Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you would like. I might be able to get that day off and be your tour guide for GGP? However, if it's a family thing that's cool. Just thought I'd offer. Either way, you will love GGP. IMO it's one of the best courses out there. I know I'll burn in hell for saying this, but I like it better than De La in Santa Cruz
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Thanks Rescue! I will keep you posted. It is actually after Thanksgiving, so I don't know if you would be able to make that, but I will let you know once we decide on our route.

I have also heard about the Napa rollers, as has my dad, so I don't think he would like it much.

Haven't played DeLa, but if you like GGP better...I better play GGP.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 29.7
Courses Played: 27
Coming from someone who grew up in SF, lived in Marin for 7 years, and plays all 3 courses regularly, here's the deal...

If you time it right, GGP is a lot of fun. I suggest going to play Stafford in the morning, as the commute down to Novato from Rohnert Park doesn't get too backed up until you're further south. Play from maybe 8 - 11 (check on when it opens - not sure if it's earlier or later), then head to the City with no traffic whatsoever. Play from Noon - 2:30 and get the heck outta there before the afternoon and evening commute. If you time it right, you'll have two great rounds and should miss all major traffic snarls.

Golden Gate Park is a great, tight, varied course, with lots of great DG holes. Horribly busy on weekends, but otherwise a lot of fun.

Novato is epic, with incredible wildlife, stunning scenery, long fun holes, but much more wilderness and hard core (big hills, some rollaway potential, and some walks between holes).

I'm a huge fan of Skyline in Napa too, and it's playing great right now (low weeds, a bit softer with less rollaways and turning green from recent rain). Technical shots, great scenery, and a bit shorter than Stafford.

If you've never played any of them, Stafford is hands down the winner in my opinion so make sure that one happens. Skyline and GGP are so completely different, but I tend to favor peace/quiet when playing so I play Skyline a lot more.

All 3 are top notch, so it will be a treat whatever you do. If you want a tour guide for Novato or Napa, let me know and I could probably meet up with you.

Tim S.

P.S. I just played Novato this afternoon and it's incredible right now. First green shoots of grass coming up, ground has softened up a bit, was 65 degrees with no wind. Only saw 2 other groups playing the 4 hours I was out there.

Last edited by timothyasteele; 11-15-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 71
Agree with timothy. Stafford and GG are te courses to play. Sonoma is pretty boring and kind of garbage compared to the other 2.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 29.7
Courses Played: 27
One more thing...if you need food suggestions close to any of the courses, let me know. There is fantastic food close to each of them, with lots to choose from (burgers, Mexican, sandwiches, sushi, etc.)

Tim S.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Thanks guys! My dad works in Novato, so he can get us to the good eats.

I honestly didn't think of playing Stafford first, but that's pretty genius. Get the longer course done when we are less tired, and when there will be less wind. I like it.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 68
Another option is to play Lake Sonoma, which as a new course doesn't have all of its tees done yet but all the baskets are in. You could easily play stafford lake then cruise up 101 to play lake sonoma in the PM, and not worry much about traffic at all.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 56
GGP hosted the SF Safari last weekend and the course is in great shape. The new baskets on numbers 6 and 11 are quite challenging and worth checking out. That said, traffic will be heavy leaving the city on Wednesday afternoon.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 68
the new basket positions on 6 and 11 are challenging. 6 is tournament only while 11 (the temple) is more for a permanent position. 11 definitely makes it much harder to make a birdie or putt from either above or below the basket.

Best idea is to get to GGP early to play it then head north to Stafford.

Or, play Stafford in the am and hit lake sonoma/napa in the pm.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 71
i can't itterate enough. GGP is light years better than sonoma. i only played sonoma once and i was not impressed and frankly bored with it. its just to wide open.