Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Sidearm generates more spin naturally?

First on all, hello to all of you, this is my first post in this forum, but I have read different topics for quite a long time. It is probably the best DG forum out there.
By the way, I am from Estonia and the disc golf is growing here quickly.

But now to the topic. We had a discussion in our forum about sidearm and about the spin sidearm throws generate. In my opinion, sidearm shots naturally generates more spin, compared to backhand shots.
If you look at the exact same shot with the exact same disc and the exact same power (lets say you will throw a Teebird), it looks like the backhand shot flies straight and sidearm will definately turn over a bit.
What do you guys think about it, am I right or am i having delusions

Also I have read somewhere that the sidearm generates more spin and speed at the beginning of the flight, while backhand shots somehow keeps the speed during the flight longer time and therefore glides farther.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
I think the backhand, with good snap, can generate as much spin as the flick.
But you are correct in saying that an average flick generates more spin than the average backhand.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Short answer- no. If it created more spin the disc would stay straighter on a side arm throw.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 178
People think sidearm generates more spin because discs are so much easier to turn over when throwing sidearm. In reality, as rocthecourse pointed out, spin is what keeps a disc stable. Discs turn over when flicking usually due to extra torque generated, not enough spin compared to arm speed, or just poor form in general.

If sidearm generated more spin then people would be throwing sidearm for distance competitions
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
I don't think that:

A) Sidearm drives generate more spin. It's likely OAT that's causing discs to turn over.

and

B) Worrying about how much spin your drive generates is at all useful. How the disc flies is much more important and you can't control spin enough to make a difference on drives, anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 29
the disc turning over onthe sidearm would be indicative of Off Axis Torque likely brought about by a wrist roll

my understanding was that the sidearm generated more initial speed but not necessarily more spin on the disc

given the number of levers on a back hand throw my understanding is that this will generate more spin if not the same initial speed

as pointed out if sidearm had more spin overall you would see longer distances with the sidearm as compared to the back hand

it is spin that generates the lift to keep the disc aloft
Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Hard to say it's really oat that is turning the disc, rather than too much speed or lack of spin. Also spin doesn't really generate lift or is negligible, a disc with more spin typically travels farther due to the disc holding it's inertia longer. Lift is generated more due to speed and wing aerodynamics.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 129
From my experience without getting too technical, I see that throwing sidearm can produce a much quicker snap out of the hand without using too much of your other body (except for the movement of your hips) when I throw a stable disc flat causing my discs to gain a lot of speed right off the bat. But compared to the same flat backhand throw with the correct form I can blast a backhand further distances. If I want to really power a sidearm I have to use a pretty overstable disc like a Boss and throw it with a lot of anhyzer very hard to get about the same distance. This is just about too much work to do for the same distance for most people. I personally think that spin is generated more initially on my side arm shots but later when thrown backhand.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar View Post
First on all, hello to all of you, this is my first post in this forum, but I have read different topics for quite a long time. It is probably the best DG forum out there.
By the way, I am from Estonia and the disc golf is growing here quickly.

But now to the topic. We had a discussion in our forum about sidearm and about the spin sidearm throws generate. In my opinion, sidearm shots naturally generates more spin, compared to backhand shots.
If you look at the exact same shot with the exact same disc and the exact same power (lets say you will throw a Teebird), it looks like the backhand shot flies straight and sidearm will definately turn over a bit.
What do you guys think about it, am I right or am i having delusions

Also I have read somewhere that the sidearm generates more spin and speed at the beginning of the flight, while backhand shots somehow keeps the speed during the flight longer time and therefore glides farther.
Welcome to the forum!

It's always nice to see members from other countries participate.

Also, good job on posting a topic that hasn't already been beaten to death.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroze View Post
From my experience without getting too technical, I see that throwing sidearm can produce a much quicker snap out of the hand without using too much of your other body (except for the movement of your hips) when I throw a stable disc flat causing my discs to gain a lot of speed right off the bat. But compared to the same flat backhand throw with the correct form I can blast a backhand further distances. If I want to really power a sidearm I have to use a pretty overstable disc like a Boss and throw it with a lot of anhyzer very hard to get about the same distance. This is just about too much work to do for the same distance for most people. I personally think that speed is generated more initially on my side arm shots but held later when thrown backhand due to more spin.
ftfy