Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: RHBH
Ahoskie NC Rec Complex

There is an 18 hole course that should be in by spring going in the rec complex in Ahoskie NC which is north of Rocky Mount. Max Crotts, Brian Schweberger, and others are involved in the design. I just got hired with the Parks & Rec Dept of Ahoskie so I will be overseeing the construction.

The course will be pretty open(there are trees and wooded holes just pretty sparse woods) for an NC course however it is going to be on a beautiful property with a good sized creek that will come into play on several holes. The course's main defense will be wind. I have been going out there every day for 2 weeks and there is yet to be a sub 10mph wind blowing.

Very excited to bring DG to an area where there is none for 30+ miles.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
You will do FINE! Sorry to lose you from the Charlotte scene. Look forward to meandering up to your new area and playing your effort.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

The sadest part of my leaving is I wont be able to be around for the construction of my first design effort along with Stan in Oakboro. . this may make up for it though
Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveThrower43 View Post
The sadest part of my leaving is I wont be able to be around for the construction of my first design effort along with Stan in Oakboro. . this may make up for it though
Yo bro. Can you post some pictures of the property that the course is going to be on? Pretty please. Also, give us some more information. I think you told me that they had over 50 acres to work with. Please tell us more. I can't wait to see what Schwebby and his cohorts come up with.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 35
I wouldn't have picked Ahoskie for DG. What's next Elizabeth city?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM
I think I'm important

Courses Played: 109
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Heard really good things about this from Max and Schwebby.

Glad we have a DG friendly guy like you Pat in the parks there!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan McDaniel View Post
Yo bro. Can you post some pictures of the property that the course is going to be on? Pretty please. Also, give us some more information. I think you told me that they had over 50 acres to work with. Please tell us more. I can't wait to see what Schwebby and his cohorts come up with.
Nets across the fairways 5' to 30' high that only allow for rollers or thumbers.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan McDaniel View Post
I'll see If I can get some pics. there are 94 total acres at the complex. however a portion of this is across a small creek and will be used to build a par 3 ball golf course in the future as far as I know. We got permission to use a new Block that was bought by the park which is a little more wooded and also there is an area where there are some plants that remind me of that crap at bradford you call iliagnis. and that will be used as well. All in all I think this will be a good course. Im interested to see what they have up there sleeves. I have my thoughts from just walking around however its there baby.

Ive heard rumor of long 4's and 5's however I do not know how true that is. Gotta get Max and crew up here soon to get an idea of what the plans are so we can get to work. Until then its a 40min drive to the nearest DG course for me.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveThrower43 View Post
there is an area where there are some plants that remind me of that crap at bradford you call iliagnis.
Also called Russian Olives. These are an invasive species, Mecklenburg Parks and Rec encouraged us to take out as many as we could. Many can be eradicated by stepping on them (breaking the root system a few inches below the surface); others will need cutting (producing "trippers") but after 6-10 months these little stumps can easily be removed with a good pickax swing.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 740
One thing to perhaps keep in mind regarding the Russian Olives (our equivlent is buckthorn); is that because they are so nasty/hardy; they can perhaps be used as a positive to keep in an area that you want to remain a bunker; for a long time. This is kind of the opposite of small trees being snapped by chuckers and trees dyeing just due to play.