Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Eagle Member

I throw a hyzer flip whenever I can. The reasoning is this: if you are hyzer flipping and your hyzer is a few degrees off, the consequences are minimal (you probably won't even notice). If you're throwing flat and you're off the mark and veer even a few degrees into anhyzer, your throw can be ruined.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah I keep on doing that with my z flash. Right now I moved to surges and forces
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 38
It could be the weather as well. When the winter months come the air gets colder and thus more dense. Discs are more unstable in the cold weather. At least they are for me. So I disc up in the winter. With Discraft ratings .5 acts like 0, 1.0 acts like .5 1.5 acts like 1.0 etc.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 68
When you hyzer flip, you are allowing the disc to do more of the work for you, thereby making the job easier on yourself. This increases your allowable margin of error and your chances of a successful shot.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
I disagree I think the hyzer flip is actually very unpredictable to dial in......it is more suitable for bigger distance in the open than for tunnel shots. I just never really got the infatuation with the shot for shots in the woods.

I know many will disagree but its easier for me to throw an appropriate speed disc flat than to overpower and hyzer flip something slower
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
I disagree I think the hyzer flip is actually very unpredictable to dial in......it is more suitable for bigger distance in the open than for tunnel shots. I just never really got the infatuation with the shot for shots in the woods.

I know many will disagree but its easier for me to throw an appropriate speed disc flat than to overpower and hyzer flip something slower
I like to hyzer flip on the tight, wooded holes because I can throw a River laser straight five feet off the ground and have it finish with minimal to no fade. I don't think you can do that as easily with a more stable disc thrown flat. I might be a me to accomplish it with my 7/10 Star Teebird, but I'd have to throw much harder.

In general, I find it easier to hyzer flip something slightly under stable. I don't feel I have to overpower it. Actually, it's easier to throw smoother for me and keep the nose down. To each their own, but the River on a hyzer flip was very useful for me on those tight tunnels and gaps at Brown Deer today.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post

My wood discs are all flippy and I throw hyzerflips on almost every one of them

x buzz
wizards (very beat in)
rocs
pro leopard
pro destroyer
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
To OP. I don't think those discs would normally turn and burn at the 300' range. Unless the wind is really in your face, you have a lot of OAT, or they are beat to heck. If they are that beat, hyzer flip the heck out of them.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 34
A beat up surge is the best disc I've ever thrown. Yes, I have to hyzer flip it, but I can control it better than most discs.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
I hyzer-flip when I'm throwing down the left side of the fairway, and throw flex shots throwing down the right side of the fairway. So that the tendency of the disc is to come back to the middle. I disc down for flips, and up for flexes.