a thread devoted to Wraiths, since I've seen quite a few people on here talk about loving them.

I'd always heard that they were about the same as Surges, and since I had an ESP Surge I never wanted to invest in a Wraith. Then I found a DX Wraith, threw it a few times, and fell in love.

I like the flight of the Wraith better than the Surge because, at least for me, the Surge goes much straighter and the Wraith has a beautiful turn and then fade. Like a TeeBird vs. Eagle. The Wraith also has better glide than the Surge, but that's probably mostly the plastic. I've thrown some amazing 350'+ hyzer flips.

Now I'm really wanting to get a Star Wraith and see the difference.

Any Wraith love out there?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
yeah love it. first driver, but have put it down for a while...throwing only midrange and fairway drivers but looking forward to pulling my star wraith back out in a month or two
Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 53
My oldest disc is a star wraith. It has beat in absolutely beautifully. I also have a new star wraith that I just picked up, one of the 12 speed ones. Crazy overstable. Gonna have to break that one in for sure
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
I like the pro ones for distance lines, but I am not throwing them at the moment
Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Most of the new driver releases have 2.2cm to 2.5cm wings.
I have average sized hands and these newer drivers' rims are NOT comfortable for me. I don't feel like I can get a good grip on them which leads to less snap. Destroyers are okay (2.2cm) but just a touch on the large side for my tastes.

Wraiths (2.1cm) are the widest I can comfortably go.

Since I have average sized hands it seems like 2.1/2.2cm would be the primary distance driver wing width.

Anyway, much Wraith love here. It is fast but still glidey and relatively controllable. It is overstable but not rediculous. It has enough stability and predictability to pull itself out from a big distance line. I think the Wraith makes the best of the compromises inherent to distance driver design. I just wish I had more local courses that actually need a distance driver.

I like the domey Pros the best. I use Wraiths for all out distance and Pro goes the furthest. If I need long controlled D I will probably use an Eagle or a PD.

FWIW I am RHBH dominant and I expect more than 400' when I throw the Wraith. I also carry Leopards and Eagle Xs to fill in where the Wraith leaves off.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
your bag is relatively similar to what mine will be, but I might try out destroyers sometime. My hands are nothing but huge
Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
I've been a wraith lover for years now but am afraid that Flows are taking over my bag.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Probably my favorite disc. My first disc ever was a Pink DX Wraith that really helped me fall in love with DG. Since I lost that I got a super stupid stable domey CFR Champ Wraith that I aced with, and just picked up an Echo Star that is going to be dyed with the DX Wraith logo. Really an awesome disc that combines a large but comfortable rim, great flight pattern, and yummy glide... Every bag should have one

aj

PS my avatar alone should prove my allegiance
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 20
Star will be significantly more stable than the DX. I like Pro outta the box, worn Star is sweat too. Champion if you want that super certain stability and fade.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6
i got a dx wraith max weight about a year ago. i hated it cause it was a disgusting meathook that was so unpredictable i just didnt realize at the time i had know idea what i was doing. i have since then redone my entire game and my dx wraith still comes out on top as my favorite distance driver perfectly beat and the most predictable flight out of all the discs i own.