Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Going to be in the Tampa/Clearwater area ...

I'm planning to be in Florida for several days in December, specifically in the Tampa and Clearwater area, and expect to have time to play a round or two of disc golf while I'm there. It's not going to be a disc golf road trip, though, so I'll want to hit one or two highlights rather than try to "bag" a bunch of courses. Are there any "must play" courses that can't be missed? Are there any to avoid? For example, I hear Climo's home course is a beast and a disc eater, with a thriving population of gators, but I also hear it's a great course. I'd love to get the well-informed opinion of locals before I get there.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 85
Climo's course, Cliff Stevens and the nearby Coachman course, are both solid courses, and can eat a disc or two, if you are not careful around the few water holes. Taylor and Tocobaga are also solid, and I would highly recommend Edward Medard. The new 9 holer at Picnic Island is also very cool, and plays right next to Tampa Bay. Make sure to stop by the Clearwater Disc Golf store, if you need some plastic!

There is plenty of good disc golf to be had in the greater Tampa area. Have a fun and safe trip!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
I would say Cliff and Maximo if you had to pick only one or two courses to play.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
I personally really enjoyed Tocobaga and thought that Taylor was somewhat overrated (beautiful course but repetitive shots).
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 85
*Note: Tocobago and Maximo are the same course.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 68
If you are staying on the Clearwater side of the bay, then I would make Cliff Stephens & Coachman the priority and maybe play Taylor Park if you can.

If you are staying on the Tampa side of the bay, then I would make Picnic Island and Edward Medard Park the higher priority.

Maximo, aka Tocobaga, is a nice easier level course in south St. Pete but has been going through a long re-design process after losing their signature hole along with at least one other hole that had to be moved a little over a year ago. The locals have been working hard on the redesign and some holes were temporarily shuffled around a little bit the last time I played there in August. If it weren't for playing handicaps with the locals I would have wandered around trying to figure out the temporary layout which had some overlapping fairways and strange walk-backs down other fairways to get to the next tee, etc.. Hopefully they've finished up with the layout by now and it's vastly improved otherwise I wouldn't go out of the way to play it.

Taylor Park has several pin positions on most holes and every time I've played there, the layout has been different and shot requirements vary, so not sure I can agree with the "repetitive shots" assessment. Maybe a few too many are mostly straight ahead and not enough big lefty or righty hyzer shots required? I suppose I could agree with that somewhat, but certainly no level of repetition that I've noticed during a round. Only real negative I have about Taylor Park is that I lose a disc in the water probably 50% of the time I play there and sometimes you have to wait for pedestrians because there is a busy walking path that goes through the course. Other than that, great course.

My personal ranking of courses in the Tampa Bay area:

1. Cliff Stephens
2. Taylor Park
3. Edward Medard Park (Plant City - 40 mins from Clearwater or 25 from Tampa, traffic pending)
4. Picnic Island
5. Coachman
6. Maximo Park
7. Youth Park
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
*Note: Tocobago and Maximo are the same course.
^^^This.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainedwraith View Post
If you are staying on the Clearwater side of the bay, then I would make Cliff Stephens & Coachman the priority and maybe play Taylor Park if you can.

Taylor Park has several pin positions on most holes and every time I've played there, the layout has been different and shot requirements vary, so not sure I can agree with the "repetitive shots" assessment. Maybe a few too many are mostly straight ahead and not enough big lefty or righty hyzer shots required? I suppose I could agree with that somewhat, but certainly no level of repetition that I've noticed during a round. Only real negative I have about Taylor Park is that I lose a disc in the water probably 50% of the time I play there and sometimes you have to wait for pedestrians because there is a busy walking path that goes through the course. Other than that, great course.
I visited Taylor Park today, since it is the closest course to where I am staying and easy to find. Cliff Stevens is within 30 minutes, according to google, so I may try it later in the week. I must say I was impressed. Maybe it's partially the novelty of the Florida flora to my eyes, but it was a real treat walking around such a pretty park. The layout is a little strange with the backtracking around holes 10-13, but I was lucky enough to catch up with a foursome around hole 3 or 4 who invited me to play with them my first time around the course. The locals have done a really good job making things nice -- I have never seen such outstanding tee signs -- and everyone, from the disc golfers to the dog walkers was very hospitable. I didn't get to see any gators, but I did "donate" a disc on one of the water holes.

Having fun so far! Thanks, Florida!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 25
If you make it a little more Central try Edward Medard as others as suggested. You wont be sorry. And Picnic Island, along with being picturesque, has just amazingly brutal rough. Nice course! Have a great time and enjoy!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

I went to Cliff Stevens today and was again the beneficiary of some local hospitality. A twosome invited me to play with them, and showed me around the course. This is another quality place to play! I didn't have time to finish my second round, but Cliff Stevens and Taylor Park are definitely places I'd like to visit again. Two thumbs up for the Tampa Bay area!