Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think it's a progression:
First it's throwing anything.. drive, approach, putt accurately, and adding distance.
Of all the people I helped learn the game, it's the initial throwing of the disc that is the most important.. not getting the huge hyzer every time.

Once that is sorted.. distance and accuracy on drives. I would say most rec-inter players need to focus on this.. not as much placing a shot, but not letting it go awry and hurt you.

After that, the 2nd shot.. approach.. On a 400' hole, outdriving another person by 50' is neat, but a good approach shot toward basket puts you both there for a <20' putt, you both end up with a 3. But screwing up the approach, griplocking it right, letting the wind take it, misjudging distance.. etc. This is where inter-adv people are.. getting a steady supply of 3's and not 4-5's from a good approach shot.

Then readdressing the drives... putting more accuracy on it, as well as distance to be able to skip the approach shot.. throwing 350-400 but close enough to putt...

Finally putting.. why last? Because if you get good at your approach, you won't have to make the 30+ ft putts. It comes more into play when you are stretching your drive to get close enough to the pin.

This of course is for normal course play.. 300-500+ ft holes.. playing on shorter courses.. initial drive and putt is all there is.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
You guys can continue to debate, but the fact remains that you are debating a topic that is too broad and therefore has no real answer.

Unless it is broken down into categories (i.e. putting within 10 ft, putting in circle, sinking 50 ft putts, driving distance, driving accuracy, approach accuracy, getting out of trouble shots, etc etc) there is no real way to say what is the best.