Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Bogey Member

Best sport ever! Mako3, need help choosing one.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the sport and forum and have been playing close to two months. I'm in need of a straight "go to" midrange for throws between 100-200 ft. I'm seriously considering a mako3 but need help figuring out plastic type and weight. I like the feel of the star mako3 but i dont want something that will flop easy. 180 felt heavy in my hand in the store, so im going to check out a 176. 174'felt good. I'm 6 ft, about 215 and throw a forehand probably (thought I was throwing 400 but seems like the baskets used to gauge this are 300) 300 ft. Anything under 250 I use backhand. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Bogey Member

Best sport ever! Mako3, need help choosing type and weight.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the sport and forum and have been playing close to two months. I'm in need of a straight "go to" midrange for throws between 100-200 ft. I'm seriously considering a mako3 but need help figuring out plastic type and weight. I like the feel of the star mako3 but i dont want something that will flop easy. 180 felt heavy in my hand in the store, so im going to check out a 176. 174'felt good. I'm 6 ft, about 215 and throw a forehand probably (thought I was throwing 400 but seems like the baskets used to gauge this are 300) 300 ft. Anything under 250 I use backhand. Thanks for any help!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
To be honest, you should probably use a putter for anything under 150, and especially at 100 feet. If you like the feel of the Mako3, then go for it, but try and throw it clean, so it won't "flop." A disc like the Mako, or any straight stable midrange, should not turn at all for you at 200 feet. It should be nice and straight. Good luck with your field practice, and fine tuning your form.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 130
One thing to keep in mind is that your plastic is probably going to change as your game changes. I have a bunch of 166-168g Rocs because that is what worked for me when I started throwing Rocs. I have a bunch of 172-174g Rocs because that is what worked for me when I felt like I needed a little more beef from my Rocs. Now I throw 177-180g Rocs. The target will move as your game changes. I think it's easier to move from lighter to heavier, so I'd start with lighter.

I really like Champ Mako3's and really hate GStar Mako3's. The GStar one I tried flipped easier and basically drove me nuts. The Champs I have are $. This may be hangover from the Mako; Star Makos are teh suXXsors (too domey) so I pretty much expected to hate the Star Mako3. It might be self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Mako3 has a lot more distance potential than 100'-200'; at the speed you have to throw it to get it to stay at 100' you might get a lot of dump at the end if the shot is in the air. You have to kinda throw it into the ground at 100' to mitigate that, and you can still get a skip depending on the course conditions. A putter is designed to handle that type of throw without dumping hard at the end, so as you develop more as a player you might want to look into that.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.2
If if read correctly you've been playing for just a couple of months.

And you are already concerned about disc selection?

Go with any understable midrange you get your hands on. It doesn't matter. In a few years it will.

And focus on playing not the what brand disc you have!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Bogey Member

I appreciate the advice. A few more details:
For me, driving on long tee shots are very difficult. Putting outside of ten ft is also. Of course all green shots other than straight ahead ones are difficult. But the straight green shots seem to be the easiest part of the game (I just put the disc close to my chest, turn and kick a leg up if the shot isn't very short. It seems to go where I want it to most of the time), so.thats why I want to find a straight flying midrange disc. What I have now is a speed 8 and on shorter shots it seems to curve left. So maybe I'll go with a 174 or 176 (?) mako3 instead of a lighter one in case after buying it i decide to use it for over 200 ft shots.

Other than that, I'm thinking about experimenting with an ape for forehand drives, to have some fun while my backhand developed. The closest disc I have now to flopping a minimum amount on forehand drives is a champion groove that I found. I plan to start forehanding with putters and understable discs for practice but id like to have an overstable disc to their some RHFH too. Any opinions on the Innova Ape for me or another FH disc? I gave a boss in champion and gstar, gstarv 12 speed krait and the champion groove. The groove seems too heavy and (not sure if non-blizzard apes come in lighter than the groove I have) and the others dont compensate enough for my technique errors (I'm not the most patient cuz driving is my favorite part of the game).
Old 06-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Bogey Member

New to sport. Questions about Mako3 and Ape.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Bogey Member

Halcon, I suck bad with my putter on shots over ten ft. Maybe its partly because of the putter i have cuz i noticed i can throw the speed 8 disc i have with more accuracy under 100 ft.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Bogey Member

3putt, maybe I need to I vest in a different putter or learn how to throw one from further out.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Bogey Member

In short, my questions are:

What putter should i get for both short putts and 100 ft or so? What I have now is a 10 meter crossfire. It's flight ratings are 1111. It's appears to be either a 186 or 180, probably a 186.

Which weight and plastic type should I get the mako3 in. One suggestion I got was champion.

For RHFH, would the ape be mist likely to give me the most accurate and furthest drives during this learning phase? If so, what weight should I try? I'm guessing champion would be the type to go with. A guy at play it again sports suggested a katana or nuke.