Disc Golf Center
Old 12-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
GStar Plastic Life Expectancy?

I'm really enjoying the GStar plastic. How long do you think they typically hold up before they become too beat in? Seems like my drivers after 6 months are fairly flippy. I don't mind buying new plastic every 6 months, just curious if that's the norm. Thx.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Birdie Member

Not sure but shouldn't be much different than any other plastic. I've been throwing the same G* Firebird about 4 rounds a week since it came out and haven't noticed much of a change. It is softer so I have a few scrapes that champ discs wouldn't of gotten but stability is about the same as new. The plastic has impressed me.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 29
I cam up with a simple formula for gauging the life expectancy of any disc.

Rating of player (r) divided by number of trees on a course times weekly play rate (t)(wr) times numbe of water holes on said course (wh).

so for a 1000 rated player who plays 3 times a week, with 87 trees on a course and one big pond covering 2 holes.

1000/[(87)(3)](2)=1.92

So, for this player just under 2 years for a disc thrown with regularity.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 81
What do you call your formula?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
What do you call your formula?
arbitrary
Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendragon View Post
arbitrary
*rimshot*
Old 12-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'm really enjoying the GStar plastic. How long do you think they typically hold up before they become too beat in? Seems like my drivers after 6 months are fairly flippy. I don't mind buying new plastic every 6 months, just curious if that's the norm. Thx.
Been throwing the Leo and TB since they came out and I would guess that it holds initial stability about 85-90% as well as regular star.

Good enough for government work.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendragon View Post
arbitrary

I was worried about the same thing because half my bag is gstar nowadays. I'll say this though. As an intermediate player a brand new champion/star disc usually averages about 6-8 months of workhorse duty (main driver 6 days a week play..sometimes 2 rounds on a weekend) before I cycle in a new beefier one. Less if you average in lost discs. I've had some of my gstar discs 5 months now and haven't had to cycle in a new gstar yet. I've just had to replace lost ones.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Been playing with a Roc3 and Thunderbird pretty heavily (4 times a week) plus field work for the last few months and the G* plastic has held up pretty well as far as damage and scuffing is concerned.

The Thunderbird started out has a meat hook but is fading more forward now and I think I'm really going to like it, looks like it's going to bump my Starfire out of the bag.

The Roc3 however has not held it's stability and I was initially disappointed with it until I realize it has now replaced my Mako3. I get a better grip with a Roc rim than I do the Mako, so it turned out to be a good thing.

For what it's worth, I bought a DX Roc the same time as the G* and I have thrown them each just as much and the DX is still holing it's stability! So if you're looking to replace a nicely sesoned KC or DX that you may have lost, buy a G* and play it hard for a month or two and you will have it back with the G*.

I also have a G* Aviar Driver and a Mako3, both are nice but I haven't thrown them as much as the others, so I'm not sure how they will break in.

That's been my experience so far anyway.

Last edited by grotto; 12-10-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM

I have had a thunderbird in my bag for a couple months and its holding up great. Judging by that I'm hoping to get years of use. The champ starfire it replaced was amost 5. For me, the only downside for g* would be rolling duty. But a thunderbird that flies like a seasoned valk, yes please