Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 740
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
OK you Northeasters?

I might be headed to the Northeast in mid January through Mid February . . . Anything I need to know. Any great courses that close down because of the winter? What city/State are you from and how is the snow cover and temperatures that time of year?

If I do come . . . I will have to play at least 1 course in each state (NY, NJ, PA, MA, MD, CT, DE, VT, NH, ME) because I might not make it back here for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Birdie Member

You could end up with 4' of snow and -20F or dry ground and 60F...but coming from WI you're no stranger to the fluffy stuff (or the glazed icy stuff, depending)...so I won't bore you with the "make sure you're properly clothed, etc." stuff.

If your intent is to play 'at least 1 course in each state' and your time is precious, due to access (to highways, etc.) the courses you most conveniently might play may not be the "best N.E. has to offer". Y'all have to be more specific.

Do you like hard / easy, short / long, wooded / open (well, relatively open)?

IMO - while maybe not the easiest to get to - the combination of best / hardest for each state that you could play during that time frame might be:
NY = Warwick, NJ = Alexandria Park, PA = Nockamixon, MA = Maple Hill, MD = Scarboro Hills, CT = West Thompson Lake, and DE = Carousel. As for NH, VT, and ME, I'm not exactly sure which courses close down for the winter BUT if these don't close, then NH = Beauty Hill, VT = North Calais, and ME = Pleasant Hill.

Karl
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
You could end up with 4' of snow and -20F or dry ground and 60F...but coming from WI you're no stranger to the fluffy stuff (or the glazed icy stuff, depending)...so I won't bore you with the "make sure you're properly clothed, etc." stuff.

If your intent is to play 'at least 1 course in each state' and your time is precious, due to access (to highways, etc.) the courses you most conveniently might play may not be the "best N.E. has to offer". Y'all have to be more specific.

Do you like hard / easy, short / long, wooded / open (well, relatively open)?

IMO - while maybe not the easiest to get to - the combination of best / hardest for each state that you could play during that time frame might be:
NY = Warwick, NJ = Alexandria Park, PA = Nockamixon, MA = Maple Hill, MD = Scarboro Hills, CT = West Thompson Lake, and DE = Carousel. As for NH, VT, and ME, I'm not exactly sure which courses close down for the winter BUT if these don't close, then NH = Beauty Hill, VT = North Calais, and ME = Pleasant Hill.

Karl
I agree with you however, in nj I would play south Vineland park or stafford woods(only nne holes but a lot of fun, nice challenging and technical). As for pa nockamixion is an awesome course, but if your in the area you have to play Tyler state park. The best in Delaware I iron hill. By far
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
i would be intrested in playing mt kisco if you were to play it
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 370
MD-DE-PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
I might be headed to the Northeast in mid January through Mid February . . . Anything I need to know. Any great courses that close down because of the winter? What city/State are you from and how is the snow cover and temperatures that time of year?

If I do come . . . I will have to play at least 1 course in each state (NY, NJ, PA, MA, MD, CT, DE, VT, NH, ME) because I might not make it back here for a long time.
For the Baltimore-area weather, you could find anything from 2' of snow (2010, 2011 - I could hardly play in Jan-Feb), or quite mild (2012 - I played practically every day in Jan-Feb). Typically, you'll probably have decent enough (40s) weather to play.

Course-wise, I'll only address (central) MD, (eastern) PA, and (northern) DE. My suggestion is you should read the reviews, and see what best suits your style/desire. That said, my recommendations are:

Maryland
  • Rockburn is my local/favourite - 175 rounds so far this year
  • Patapsco, Seneca, Scarboro, and Druid are all fine choices, and quite different from each other as well
  • I could probably meet you for a round at any of these
Delaware
  • Iron Hill, with two tees/two baskets per hole, offers quite a challenge
  • Brandywine if you like going up/down/across a large, open, scenic hill
  • White Clay if you want more of a "classic"/typical course
  • (Trap or Killens Pond if you head farther south)
Pennsylvania
  • Many, many great choices. My top few of those I've played ...
  • Camp Sankanac has good variety, but limited availability
  • Nockamixon might be the toughest course I've ever played
  • Tyler is quite nice and very well maintained
  • Jordan Creek offers good challenges along with a classical feel
  • Quakers Challenge, Whispering Falls, Coyote Hills are all good if you're more towards Harrisburg
Hope you have a great trip!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
Most courses around here (NH) stay open in the winter. As Karl said, it really depends on what kind of course you're looking for and what route you're taking. Bellamy park, muldoon park, top o the hill, and beauty hill are all good NH options.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
For MD courses, Patapsco or Seneca Creek would be my choices for "best" course (although I haven't played Scarboro yet). Rockburn is very fun, close to I-95, and winter is a good time to play it.

If you would like someone to point you to the next tee at one of the MD courses, let me know.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 66
also down to play in MD if you make it out here. swatso's recommendations are spot on. depending on which way you are traveling, rockburn/druid/patapsco are probably the most accessible options. if you end up wanting to play druid, i'd be glad to guide you on the 9 x-holes. even without a guide, they are still pretty easy to follow. the main 18 is a nice park course with some elevation but the x-holes are totally different (wooded) and provide a nice balance.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
driving or flying then driving?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Driving the whole way . . . we might go south first then come up the coast from the Carolinas and then heading home through PA and OH