Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
We have discussed this several times. Midget is an offensive term. Can Chainaddicted come back as n!gg@slapper?
how about we make jokes about kicking retards? (aware this is an offensive term as well)
At least prerube me with a link. Slacker
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 17
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 62
I had a very similar process that I just went through about a year ago. When I started I was primarily FH except for midrange approaches, and throw similar distances as you. I wouldn't commit to BH because I couldn't get any distance, and had less accuracy. Now, I can throw a BH as far as a FH and use the BH on just about every shot, unless the hole dictates otherwise. My biggest suggestion is to get some slower discs while you're starting out.

Also, while learning how to pull the disc all the way back and turn away from the target, go out to a field so you don't have to worry so much about accuracy, because it's not going to be there starting out. Learn what works on some throws, and what doesn't. Being able to trust the disc ripping out of your hand, and learning how to accelerate late to make that happen, is the first big stepping point I had.

Then, as you're transitioning from primarily FH to primarily BH, during each round (time permitting); throw each tee as you normally would, but then throw a 2nd shot BH so you can slowly learn to trust yourself and work on your control off a tee.

Try to take a video of yourself throwing BH and post it on here, the Critique thread generates a lot of good responses. Many guys on the forum know what they're talking about.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Courses Played: 8
awesome, appreciate the insight. As for one thing you mentioned imparticular...

"Also, while learning how to pull the disc all the way back and turn away from the target, go out to a field so you don't have to worry so much about accuracy, because it's not going to be there starting out. Learn what works on some throws, and what doesn't. Being able to trust the disc ripping out of your hand, and learning how to accelerate late to make that happen, is the first big stepping point I had."

I think that right there already indicates an issue I have. Im very visual and need to see what im aiming at so I dont turn my back away from the target, it makes sense that the additional spin would add distance to the throw from turning my back to the target... something I have to work on.
As for open field for practice, I live on 100ish acres so that wont be an issue I'll see if I can convince the wife to help me out with a video tomorrow and post it asap. Appreciate the input!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetslapper View Post
I think that right there already indicates an issue I have. Im very visual and need to see what im aiming at so I dont turn my back away from the target, it makes sense that the additional spin would add distance to the throw from turning my back to the target... something I have to work on.
As for open field for practice, I live on 100ish acres so that wont be an issue I'll see if I can convince the wife to help me out with a video tomorrow and post it asap. Appreciate the input!
I had the same problem. I'm still more accurate when I don't have to turn my body all the way, but when learning the throw, I think it helped to generate a little more power behind it. Search for the Dan Beto video and try his method too. Helps break down the throw into easier to understand steps and can help build your throw and show you where to generate your power.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetslapper View Post
(all discs I throw are champion or star plastic innovas, very overstable high speed).
This is your issue. Until you get the snap and arm strength for the backhand throw, you can't throw very overstable high speed drivers like that. You need something understable to stable at a medium-fast speed. I'd suggest anything from a Gazelle to Wraith. Try to stay away from super overstable while learning this throw, you'll be much happier with the results.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM

awesome, great input folks. Do the discs your listing come in champion plastic? I feel like i can actually grip that plastic more so than the others. Larger hands make small lip discs like the orion I have difficult to hold on to at times.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Beside the backhanding of little people:
-Practice throwing from a standstill and getting the reach back. Aim with the spot between your shoulder blades on your back.
-The Dan Beto right pec drill someone mentioned is good.
-Hammer drill.
-Try understable/stable discs in single digit speeds to start. Leopard/Teebird, Roc/Buzz, Putter is a good starting point.

Just my $.02
HTH
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDFrosty View Post
Beside the backhanding of little people:
-Practice throwing from a standstill and getting the reach back. Aim with the spot between your shoulder blades on your back.
-The Dan Beto right pec drill someone mentioned is good.
-Hammer drill.
-Try understable/stable discs in single digit speeds to start. Leopard/Teebird, Roc/Buzz, Putter is a good starting point.

Just my $.02
HTH
Interesting that you bring up the putter... I can throw that putter as far or farther than I can any other disc I have BH... any ideas on what thats all about? lol easily throw the putter (aviar) 200-225 ft consistently

Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 56
Send a message via AIM to KimBrennan
Okay, if you throw right hand back hand and the disk is flying too high (and then curving off to the left) the most common mistake is throwing the disk starting from your hip. The natural motion of your arm will bring the disk up causing it to hyzer.

It may feel very weird, but try throwing with the disc starting at the shoulder, and try to keep your arm level and straight. Keep the disc level, not tilted when releasing it.

Once you start getting used to the throw you can try some other variations (tilting the disc for an anhyzer, with a stable/overstable disc can give you some very nice S curves, especially if you have good wrist snap.)

Some discs will turn over (fly to the right) fairly easily (Valkyries, light weight Katana, etc.) The Ape you throw probably won't go right at all (unless it is blizzard champion and you have tremendous wrist snap.)

I can't throw a forearm (damages my elbow), so I have to throw right hand back hand for nearly everything. I tend to throw a lot of understable plastic, for just that reason (Vulcan, Archon, Valkyrie, Stingray, et al.) For overstable stuff I throw an Xcaliber or Krait (VERY domey). I don't have a strong enough arm for the Ape.