Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
From the tee...Visual anchor point OR Mental image of target line

I am curious as to what most players use for reference when teeing off. In ball golf you keep your head down,eyes on ball, in bowling you keep your eyes on the arrows or specific boards. However in DG during the run-up your torso (and head) rotate nearly 180 degrees away from target. Here's the question, do most players release based in the mental picture of the shot they imagined or do they try pick up their reference point visually as they rotate around during the run-up. The bowling anology seems most fitting, you pick your arrow or board based on where you want the ball to finish and the movement you put on the ball but during your approach you don't turn your head around behind you and then try to find your arrow visually as you're sliding to the foul line about to releasethe ball.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 74
For forehand, I pick a spot to aim for and stay fixated on that spot throughout the motion of the throw (with one small glance downward to find the spot for my plant foot).

For backhand it's more about trust. I generally know where my disc is going to go relative to my own position. So I adjust my stance/run-up to line up to the particular gap I want to hit and then trust that my consistency is going to put the disc where I expect it to go. It's much less about visual cues and more about feel and positioning.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
I visualize the line and aim for the apex, so I'm picking a point about halfway to the target that I want the disc to go through. If I'm throwing full power I don't pick it up visually during my throw, but if I'm powering down to hit a really tight line I do.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
I rely most on a really strong and straight reachback and use that line as a near field reference of the line I throw on. Controlling my disc through the reachback determines my accuracy. If I didn't use that line I'd end up relying on what Brad talked about - trusting that your body knows how to throw type of thing... which some people are way better at than me.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 30
I might be doing it wrong but currently I throw to almost a mental image or awareness in 3D space of what my target is. If I try to look at the target (start line, typically) I won't turn my shoulders back as far and I'll spin a little slower.

But I'd love to hear that I should work on that if I should, because then it'd be another way I could get better.

But in watching video of pros, almost none of them seem to be looking anywhere near the target when they actually release the disc, either.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
Ken Climo once said that when he goes into reach back, he still keep target in sight via corner of his eye. I could not do that at full reach back so I rely on mental image of visual target.

Sometimes I look at the disc at max reach back, sometimes I just think of one thing and not being aware of looking something.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
The more flexible you are, the more you can turn and keep your your target at least in the corner of your eye. I used to be able to get a MUCH further reach back and keep my target in my eye (just barely) but nowadays I can't. And i bet this has something to do with my loss of accuracy. I need to work on my flexibility all winter to hopefully get my reach back where it used to be.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 84
I'll let you know after I throw a practice round this afternoon. I can't visualize how I visualize from my classroom computer.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 61
I use a little of both. When I step up to the tee box, the first thing I do is try to visualize what line the disc needs to fly on. This determines the disc and angle I'm going to throw. When I'm getting ready to take my shot I'll follow that line and try to pick out a specific point, and line everything up to that, taking a few practice 'swings' to make sure I am lined up to that target. Then when I actually throw, everything should be on that point and on that correct line.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
I visualize my line, then when I throw I completely miss the line and somehow still sneak through a 2 ft gap in the trees and proceed to act like that was the line I intended to hit