Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Courses Played: 8
New to RHBH throws... any suggestions?

Hello, first time posting on the forums here. Been playing on and off for about 4-5 years now and have only recently started to try the RH Backhand Throws. I throw consistent 325-375 ft drives with forearm and deadly accurate 275-325 ft overhand throws.

The issue with that is I have no chance at swinging a forehand throw to the left and I seem to come across a great deal of holes at the courses I play with turns to the left.

So, recently I started working on my BH throws (recently being within the last two weeks). The farthest I have thrown a BH throw since I started throwing in this fashion is about 245 ft from an elevated tee box throwing sort of down hill with a tailwind... The average distance I get is probably closer to 185ft which again is not something I like to throw. 245 is a far cry from what im used to.

Im not sure if its the grip I use, or just the mechanic of the throw. I typically grip the disc with 4 fingers under lip of the disc (all discs I throw are champion or star plastic innovas, very overstable high speed) and thumb almost matching up with the index finger on top of the disc. General positioning is about 2-3 oclock.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Any sources people think I should view would be great too. So, my introduction is complete, and my issue is out there Thanks for listening.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
sweet username!

it sounds like you are using a power grip, which i use as well, so the grip doesn't seem like the problem...when you throw BH, are your discs going 180' then meathooking?
if so, i would try throwing stuff BH that isn't so overstable, that would be a good first place to start.
get a GL river or a leopard. and a buzzz.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM

They generally fly pretty straight, I just feel like i have 0 OOMF on em. Like I said the comparison between FH and BH throws just makes me feel weeeeeeaaaak.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 21
theoretically, you're OS stuff should be fading hard.....sound like you've got some BH form issues if they are flying straight.....
what OS discs are you throwing BH?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM

I have been throwing a boss, beast, t-rex, and recently purchased an extremely light (145g) ape that im not sure I like at all. I notice when I do throw BH almost every time the throw is very high. When I try to adjust for that it goes straight to the ground. When I release it seems the disc just doesnt have that speed it has when I throw FH. I assumed all along its a form issue as I have never thrown BH and am just getting into that.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 40
It just takes practice.

I would advise against using the high speed drivers you are using now for BH. Leopards, teebirds and Rivers are great options and teaching tools. If you posted a video of your throw, I'm sure you will get some specific advice on your form.

Good luck.

Oh and for what it's worth, my throwing style and distance is opposite of yours. Your BH = my FH.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Haha I see that alot. I outdrive most people FH and cant do anything near what the good BH players do. I will see if I can convince the wife to assist me with the video for some more specific feedback. I will also look into getting a lower speed driver for my BH throws.
No matter how long I play I cant get rid of the epic I carry around just because of the 450-500 foot overhand throws I get outta thing its nasty.
When you are releasing your BH is it a level throw across the chest or is there an angle I am supposed to be applying to keep a steady trajectory?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetslapper View Post
Haha I see that alot. I outdrive most people FH and cant do anything near what the good BH players do. I will see if I can convince the wife to assist me with the video for some more specific feedback. I will also look into getting a lower speed driver for my BH throws.
No matter how long I play I cant get rid of the epic I carry around just because of the 450-500 foot overhand throws I get outta thing its nasty.
When you are releasing your BH is it a level throw across the chest or is there an angle I am supposed to be applying to keep a steady trajectory?
Just like youre backhanding a midget, actually.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDFrosty View Post
Just like youre backhanding a midget, actually.
Hah! well if thats all there is to it I should have some killer drives!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 213
We have discussed this several times. Midget is an offensive term. Can Chainaddicted come back as n!gg@slapper?
how about we make jokes about kicking retards? (aware this is an offensive term as well)