Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 41
prime disc question

what is up with prime discs? I have heard numerous stories of ppl overpaying big time- 30 some bucks for a metal flake teedevil and on eBay a lot of their discs are 40 $ over priced and some of their discs are advertised wrong, like a cowtana that says it is first run and they are second or third runs...

has anyone else noticed this and maybe I'm in the wrong for bringing this up but misinformation and jacking up prices on discs doesn't seem right
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsu12345 View Post
what is up with prime discs? I have heard numerous stories of ppl overpaying big time- 30 some bucks for a metal flake teedevil and on eBay a lot of their discs are 40 $ over priced and some of their discs are advertised wrong, like a cowtana that says it is first run and they are second or third runs...

has anyone else noticed this and maybe I'm in the wrong for bringing this up but misinformation and jacking up prices on discs doesn't seem right
If someone is stupid enough to pay those prices that's their business. With the advent of Google, nobody should overpay for anything when comparative shopping is as easy as a few clicks.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
If someone is stupid enough to pay those prices that's their business. With the advent of Google, nobody should overpay for anything when comparative shopping is as easy as a few clicks.
I can see both sides here.
On one hand, newbs kinda expect that retail stores will charge a fair price.
OTOH, "Buyer Beware", you should do some comparative shopping. If Prime Discs can't sell it at the price they're charging, they'll lower the price.

My last point is that I've gotten some incredible plastic from Prime Discs at an incredibly low price, which leads me to believe that their bad pricing and labeling may be ignorance, not dishonest intent.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

You're talking about the ebay store for Prime, not the Prime Discs website. The Prime site doesn't sell collectibles -- there is a separate eBay Store for Prime that carries collectibles.

We try and get those descriptions as accurate as possible, and right now we're trying to confirm your claim that the Cowtana is not a 1st run. If we can prove that, we'll change the description.

Collectibles are worth what they're worth to the buyer. We'd like to see disc golf assign some real value to vintage and historic collectibles. If it's 20 years old, it should be worth more than modern stock retail, regardless if anyone still throws it.

It's not oxygen, it's a frisbee. If you feel the price is jacked up, don't bid. We're trying to retain value for our sport's collectible market, not jack up prices. C'mon, these discs are available from individuals all over the place. As a business dealing in sports collectibles, our responsibility is to not further this cheap and watered-down collectible market. We aren't ever gonna be the guys trying to sell a collectible for cheap. And if you own collectibles yourself, I'd imagine that a move towards real value would be in your interest.

As with a range of theories about our mainstream approach to business (which to the DG universe may look completely foreign) I would ask -- selling some collectibles for higher than they're available elsewhere... does that sound like we're trying to fool a few people, and that's our entire reasoning and motivation? No. We want those discs to be valued and reach the right hands. We want vintage and collectible discs to be treated similar to every other sports collectible. The meager profits from a collectible on eBay can be dwarfed by a decently-crafted retail promo from my desk. So it's more about acting on what we view as sustainable practices for the sport and its collectible market than here-and-there scamming a few extra bucks from a noob.

And with all that said, I understand that at the end of the day we have a collectible listed for more than Joe Trunksales will have it on the forum. That's simply gonna be an issue that some people don't like, but we've carefully considered this approach and are doing it for a deeper reason than meager profits or tricking people.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 41
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I never thought about it from your side and you seem very honest. I checked through some of your other listings and you have some great deals! I need to find out how to delete this. I am very sorry bud
Old 11-23-2012, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I never thought about it from your side and you seem very honest. I checked through some of your other listings and you have some great deals! I need to find out how to delete this. I am very sorry bud
No worries my man, it's a concern we've heard several times. I don't mind if this stays up, because it really is an honest explanation of our goals with the eBay side.

Hopefully I don't sound all rage-y with my explanation. Like I said, our mainstream business approach is (unfortunately) totally foreign to the disc golf universe, and sometimes we've gotta explain our reasoning. After years of reading some wild theories (seriously, money laundering has been tossed in the ring!) we just decided to lay it out whenever questions came up.

No harm in Q&A!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 9
thanks Zam. as a brick and mortar retail store people always grip about my disc prices even though im under msrp. if non: tax paying, rent owning, loan paying, overhead having joe creepy van driver can sell you a disc for cheaper than go for it. to sell something to only make a buck not only pulls it out of my inventory but prevents someone who really wants it and is willing to pay a FAIR price from buying it.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
If Nordstrom has a shirt for $60 and JCPenney has it for $40. I buy it from Nordstrom. (Not always, this is being used to make my point) Why? Because at the club, the girls will know it's from Nordstrom and I'll get more action. Or I'll end up sinking more putts with the Nordstrom? How is that possible? It's mental, you feel more important in the more expensive one. Therefore you act more important. Therefore you ARE more important!