Disc Golf Store
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tistoude View Post
My worst rounds in past BG's were White and Preston Miller on windy days. Pittsburgh's courses just don't prepare you for that stuff.
I practiced last week throwing an all putter round at a wide open pitch and putt in 30+mph wind. Learning to throw an approach shot into that type of headwind was TOUGH...but i got some good info from making myself do it for an hour or so.

Just took 5 KC Aviars out there, and threw until i could do it....worked on a forehand putter roller into the wind too....didn't go so well. hopefully all my wind practice the last few months will do me good on the more open courses of BG Ams.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 53
Here's a tip from a BG player: we hate the wind too. Get a zone, drone, Firebird, etc and throw hyzers
Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
Here's a tip from a BG player: we hate the wind too. Get a zone, drone, Firebird, etc and throw hyzers
Done, done, and done
Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
I actually was having great luck throwing an anhyzer line (almost a max d line) with my aviar into head wind. Probably about a 30-40 deg angle to the left (RHBH) and it was reliably fading in toward the basket. I kept trying to hold a hyzer line, and it would flip uncontrollably on me. (meaning i didn't know how much or when it would flip, so i couldn't play the flip).

Started parking the hole consistently throwing that shot though. Surprised the hell out of me. But basically i was taking the unreliable flip out of the game, and just playing the certain anhyzer line to the basket. I probably threw 30 shots into the same wind trying different throws, and this anny line was the best (for wide open shot at least) gonna try it again but with drivers if I play in bad wind again in the coming weeks.

The article on discraft's site about dealing with the wind was a great help to me. All about knowing what the wind will do to your disc, and insuring you throw the disc that will handle that effect the best. So not always just hyzer, but sometimes an anny is the best move, or how the wind affects the skip at the end of a throw, etc.

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 83
I'm in!! just registered!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupaloop3611 View Post
this is about right

The video could be from the final 9 a couple years ago - Field behind Wah-Bahs is no fun in the wind. Add me to the Wind-Haters club, I've had the misfortune of playing Phil Moore in wind or the wind/rain mix each of the past two years - Not a fun experience!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
I actually was having great luck throwing an anhyzer line (almost a max d line) with my aviar into head wind. Probably about a 30-40 deg angle to the left (RHBH) and it was reliably fading in toward the basket. I kept trying to hold a hyzer line, and it would flip uncontrollably on me. (meaning i didn't know how much or when it would flip, so i couldn't play the flip).

Started parking the hole consistently throwing that shot though. Surprised the hell out of me. But basically i was taking the unreliable flip out of the game, and just playing the certain anhyzer line to the basket. I probably threw 30 shots into the same wind trying different throws, and this anny line was the best (for wide open shot at least) gonna try it again but with drivers if I play in bad wind again in the coming weeks.

The article on discraft's site about dealing with the wind was a great help to me. All about knowing what the wind will do to your disc, and insuring you throw the disc that will handle that effect the best. So not always just hyzer, but sometimes an anny is the best move, or how the wind affects the skip at the end of a throw, etc.http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html
There is certainly more than one way to deal with the wind, but (with a direct headwind) I've always just thrown something so overstable that it will fly the same no matter what the wind is doing. i.e. zones drones and firebirds
Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Sold out!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames1014 View Post
I'm in!! just registered!
Congratulations sire! Welcome to the Show!

Now, like Crash Davis once taught me, we need to work on your cliches...write this down: "I'm just glad to be here...", "...the Good Lord willin', things'll work out...", "...hope I can help the ball club.." wait, what?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 83
Quote:
check! Zone , Gator, Firebird. Anything else?