Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Minimalist advantage?

I know everyone here is addicted to buying plastic, but for practical purposes are you better off to have more discs or fewer? As you can see in my sig, I only carry 4 molds. I think it has improved my game. I know all my discs well and am confident they will do what I want them to do.
So is my opinion correct?

This has probably been discussed on here a lot. However, Johnny Depth showed me the new thread button and I thought I'd try it.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 15
yeah this probably belongs in another thread or you could post it in the bag section.

truth is you are correct you need to make the discs do and fly the way you want and to understnad how to do this...if you change your back every few weeks you will never learn hyzer flips and how to throw the disc the correct distance. i carry a condor in the bag adn throw it maybe once every 100 holes and it is usually a bad shot/choice...do i need 10 molds to win? I know a guy that murders everyone with 3 discs....if he shows up you lose! but he can make those discs do exactly what he wants! dude is wicked putter which helps.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerM View Post
I know everyone here is addicted to buying plastic, but for practical purposes are you better off to have more discs or fewer? As you can see in my sig, I only carry 4 molds. I think it has improved my game. I know all my discs well and am confident they will do what I want them to do.
So is my opinion correct?

This has probably been discussed on here a lot. However, Johnny Depth showed me the new thread button and I thought I'd try it.
Advantage? That's a tough term to define. There's a reason why the best players in the world have 30 discs in their bag. So it would be tough to argue going minimal is an "advantage."

Is it beneficial to newer players? Absolutely. Learn your few discs and you'll grow faster. Players who give a disc a week and try something new are going to stunt their abilities. But, you also have to try new discs to find what works best for your throwing style, fits in your hands, etc. So it's a tough balance.

Most players I feel start small, grow their bag out of proportion, then start to whittle it down. I started with 3 or 4, went crazy up to 25+, now I'm down to about 12 (with 3 or 4 of them being minimal use utility discs).
Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

When you are learning the game it sure makes it easier to wrap your mind around disc selection. Once you have the skills though it doesn't have as many advantages. I like the idea of having like 3-4 slots in your bag filled by your "core" molds that you know really well, and then sprinkling in a few specialty discs to make shots that are very difficult with your core discs easier.

For example if you look at my sig I carry the Anode, Axis, Volt, PD, and Sword as my main molds. I then have an overstable mid that I use for wind or hard turns, a really overstable driver, and a really understable driver.

Last edited by discspeed; 11-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
I think a minimal bag is good up to a point. Having fewer molds lets you know how your discs fly better IME. It also limits wrong disc selection. Many times I see guys that carry 20+ discs stare at their bag trying to figure out which disc to throw. When I walk up to a lie I usually already know which disc I'm going with. I keep 3-4 distance drivers, 2 fairway/control drivers, 3 mids and 3 putters. Each category has an OS, stable, and US slot. For instance, the mids I carry are a Gator(OS), Spider(stable), and Buzzz(stable/US). So disc selection is straight forward. You could argue that 13 discs isn't minimalist but compared to some bags I've seen it is to me.

At the same time, you can have too few discs. There may be a gap that needs filled at times when you only carry a half-dozen discs or so. IMO, your bag would benefit from a couple more molds. But maybe it works for your style...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 62
ultimately it depends on what gives you the most confidence. mold minimalism is nice in that you should be familiar with those molds and should feel confident when throwing them. on the other hand though, sometimes there is a line or type of throw that the disc in question is jut not good at, so you go find a mold that works.

if you look at discspeed's example all of his core molds are straight discs that might have a bit of fade, and then he adds under or overstable compliments to what he feels like he can't get with those core molds. i personally think this is the best approach. find a few molds that fit your throwing style and you throw well, and then fill in the gaps from there.

the purpose of the game is to complete the course in as few of strokes as possible. if you feel like you can do it with 10 discs based on 4 molds or 25 discs based on 17 molds it really doesn't matter, at that point it's mental. do what you feel is going to give you the best chance of shooting the lowest score possible.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Right now I'm carrying an all MVP bag. That's only 5 discs. The last 2 rounds I've shot within 1-2 strokes of my best ever.

However, I find that you need certain discs for certain shots that make the shot easier. One disc CAN do it all, but at my skill level it's just easier to use different discs. BUT, on the upside, I'm learning how to make shots with fewer discs...so it kind of goes both ways.

Once you know your discs well, and learn to make shots, especially if you develop a strong FH, AND BH...you can be very competitive with just a few discs.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
As a new player, I'm seeing the benefits of starting small. But I also see how that will evolve over time as I become more familiar with my existing bag then start sprinkling in a new mold every once in a while. The courses one plays probably also does a lot to dictate the size of a bag. There are courses I play which I'd need nothing longer than a mid, and some where I'd need big distance (which I don't even have yet).

I'm a fan of the idea of the Nutsac bag, 6 discs. I think for most folks, for casual rounds, they wouldn't need any more than that.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Not to sound glib but; Your better off with what works for YOU.

Sooo much of this game comes down to confidence and the mental aspect. If you feel you have trouble deciding which disc to throw for a given shot, and need to slim down on discs and throw the same discs with different throws, then that will probably work for you.

If you really feel you need to have slightly different discs to make different shots, and kind of second guess your ability to make a certain shot with one of only a few discs you carry, then that will probably work for you. No single way is correct. Some people play great with 4-7 discs. Some people play great with 12-15. Others play great with 18-20. Likewise, there are some folks who carry 20 discs and still suck. I've tried it all, and pretty much come to realize I'm just mediocre and that's all there is to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
I'm a fan of the idea of the Nutsac bag, 6 discs. I think for most folks, for casual rounds, they wouldn't need any more than that.
Never go anywhere without your Nutsac!

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 11-17-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 19
I was listening to DGTR Live the other day and Feldberg mentioned that he only uses 4-5 main molds. Hearing that from one of the world's very best players cemented my opinion that I only need 4-5 molds. That doesn't mean I'm only using 6 discs on the course. Different plastics, weights, stages of wear etc. can give a lot of flexibility to a "minimalist" bag. Just my opinion. But, I definitely enjoy buying new plastic and trying out new stuff as well