Disc Golf Store
Old 09-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
11x vs. 12x

I hear from different people that the 11x teebird is a lot different from the 12x teebird. I was wondering if others finds this true with this disc and/or any other discs(ie eagle). Different feel, molds, flat vs. domed, etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 12
12X is less domed , dont ask me how that effects it though.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 1
Most 11x are more overstable. The way you pick the overstable ones is by finding the clear, domey, stiff ones. The softer opaque ones are generally less overstable.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 55
I thought less domey was more overstable...that being said I love my 11x teebird...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 81
bump for what honestly is the difference? and how does it justify the high premium for an 11x compared to stock 12x?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 85
the 11x is more os/less domey than the 12x. legacy rival or lat 64 saint pro fly quite similar to the 11x if you don't feel like paying the premium for 11x. i have a 170 11x champ teebird and it has a permanent spot in my bag.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 20
There are two main types of 11x birds, CAL and CA tooled. In my experience, the earlier CAL tooled discs were characteristically flat-topped, high shouldered, and high PLH. These will season into a super-sweet straight disc, but that takes years. The plastic varies a lot throughout the ones I have seen, from very grippy and gummy to very stiff. The CA tooled discs vary a lot, some are similar to CALs, with a slightly higher dome. These are my favorites. They start out pretty stable but season into straight within a shorter time and then stay there forever. The last of the 11x I bought were opaque and stiff. These discs had either a low PLH and a weird dome that was sweet unless it was windy, or a high plh and dome and not very good feeling. These discs seemed to transition over to early 12x as well. I have two 11x and two 12x that look and fly identical.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
bump for what honestly is the difference? and how does it justify the high premium for an 11x compared to stock 12x?
because production runs are 12x, and 11 is one less then 12, and you can't get 11s without going to the collectors aftermarket. I wish Ken was still young enough to be able to win a 13th in open, cuz all the stacks of 12x everything I have laying around would automatically become valuable. It'd be awesome for me.

I've been around long enough to remember when the 11x's were the production runs people hated and everyone was hoarding 10x and earlier. Ken won a 12th and all of a sudden 11's were the bees knees.

BTW, I'm like 50% kidding with this post. There are some differences. If I had been smart I would have built up a big stack of 11x's back in the day cuz they really were great. Great enough to pay outrageous collectors prices just to be able to throw them again? Absolutely not.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
I paid about $60 from a local collector for an 11x KC pro teebird. I was just too curious about them since I bag teebirds (i have a brinsters, an echo star, g stars, and 3 champs).

I figured $60 for a brand new 11x KC pro was a bargain , but after a couple of field sessions with it, I decided to sell it, because it wasn't that much different from my 12x (luckily my 12x were flat but only by luck because I ordered them online).

The last thing I want to do is get hooked on 11x teebirds, I'd rather work with stuff thats readily available and can be purchased retail.

that being said I have tried some awesome 11x Firebirds (the flat gummy kind) that are a lot better (in terms of grip and controllability) compared to the current 12x, but its the same thing I don't want to be stuck looking for expensive 11x stuff especially when it comes to firebirds which usually (for me) involve shots going around trees and slamming into stuff. Might as well use 12x firebirds for that.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
The last thing I want to do is get hooked on 11x teebirds, I'd rather work with stuff thats readily available and can be purchased retail.
For sure. The problem is that if you play long enough EVENTUALLY you'll get hooked on a mold that changes or goes OOP, and then you're screwed.