Disc Golf Store
Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 14
How to throw straight?

I cant for the life of me get my driver to go straight. Everytime i tee off, all my discs go about 250 feet then they tail to the left hard.

Any suggestions or tips?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Could you please provide more information about how you throw (rhbh etc) and what type of disc your are throwing? With a little more information we should be able to let you know what you are doing wrong.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM

What discs are you using? If you are only throwing 250, I would suggest getting a midrange like a roc or buzzz and a putter and work on your form. Trust me, learning to throw these well will help you by leaps and bounds. IMO people shouldn't start throwing drivers til they have 300+ feet of power. Once you can push your midranges and putters out to 250 or so, maybe add in a cheetah, leopard, teebird, etc which are a little faster than midranges and helps build up to the drivers. I would also suggest a 150 class valk as a first driver, or an XL.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 14
Sorry Im a right hand back hand thrower

Yeah i tried using them. But when i try to use mid range discs like a shark cheetah or cobra, they anny hard right. All my drivers go left, star wraith, champ monarch,champ sidewinder,pro destroyer,star starfire,Champ Beast

the 250 thing was how far they go before they go to the left hard. I average about 305 a drive with my farthest being 380 in a practice setting.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:52 PM

if a cheetah is annying hard, you could have some OAT thats helping it anny. Still at 305, I wouldn't recommend a destroyer, wraith, or even beast. You aren't getting enough snap on them to get them to their proper cruising speed. I believe you need 375 feet of power to be able to throw a wraith, destroyer, boss, etc. Beast I believe is 350, as is the starfire. Use cheetahin addition to your midranges. I'm guessing a mixture of form, off axis torque, and grip are all adding up to this.

How far can you throw your putter?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 15
You are making quite a speed jump from the Cheetah. I would recommend you do as suggested with the mids or try a Teebird.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 84
Only the shark is a mid range disc and it is slightly understable to begin with. The Cobra is unstable too. I agree with trying stable mids to get to go straight like a Roc, Wasp, Rhyno, Wolf, Stratus, even a Buzzz. You will have to work on good form by throwing really flat or slightly anhyzer so the disc goes straight. You see more turnover with mids, drivers come back to the left by being more overstable. You then need to do the same thing with drivers, but even more so. Throwing anhyzer so they start to go right, then stablize and come back slowly left. This is the flight you want for max distance for drivers. There are unstable drivers that you want to do the reverse with. Like Sidewinders, Monarchs, Avengers, Roadrunners etc. Throw slight hyzer and they flip up to flat and go only a little left at the end. It sound like you are not getting the most out of your drivers because they are overstable for you and you need to anhyzer them. Rember to throw hard and line drives.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegraham View Post
Only the shark is a mid range disc and it is slightly understable to begin with. The Cobra is unstable too. I agree with trying stable mids to get to go straight like a Roc, Wasp, Rhyno, Wolf, Stratus, even a Buzzz. You will have to work on good form by throwing really flat or slightly anhyzer so the disc goes straight. You see more turnover with mids, drivers come back to the left by being more overstable. You then need to do the same thing with drivers, but even more so. Throwing anhyzer so they start to go right, then stablize and come back slowly left. This is the flight you want for max distance for drivers. There are unstable drivers that you want to do the reverse with. Like Sidewinders, Monarchs, Avengers, Roadrunners etc. Throw slight hyzer and they flip up to flat and go only a little left at the end. It sound like you are not getting the most out of your drivers because they are overstable for you and you need to anhyzer them. Remember to throw hard and line drives.
i agree with the disc choice, but when i teach people to snap, i have them throw an understable disc (buzz and putter...then working up to cheetah, roadrunner) with hyzer until they can snap it hard enough to turn flat. when they get that hyzer to flat rotation or hyzer to anhyzer in the best cases, its time to learn a new, more overstable disc. same teaching technique as the dude with the boards in "North Shore." :P
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 21
Send a message via AIM to NothinButChing
snapping with an angle in making it go right off release then hyzer back as it makes as "s" in the air.. should give you max distance n end up straighter

Old 09-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 4
actually i thought a hyzer flip throw properly gave you more distance then a s curve