Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: "Linear/start line aimer" vs. "Non-linear/finish position aimer"? (See first pos
Linear/Start Line Aimer 51 49.51%
Non-Linear/Finish Position Aimer 26 25.24%
It changes / I don't know 26 25.24%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
It depends how I'm hitting my putts before a round. If I'm putting better one way better I will tend to putt that way for the most part and make adjustments from there depending on how things are going. I find myself putting better when I think about it as little as possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 37
anything with a putter i look at where i want to land and look at only this. ie basket, circle, and i know my wizard will play the shot to the right with expected fade.

on a dog leg hole 300 ill pick up my drone and focus on the spot i need to hit, or the breaking point as i refer to it, whereas the disc will start its fade and wrap around the later half of the dog leg.

so i guess with both im really letting the disc do the 'break' and my mind pick the spot
Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 59
I'm still mediocre, but I imagine that the more experienced you become, the less you conceptualize an "aim point." You visualize the shot, and alignment/footwork/muscle memory/disc physics does the rest.

For me, I actually do something similar to ball golf putting...pick a spot right out in front of the pad (20 ft) that I want to hit. So I'm mostly a "startline" guy.

It takes some of both ideas to execute consistently? Picking a target line won't help if you don't know what your discs do.

Long annys are the hardest for me at this point. I will variously a) start the line too far to the LEFT (inconsistent anny release/form) or b) or too far right, throwing right through the curve I want (not trusting disc to roll over/hold the turnover line) and into the woods. (As a RHBH-er.)

PS, you guys that can use spin for accuracy, i.e. later or earlier breaking fades with the same disc: I hate you. That is all....
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I do both. I generally use the linear method for longer shots. I use the non-linear for most of my finesse shots and upshots.
This.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 96
Non-linear unless I have to hit a specific window.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
It changes depending on the shot/conditions/other factors.

For the most part I aim straight and throw straight. But there are times when I actually try and envision how I can throw a disc up and over, or around an obstacle.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 47
For me, it changes. If I am playing a heavily wooded course, then I aim for the gaps (actually I just pretend that that the trees aren't there). So, that would be a line that I am trying to hit. If I am in the open, then I aim for the pin in a more for the safe zone/ circle.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Id have to say i do a little of both.for tight wooded courses i use certain trees as points to aim for when i want the disc to break.on more open courses i envision the line and focus on the landing area.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
I adjust my aim point to account for movement I know the disc will do. For putting in particular, I like to aim high and to the right knowing my disc will drop and fade.
^ this.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
I think this boils down to how well you know your discs and how consistent of a thrower you are. When I was new to the game, I didn't know how my disc would fly, I just wanted to get to the landing so I would huck and pray that my disc would get where I wanted. Now that I've gained a lot of consistency in my throws and know my discs, I can visualize the line I want to take and know, that if I hit the right spot early in the flight, my disc will make the lines I ask of it.

I think this is more like Bowling than Golf though. Do you aim for the first set of arrows, or do you aim for the pins? It all boils down to how consistently you throw and whether or not you trust your equipment.