Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
Mfg's need to have better quality control to improve consistency and less varations. Recycle those discs that don't meet the specs. They could use thin laser lines to check things like PLH, domeyness, et al pretty quickly. Or at least print some specs on label like this is 80% PLH (where 50% is the middle/desired one), some number on domeyness, etc... Will result in more happy customers. That will happen as disc golf keeps growing by leaps and bounds.
I'd love to see something like this. The only problem would be adding another level of complexity to an already complex rating scale. And more work for he manufacturer...

That said, if they checked the PLH when they weighed the disc you could add something next to the weight with little effort.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 28
Unfortunately that type of work would raise the prices on discs

I'm sure if it was affordable it would be done. Remember MVP has come a long way in a short time. I can say that new MVP releases rival that of the big 2 now. There is a high demand for their product. As they grow it will keep improving
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 24
Seems like three key factors that contributes the variations in stability of a given mold in order: PLH, domeyness and weight.

If there is going to be quite variation in PLH (the nature of disc mfg?) that is pretty noticeable by most then it would make sense to label the PLH values. Yeah bit more work, but like pspunch said above, they can check PLH and weight at the same time and label both on a disc. Same with domeyness but I think MVP is pretty consistent with domeyness (I have 11 Volts and they all look the same in terms of domeyness, but I have not measured more accurately like with thin laser which might show some obvious variations.)

I think MVP is learning their mfg process with new machines and first time molding the drivers so I think they will tighten up the tolerances anytime soon.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

As someone who has weighed thousands of discs at work, it's a time consuming process. Adding and explaining PLH, which until recently wasn't even a "thing", would be a nightmare for a manufacturer. I've yet to see an order at DN where a customer asks for a certain PLH
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 24
I see quite lot of discussions about PLH here I will go to local store and check the PLH myself with my current discs to compare with.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
I think ZAM hit the Amp spot on when he asked me if it was a longer MJLS. Its got a bit less stabilty but just enough to be useful as a straight fairway driver

Im leaning towards putting this thing at 9/5/-2.5/1

Its really right inbetween -2,-3 turn for me. I think that this accounts for the variation in stability as well. I examined the box ZAM got from MVP and saw no variation from mine in PLH and dome. Only one was warped but when pushed flat had the same profile
It does remind me of a longer seasoned MJLS as well. It is a faster disc, but the action isn't faster. This is why the Amp is special/different...It's a fairly fast disc, but it turns like a slower disc.

So in all your shipment you did not see a difference in PLH like my two I posted? That's bizarre that in my tiny sample I got what may be a freak disc. It sounds like Mike C. got one that doesn't turn. If that red one is a freak disc then I'm in concurrence with your ratings.

Perhaps our tester discs were some of the first run...It would make sense as they want to get them out to us ASAP once they start the production run. This could explain why they would show more variance than what I'm sure was a very large shipment at DN.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

It was just 6-7 amps for testing and ZAMing
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 66
So there's ~15 of these things out there and they range from "one of the flippiest discs I've ever thrown" to "hardly turns on a big rip into a mild headwind"

Very strange indeed. You'd think they'd be able to achieve some measure of consistency with the first few they put out there. Even if they are able to settle in on a disc with numbers around 9/5/-3/1, that's sort of a specialty disc, and many players already have beat up versions of their favorite fairway/distance drivers that function in this role. Seems like even the Volt will beat in to be very similar to the Amp. I don't get why they didn't do an overstable driver.

Oh well, I still hope they are able to continue to improve the standards in disc manufacturing so good luck guys! Here's hoping the process get's a little more refined over the coming months.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Well that's 2 discs that are just barely off the intended range

That's a very small sample size.

It's really easy to focus on the negative or unexpected in a thread. Having a conversation about PLH doesn't really do much to showcase the amp.

I can't say it any simpler. It's different from the Volt. If you can't tell the difference then it's not the disc or PLH. The disc booms and holds a line really well. Only a few "mythical" discs like river or jls can do it "better"

Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Well that's 2 discs that are just barely off the intended range

That's a very small sample size.
It is a small sample, but it's also represents almost 100% of the Amps that have been reported out in the world. You'd expect them to totally nail it on such a small batch, not have two examples of opposite extremes.

Quote:
I can't say it any simpler. It's different from the Volt. If you can't tell the difference then it's not the disc or PLH. The disc booms and holds a line really well. Only a few "mythical" discs like river or jls can do it "better"
I can't tell the difference because they're not released yet! Perhaps the larger topic of MVP's manufacturing process should go on in the general MVP thread, but it's interesting and seems relevant here.