Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: "Linear/start line aimer" vs. "Non-linear/finish position aimer"? (See first pos
Linear/Start Line Aimer 51 49.51%
Non-Linear/Finish Position Aimer 26 25.24%
It changes / I don't know 26 25.24%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 44
I visualize the entire path the disc should take to accomplish my goal on the hole. Then I imagine a point 15'-20' away that if the disc is on the right angle, with the right power and passes that point, it will be a good toss and do the path i'd like.

In golf, i visualize my entire putt path that the ball needs to go, but focus 12" in front of the ball along that path. same concept

In bowling, i visualize the entire path of the ball on the lane, but aim at the first set of arrows along that path. same concept

Whenever i throw just focusing on the end result(landing area), i may miss tree branches that are in the way, since i gloss over them to see the end. Whereas visualizing the entire path insures that the path is clear the whole way. This also breaks it down into a more maneable goal "Hit the spot 20' away" is a bit easier to be successful on compared to "land accurately 300' away, while S-curving"

At least that is how i do it when i'm playing well and have a strong mental game (note: not this year in tournaments, dangit)

Edit: to clarify my answer. I am a combo person. I non-linear look at the putt, and approach it aware of the whole path i want, but then i break it down to the finite linear view for my final focus point.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
I voted non-linear. I think that I try to visualize the entire flight line and release on that line. I have to consciously think about how hard to throw to reach my target (either the basket or a landing spot). If I'm focusing on the length I have to throw, I tend to block out the tree I have to get around, or the fade point coming back to the landing point. I do that in ball golf too and in putting. I can't fade or draw, so I'm thinking distance and height, and putting I am thinking length of the putt after I adjust for the break.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
I try to envision my entire shot from start to finish, so maybe a little of both? I don't see a gap and think "just hit the gap at an anhyzer". I see a gap and think, "Hit the gap right in line with that leaf in the background then have the anhyzer kick in and pull the disc right, just to the left of that other tree, then start to fade, hit the ground in that area over there, then skip to the green." I think out the whole shot and gauge my chances of hitting all the aspects of the shot perfectly, then consider the repercussions of failure at any given point in the shot and adjust to minimize unnecessary risks. This is likely the result of playing at a heavily wooded course so often. I'm not sure which of the two my complicated analytical process would fall under... Edit - sounds like Non-linear actually.
It sounds like linear actually. If you're looking at a leaf and then "letting the anhyzer kick in" that's linear/start line.

Everyone eventually plans for the disc to end up near the target. It's just a matter of how it "feels" to get it there.

I'll put it another way: the non-linear person will choose the shape that accomplishes it, the linear will choose the line that accomplishes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I do both. I generally use the linear method for longer shots. I use the non-linear for most of my finesse shots and upshots.
I feel similar to that, though for any shot that isn't flat I tend to go more non-linear.

wake911, that's all linear. As someone else above said, everyone can picture the whole path. That's not what separates linear/non-linear. The difference is primarily whether you're mostly focused on the start line and let the flight take care of itself, or if you focus on the flight and just let the start line take care of itself.

Last edited by iacas; 11-19-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 34
I am definitely the 2nd one, I wish I was the first one.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
It changes, but primarily, if I can be linear, I am.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 24
In comparison to the golf putt, I definitely am starting at the first break that I want it to take and aiming there. Deciding on strength of throw would be more associated with where the actual target is. however my initial aiming is always at a certain point...ie: to fade off the tree in the distance....
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 31
Depends on the hole and shot for me. On wooded holes, I'll pick out a tree to aim at and let the disc do the work front there. On more open holes, I'll focus on where the disc will end up and just throw a shot that I know will get the disc to that point. I guess it comes down to whether there is actually something to avoid and aim at or not.

In golf I am the same way. From the tee, generally I will see the end of the shot and just hit a shot that will put it there, but when I am trying to hit near the pin, I'll pick out a specific spot to aim at and work the ball from there.

Oh, and putting I am linear in both forms of the sport.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 76
Both and more, all simultaneously.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
"Hit the spot 20' away" is a bit easier to be successful on compared to "land accurately 300' away, while S-curving"
I grew up playing ball golf pretty much since I could walk and I totally agree with that quote.

When putting, in ball golf it was always stressed for me to see the entire line first, but pick a blade of grass 2-3 feet out to aim at. When you stand over the putt you tell yourself "If I can roll the ball over that blade of grass it will go in."

Chipping and pitching are similar, but you pick a landing spot instead of a blade of grass to roll through.

When taking a full swing I played a cut fade and usually aimed at a bunker, tree, or edge of the green/fairway. Then you line your whole body up to that spot and keep your swing directly on plane with a line from that spot, through the ball, and continuing back through. After that you trust that the ball is going to fade 5-10 yards every time so you don't worry about that part.

I do almost the same thing in disc golf. Visualize the whole flight, then pick a gap to hit, then find a point on the horizon to aim at, trust your disc to fade a certain amount (dependent on what disc you pull,) and let it rip right on that line.

I do the same thing with putting. Short putts I pick a chain high and right, long putts I usually pick an imaginary spot high and right of the basket.

Aiming this way and developing a reliable, easy to replicate, throwing motion makes the game much easier for me. It helps under pressure a lot too. This way I'm not worried about making the perfect throw, being off my desired axis when throwing, or releasing late or early. I just step up to the box, pick a point, and throw the same way I've done a few thousand times before.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 7
I'm definitely a linear aimer. Even if I think of the shape of the shot I want to hit from the target backwards, when I figure out how to accomplish that shot I aim linearly.