Old 03-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHFH
Crave vs Amp

I recently (today) lost one of my beloved seasoned Amps. Hole #16 at Bradford park in Huntersville if you happen to see it...

I've already started looking for a replacement Amp, and came across the Crave. I searched and searched but couldn't really find anything comparing the two discs.

I see the Crave has a slower speed rating, but I want to know what real feedback there is about the disc directly compared to the Amp.

Similar stability? I love the high speed turn and little fade of my Amp. Powered down I can send my Amp on a rope. Juice it up, and I can get pretty lines and distance from the Amp. I throw my Volt when I need more stability or more fade, so I'm looking for something stable to understable like the Amp

So...Long story short, how does the Crave compare to the Amp?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2015, 09:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
There is nothing that will give you the sweetness of a seasoned Amp. BUT, an Insanity would be a good replacement. It can also be that frozen rope for you, or powered up for long turnovers (I assume you have a decent arm if you're throwing Terns and Destroyers)

The Crave gets a lot of love here, but I would not compare it to the Amp, especially a seasoned one. It is more stable, both in initial turn, and fade.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Bogey Member

Good info. I didn't look much into the Insanity. Is the Insanity considerably longer than the Amp? How does it compare to the Inertia?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 1
The simplest way to look at it is that an Insanity is a seasoned Inertia. Many throwers are liking the feel of the Insanity since it's a little fuller in the hand. I loved it from the first throw, and I happened to lose my favorite Inertia, so it will replace it. It is a little longer than the Amp, but powered down a bit, it will still fly very straight for you.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
I don't agree that the Insanity is a broken in Inertia. For me it's a bigger/longer Inspire. The Inspire may be able to fill in for an Amp, but nothing is gonna fly quite like an Amp.

I love the Insanity, but if you need something not as big, definitely check out the Inspire
Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 42
An inspire at about 169 would be a very suitable amp replacement in my opinion. For Amp-like lines but more distance I'd go with the insanity. They definitely could both fill spots in your bag.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 24
Crave is much more HSS to my understanding than an Amp. I haven't thrown an Amp, but I trust my Craves on any line I put them on not to turn over too much and they usually have a small fade out of Anny lines. I would not trust an Inspire for those shots at all, they would turn into rollers or burners if you really got over on them. I would love to beat in a crave to replace my F7, but I'm not sure it will ever really lose enough HSS to get there.

You can just throw mild hyzers and they go straight for days and then fade about 10-15 feet to the left.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 77
Crave is definitely more stable than the Amp. Similar LSS, but the Crave has much more HSS. The fact that the Amp is faster makes it a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but that's it basically.

The Inspire is the speed 7 understable driver that you want to consider. Been a while since I've thrown an Amp so I can't compare them that well, but the Inspire has a very controllable turn and is an easy hyzer flip to straight disc if you're putting them out around 350'.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 AM
Bogey Member

The more I read, the more I think I want another Amp. The Crave sounds nice, but seems like a more stable, less glide Amp.

Then I could always fill the Amp hole with another River...I felt they flew in the same ball park, but the river had more glide

Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 77
The Crave is an awesome disc, but not the stability you're looking for.

I tested the Amp and River against each other once myself. Fairly similar stability wise, but the Amp is faster and takes power better. Has that eerily controllable MVP turn. Whereas the River is a more finicky animal: capable of great D due to the sick glide, but it's much more of a finesse disc. It was an either/or proposition with me, and just a question of which suits your game better.