Disc Golf Store
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Backpack help needed....

I have a Revo dual pack and am really not impressed with it. IMO, its just a standard backpack with a frame inside. It's not designed to be a disc golf bag.

I'm a former Survival Instructor in the Air Force and am willing to pay good money for quality equipment. I am looking for something large enough to carry 15 or so discs, a putter, rain jacked, hoodie, 6 pack of beer. My Revo can do this, I just want something different.

I LOVE the look of the Grip bag, but fear that it might not be big enough. I've heard good things about the Mystery Ranch bag as well. Anything else out there that I should be looking at? Where are the best places to buy them as well.

Thanks in advance. My Revo will be for sale too if anyone is interested...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
prodiscus is like a bigger grip i hear i just ordered mine. a lot of people are gonna say to check out the golf mahal made by mystery ranch
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 13
Not sure if you are into Do-It-Yourself Bags, but I was having the same issues as you and decided to make my own for much less than a regular disc golf backpack. The storage in the top compartment I generally use for extra clothing and beer.

Check this out:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=74390
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 87
DIY swiss gear bag. Similar to the revo. Downside is they are oop but the idea is adaptable to other style bags as well. Search for threads started by me to find the write up.

Edit: there is a link in the link posted in the previous post to my old thread. Nnelson copied other peoples work to create "his own design"

Last edited by steve a; 11-15-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 35
1. Mystery Ranch... for the "Survival Instructor in the Air Force " lifetime warantee and tough as nails! 6 pack and 20 discs no prolem!!

2. Prodiscus... larger disc and storage capacity than Grip. Can be too big and heavy if fully loaded.

3. Grip... good disc capacity and some storage. Defacto best bag for "normal use". The minimalist backpack bag. 6 pack? where would it go?

4. all others are here... some of the new bags coming out look promising...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 12
Paging Pwingles and his pic of his Golf Mahal filled with beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
I am looking for something large enough to carry 15 or so discs, a putter, rain jacked, hoodie, 6 pack of beer.
The Grip should be able to do this, albeit a little cramped. The main pocket would be able to hold 15 discs, giving you room for maybe 3 beers in the main, stash another 3 in one of the side pockets, jacket and gear in the other side pocket, putters in the top pocket, which leaves a couple of other pockets available for extra gear/discs. Would be a tight fit for sure, but I think you could definitely make it work with the Grip.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
I've owned the following:

GripEQ (1st -3rd runs)
Physical Flight Chally Bag
Prodiscus backpack
Revo Dual Pack
Gateway Backpack

Out of all 5 I would recommend the Chally bag for the comfort and it has room for around 25 discs easy. I know people with the Mystery Ranch backpack but it is a really large bag but extremely comfortable. The prodiscus bag is made of the cheapest material in my opinion (its probably backed with facts as well).
Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyoda44 View Post
3. Grip... good disc capacity and some storage. Defacto best bag for "normal use". The minimalist backpack bag. 6 pack? where would it go?
I typically carry 14 discs...2 putters up top and the other 12 in the main compartment. It is easy for me to fit 4 beers in there along with the 12 discs. The other 2 can fit in the drink holders on each side of the bag.

Still have room in the other pockets for towels and other misc items.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I typically carry 14 discs...2 putters up top and the other 12 in the main compartment. It is easy for me to fit 4 beers in there along with the 12 discs. The other 2 can fit in the drink holders on each side of the bag.

Still have room in the other pockets for towels and other misc items.
You could get a 6 pack and 15 discs in almost all of the backpack bags to be honest.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
I've owned the following:

GripEQ (1st -3rd runs)
Physical Flight Chally Bag
Prodiscus backpack
Revo Dual Pack
Gateway Backpack

Out of all 5 I would recommend the Chally bag for the comfort and it has room for around 25 discs easy. I know people with the Mystery Ranch backpack but it is a really large bag but extremely comfortable. The prodiscus bag is made of the cheapest material in my opinion (its probably backed with facts as well).
Now if only you had the Flak and Golf Mahal, you'd have almost all of them covered. I'm really tempted to get the Chally, but I had been waiting to hear from someone that has experience with other backpacks as well. Thanks for posting, and I think I might have to get one next spring.