Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Need side arm tips

I'm getting better with my side arm. I'm currently using a tee devil and nuke ss
But they seem to turn over a little too much. I can throw about 350' on average. Looking for something that won't turn over as much but still get the distance. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 58
Try a Destroyer or a Nuke.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
are you sure you are turning it over, and not throwing with you wrist tilted and therefore the nose of the disc tilted? i can see the SS turning over but the teedevil with 350 foot of power should resist turning over.
i agree try a nuke or destroyer
personally i use teebirds or monsters
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 49
Do you throw your forehand in an S-curve or a straight hyzer curve? (Granted the hyzer-anhyzer thing always confuses me)

If I want to throw a shot that will go straight and then fade to the right at the end I'll use a Leopard for mid distance, a Beast for long distance, or an X-Clone for very little fade.

For an s-curve, I'll use an overstable disc, like a Boss or Katana, and release with the disc angled up ( like a / ) and let it weave back around. This usually requires less actual arm speed as you let the disc do the work for you, but it's a lot tougher to get right.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
The best thing you can do is try a slower disc. Go into a field with a Buzzz and work on getting it to fly cleanly, don't even worry about how far it goes. As you clean up your form and get better results with your mids, that success will result in greater distance and control with your drivers.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 62
I have never had good success with Nuke's of any kind when throwing FH. My big drive FH disc is a boss. Typically has a little turn to it, but always comes out. If you want a meathook, look into a champ max. I can usually throw these with quite a bit of anny and it will go straight for awhile, and finish hard. Great head wind disc.

But seriously, try a boss.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 13
I have been using Champ Bosses for longer drives and Chap Firebirds for not as long stuff. Best of luck turning over a Firebird.

My Bosses rip and I too release it at an / angle and get incredible S out of it. My release is kinda like I'm snapping a towel though that can be wrong and I'm totally open to suggestions on my release. I do also keep my elbow pretty well tucked.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat42 View Post
Do you throw your forehand in an S-curve or a straight hyzer curve? (Granted the hyzer-anhyzer thing always confuses me)

If I want to throw a shot that will go straight and then fade to the right at the end I'll use a Leopard for mid distance, a Beast for long distance, or an X-Clone for very little fade.

For an s-curve, I'll use an overstable disc, like a Boss or Katana, and release with the disc angled up ( like a / ) and let it weave back around. This usually requires less actual arm speed as you let the disc do the work for you, but it's a lot tougher to get right.

Hope that helps.
Did you honestly just say "overstable disc, like a boss or KATANA?"... I have thrown a katana that seemed to be a little more stable than the numbers suggest, I have NEVER thrown one that I would call overstable.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 58
I really agree with that too ^^^ I almost always use my buzzz sidearm for 2nd shots that finish right or teeshots that are straight or finish right around the 250ft area. But I can get my Destroyer to 350+ft no problem because I have the technique down.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
Check your technique. I was having an issue "Turning over FH shots" but in reality all i was doing was rolling my wrist at release. Check out Avery Jenkins "Deep in the Game" Sidearm. It really gave me a few good tips about keeping my palm facing the sky as/after i released the disc. Realyl helped flatten out my throws and added distance and control.