Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 26.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
New premium plastic equivalents for beat in discs

Hope you all might indulge me with another question. I'm new to the forum but enjoying the wealth of knowledge I'm finding here.

I get the whole cycling base plastic vs. premium plastic thing. What I'm wondering, and haven't' been able to turn up in searches, is a list of new discs in premium plastics that match up with certain favorite beat in, base plastic discs. In other words, for example, what discs in premium plastic fly new out of the box like a well seasoned Roc; or a well seasoned Teebird, etc.? In my experience you can't just go by the flight numbers because these figures rarely take into account the variances in stability within one particular mold from one plastic to another. If this info is already available I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. If not, would like your comments. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
I think you'll find discs which are SIMILAR, but never the same. A nicely worn in DX Roc or Teebird is a thing of beauty. There's a reason so many people rave about them.

It is certainly possible to learn different molds and execute the same shots, but they are never going to be the same, imo.

For me, I'll take the time to wear in a good Roc over throwing something like an M4.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
its just a matter of different stability levels and speeds. You can always think of a premium disc being the more OS version generally while baseline is the understable version. Some molds like the tern have a different stability in star plastic vs champion while other times you can use different molds like a TL or Viking etc vs a seasoned TB, Mako or something understable for a beat up roc and so on.

You basically have two ideas to building a bag which can be put together and make a complete bag. The cycling folks tend to keep less molds with more of them in different stages of wear while others fill their bags with more molds of complementary moldels that work well together when fresh off the shelf. Most companies offer 1 or 2 discs in a speed class desgiend to be paired up but also have a disc which can be worked into different stabilities.

Figuring out what plastics and molds that work best for you is just going to be part of building up your bag. There is no one right answer really or way to go about it just need to understand how and why you do it. Truly understable discs fly unique to stable or OS ones which are beat up into having some understable characteristics. Just like some brand new discs will fly with more high speed stability that slowly goes away and keep the low speed stability while others its the other way around.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 02-12-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Now I feel like I'm just trolling your posts, Purdoggies!

I honestly think you don't need to worry about this. I think you should throw what you already have and see what works for you, take weeks/months to figure that out, and take it from there. This place can easily give one plastic lust, but that seldom makes one any better.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 14
I would argue that a key aspect of the beauty of a beat up DX Roc or Teebird is not just that they have unique flight characteristics, but instead, that you have beaten the disc to the point of that seasoned stability and you know the nuances of that disc.

I've a beat up S Element-X that I can throw on lines that someone would likely never be able to harness just because I have familiarity with the disc. I've tried to throw other players "money" teebirds and I find them to not be in my personal sweet spot.

I guess my moral of the story is that, yes beat up DX Rocs and Teebirds fly beautifully, its not to say that you could not do the same with any other mold. The best suggestion I could make is to find a disc that you feel really good about in terms of initial flight & handfeel, and begin to develop a whole understanding of that mold. I used to be a Roc fiend but now I find that I prefer the feel and flight of Karmas/Element X. While few out there would say that the Karma is a better disc on paper, I know exactly how they are going to fly bc I have thrown them over and over.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post

I honestly think you don't need to worry about this. I think you should throw what you already have and see what works for you, take weeks/months to figure that out, and take it from there. This place can easily give one plastic lust, but that seldom makes one any better.
Like Mark says here....

I've played a lot of rounds with him. I've forced many discs that I would deem "superior" to his ridges, but by god does he know that mold.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
I think you'll find discs which are SIMILAR, but never the same. A nicely worn in DX Roc or Teebird is a thing of beauty. There's a reason so many people rave about them.
Plus, not only will they only be kind of similar, but they'll beat up to be less and less like the disc you want.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Yes, even if you don't go the cycling route, if you play long enough, cycling will eventually make it's way into your bag I feel like. If your Champ sidewinder is getting TOO flippy, you put another one in, right? Sounds like cycling to me.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 26.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post

Appreciate your comments (on both threads)
I tend to gravitate toward the minimalist approach but still like to try out new discs. I seem to go through a phase every few years where I buy a bunch of new plastic and then slowly weed out most of the challengers for a spot in my already small bag (8-10 discs). It's kind of fun. but it is rare for one to actually end up sticking in my bag by replacing a known standard. This is one reason I'm a little leery about all the new brands and models that I now find on the scene. I've tried 'em before. My Scream DT and Champion Monarch are now sitting at the bottom of my 5 gallon overflow bucket along with my Dragon, Eclipse and Archangel. I guess where I'm going with this is just wondering if, instead of investing in new models, I 'd be better off in the long run just trying different plastics and weights of the molds I am already most familiar with and that are most likely to be the ones I continue to turn to in the future.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdoggies View Post
....My Scream DT and Champion Monarch are now sitting at the bottom of my 5 gallon overflow bucket along with my Dragon, Eclipse and Archangel....
Most other folks have some or all of these molds sitting in overflow buckets as well. It's not just you.

Honestly though, to answer your question there is only way to find this out and it depends on how much money you are willing to spend and how bad you really want to know the answer. And that is the basis on which the disc golf business is built. I freely support this model. I learned really early on (for better or for worse), if I wanna know, I gotta go throw!

You could easily spend > $500 and find at the end of all that that nothing in premium plastic flies like a perfectly seasoned Roc except a perfectly seasoned Roc.

With that being said, discs that have well established followings like the Discmania FD/PD or Axiom Crave or Envy, or MVP Ion/Anode etc., just to name a few, are not likely to end up in the bottom of any bucket. An Envy is far more likely to end up in the bottom of the basket.