Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
My previous comment regarding accuracy and putting, maybe I could rephrase it this way.

I've always been a fantastic putter - before my injury that forced me to slow down on competing, I finished top 10 at the worlds putting multiple times. It's without a doubt the strength of my game.

I've never been that strong thrower of a disc. I can shape it to a degree, but have no sidearm or overhand. I'm not very good at throwing in the wind and overall, just struggle not randomly missing a line pretty bad.

The peak of my disc golf play was 982. I was lights out putting. I mean I would make 28 out of 30 inside the circle and would bang in 50 footers all the time.

Guys I would play with would be around 1000 and couldn't make a putt worth a lick and yet they were rated higher than me and better than me.

If you had a course with 18 par 3's and an SSA of 48, these guys would get 14 birdie looks. If they made just half of them and didn't get up and down once on the 4 times they didn't get a birdie look, they shot 48. For me, I would only get say, 9 looks for birdie. Yes, I made them all but I also had a 5 in there and two fours. Now I shot 49 without missing a putt.

It certainly is course to course where putting matters. On birdie fest courses, putting is without a doubt the must crucial part of the round. But the tougher a course gets, the less important putting becomes.

Now you will hear players like the afirmention Barry or anyone else on the top state that putting is the most important part and they are right on their level it is. And that's because that everyone on their level can throw all the shots and get birdie looks left and right. So for them, it does come down to putting. And the guys under 900 competing in Rec it does too.

But between 1020 and 900 it's all about throwing the disc well.

The only difference between 980 and 950 - essentionally a cashing open player and good advanced player - is one or two throws per round, really. That 6 becomes a 4 and that one bad drive is saved with a three and that's all it takes. Guys up top don't take those big numbers, but those big numbers are what kill people's rounds. And what do big numbers almost always have in common? Poor throws.

Watch good open players - I'm not talking the 1030 guys - I'm talking the 1000 guys. Still good players and cashing every weekend, but not elite. But they can't putt......

Last edited by _MTL_; 11-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
By your admission your not a strong thrower, don't throw well in wind,and struggle to hit your lines,but are a lights out putter.

Hmm,maybe your putting keeps you in competition,if you couldn't putt it sounds like your rating would be more like 920 or worse.

The guys that are getting 14 looks at bird,but only getting half,sounds to me like if they could putt better they would gain about 7 strokes.

Yeah,putting is pretty important.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I think I'm important

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind pilot View Post
By your admission your not a strong thrower, don't throw well in wind,and struggle to hit your lines,but are a lights out putter.

Hmm,maybe your putting keeps you in competition,if you couldn't putt it sounds like your rating would be more like 920 or worse.

The guys that are getting 14 looks at bird,but only getting half,sounds to me like if they could putt better they would gain about 7 strokes.

Yeah,putting is pretty important.
You are missing my point....

I'm not saying that to compete on the highest level you don't have to putt. That's nuts.

But what I'm saying is you can be a very good player - even over 1000 - without the ability to putt well. You can't get to that level without the ability to throw well.

Other wise how could I consistently be one of the top 10 putters in the world for 3 years (and no by opinion, it was proven at multiple world putting championships) but not break 1000 ever? Or even 985?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 84
I'll agree with MTL on this one. It's a lot of fun watching him putt, especially when he's really having a good day. I occasionally cringe when he's on the tee box, though. Good seeing you this weekend, Robert!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM
I think I'm important

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTyburski View Post
I occasionally cringe when he's on the tee box, though.
not as much as I do....
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 48
I'm telling you... HAVE FUN

...but I would say putting otherwise
Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Not that my opinion on the matter is worth much, but I agree with MTL. I tend to keep mental track of where I cost myself strokes during a round, and more of them are from inaccurate drives or botched approach shots than missed putts. I feel that a bad putt will only ever cost you one stroke (tournament roll is bad luck, not bad putting), but a bad drive, especially on a long or dangerous hole, can cost you two or more strokes, as well as preventing birdie opportunities. So the consequences of bad putting add up to less than the compounding consequences of bad driving.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 48
^^This is true also. But I would say "placement off the tee". I see a lot of guys blow up on a hole when they could have just thrown putter-putter-putter for a 3. But instead threw driver-driver-mid-mid-putter for a 5.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Putting is the most important half of the hole. Otherwise it becomes 2/3 of the hole.

Practice putting should be >50% of your practice time.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
I think I'm important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discwrangler View Post
Putting is the most important half of the hole. Otherwise it becomes 2/3 of the hole.

Practice putting should be >50% of your practice time.
You are assuming that the player can throw the disc to the hole on the first shot (assuming opar 3) each time about 75 - 80% of the time.

For 99% of players, this isn't the case.

Putting is what takes you to the next level for sure. But to get good, throwing is way more important than putting.