Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 338
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Phoenix/ Mesa AZ area

Hey guys. I'm gonna be in Mesa for spring training later this month and will have time to play 1 course. In looking at the courses in the area it seems like most are mediocre at best. Is Fountain hills the one to play if I only have time for one? seems like the "best" option.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16

I guess it'd help to know what you're judging the mediocre on. Mostly, because if you're not going to dig desert courses.. I'd not suggest Buffalo Ridge (which, otherwise.. I would.. it's something totally different than anything in the midwest).

Oh and yea.... not much here in terms of shot shaping courses.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 775
Throwing Style: RHFH

I would go for Buffalo Ridge as well. I really like the course and agree that it is nothing like what you will see in the Midwest,

Last edited by Shuie; 02-03-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: RHFH
Default Mesa/Phoenix traveler disc golf

I dont live in the area so i havent played all the courses but have had to make many day trips to phoenix and squeezed in rounds at many of the higher rated local courses and Fountain Hills was far and away the most fun to play for me. The town is a little out of the way so plan your time accordingly but the drive out there is nice, I felt the course was everything they make it out to be, the scenery is great and it all leads to an overall a great disc golf experince (IMO). The courses I tried closer to phoenix were fun, pretty and interesting but none quite had the feel of fountain hills so if you have the time go for it. My favorite of the more 'desert style' courses was Buffalo Ridge as it had the roughest terrain and was totally different from the courses i'm used to in Tx. One downside to Fountain hills is that it has grass and doesnt have much of the unique desert feel that many of the phoenix courses have, furthermore it is in a moderately crowded community park so the park lacks some of the natural charm of the lower rated courses in phoenix.
Either way you go, enjoy your trip!

Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
I guess it'd help to know what you're judging the mediocre on. Mostly, because if you're not going to dig desert courses.. I'd not suggest Buffalo Ridge (which, otherwise.. I would.. it's something totally different than anything in the midwest).

Oh and yea.... not much here in terms of shot shaping courses.

I am judging the mediocrity on the reviews of the highest rated courses in that area. I shouldn't be so quick to judge seeing that I haven't played in this area and im sure it is quite different than the Midwest. I am more interested in shot shaping courses with some good woods. That being said, I can appreciate the differences in courses across the US.

Buffalo ridge was on my radar but I was kinda turned off by a lot of the reviews. It seemed like fountain hills was the place to go but im not sure if that is just cause of the course being hyped only because the memorial is played there. That is why I wanted to get insight from some locals.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: LHBH

I'm not a local but I go to Phoenix for Spring Training baseball and disc golf every year. I've played in the Memorial several times and any of the three courses are fun to play, especially in the tourney layout. Fiesta Lake is a really fun course with plenty of trees and shot shaping. Some good water holes too. Its on a ball golf course so it costs a few bucks to play but no interference from non golfers.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC AceHole View Post
I am judging the mediocrity on the reviews of the highest rated courses in that area. I shouldn't be so quick to judge seeing that I haven't played in this area and im sure it is quite different than the Midwest. I am more interested in shot shaping courses with some good woods. That being said, I can appreciate the differences in courses across the US.

Buffalo ridge was on my radar but I was kinda turned off by a lot of the reviews. It seemed like fountain hills was the place to go but im not sure if that is just cause of the course being hyped only because the memorial is played there. That is why I wanted to get insight from some locals.
Gotcha, in that case.. I'd still say it's worth a check out. I'd also go play Vista (it's more interesting in the memorial layout, but..), and Fiesta Lakes.. those (You're already mentioned Fountain) would be my favorites in the Phoenix area (although, I end up playing Red Mountain more due to it's location to where I stay when down there). With that said, tomorrow we're heading down and playing Buffalo.. probably going to lunch at Four Peaks, and maybe go play Moeur after (it's close).

Unfortunately, in the valley of the sun.. there's no chance for tall trees to live 5 years ago I would have told you to take the hour drive south to Marana Rock, but the current course isn't worth the travel IMO.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
Gotcha, in that case.. I'd still say it's worth a check out. I'd also go play Vista (it's more interesting in the memorial layout, but..), and Fiesta Lakes.. those (You're already mentioned Fountain) would be my favorites in the Phoenix area (although, I end up playing Red Mountain more due to it's location to where I stay when down there). With that said, tomorrow we're heading down and playing Buffalo.. probably going to lunch at Four Peaks, and maybe go play Moeur after (it's close).

Unfortunately, in the valley of the sun.. there's no chance for tall trees to live 5 years ago I would have told you to take the hour drive south to Marana Rock, but the current course isn't worth the travel IMO.

Awesome. thanks for the info! one more thing I was reading was that discs tend to get beat up pretty bad in the desert. Does this hold true for champ and star types of plastic? do you recommend not throwing your "good discs" or is that statement exaggerated?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Birdie Member

It does chew up discs. I tend to throw champion @ buffalo. It's basically volcanic basalt rock that forms the surface.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 33

Yeah, Buffalo will chew up discs.

If you go to Fountain, go early. Busy multi-use park means you might not be able to play some holes during peak hours. Also bring a few water discs.

Vista can be fun if it's in the Memorial layout. Plus you can visit Spinners and end the round on Duke's patio with a beer. Both right next to the course.