Disc Golf Store
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Brian at Inbounds uses decimals, so for him I rated it 9/5/-2.5/1.25. If I wasn't allowed decimals I'd go 9/5/-3/1 just to make sure people understand that this is an understable mold.
Sweet! Definitely sounds like an awesome complement to the Volt for my noodle
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 24
I think I would like bit more stable version of red tester Amp. Thanks testers for objective reviews. Looking fwd!

About PLH, instead of labeling the PLH values along with weight (more headache for online vendors), MVP could sell three "different" Amp like Amp-H, Amp-M, Amp-L where H is high PLH, M is medium PLH and L is low PLH assuming the market demands subtle/consistent variations of a given mold. Just saying...
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
I think I would like bit more stable version of red tester Amp. Thanks testers for objective reviews. Looking fwd!

About PLH, instead of labeling the PLH values along with weight (more headache for online vendors), MVP could sell three "different" Amp like Amp-H, Amp-M, Amp-L where H is high PLH, M is medium PLH and L is low PLH assuming the market demands subtle/consistent variations of a given mold. Just saying...
I think they'll have to adopt something soon, especially getting into the driver market. It's all well and good when you only have 2 putters and 2 mids that you can just say "this is our overstable mid" and "this is our understable mid." The more drivers they start making, the harder it will be to clarify each disc's nuances with their minimal descriptions for uninitiated players wanting to try MVP.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
DGCR Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Brian at Inbounds uses decimals, so for him I rated it 9/5/-2.5/1.25. If I wasn't allowed decimals I'd go 9/5/-3/1 just to make sure people understand that this is an understable mold.
For clarification, MVP is unique in the way that we capture their "Manufacturer Suggested Flight Ratings". Brad & Chad put a lot of faith in the evaluations of their testers. So when we apply our flight rating algorithm to the manufacturer flight values, we're using an aggregate of all the tester flight values. In our opinion, the way that MVP develops their manufacturer flight rating is one of the most spot on.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
I think they'll have to adopt something soon, especially getting into the driver market. It's all well and good when you only have 2 putters and 2 mids that you can just say "this is our overstable mid" and "this is our understable mid." The more drivers they start making, the harder it will be to clarify each disc's nuances with their minimal descriptions for uninitiated players wanting to try MVP.
That's why we're gonna kill the history of flight charts with a flight chart from the future
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 28
Adding PLH markings is like having a first run stamp

It marks a difference where they want everything to be the same

I'm not sure some of you understand how difficult and costly it would be to identify the level of each discs PLH. Probably add atleast $1 to the cost of the disc. But some might pay for that indicator. But what happens when the PLH indicator is wrong? MVP is left hanging

Last edited by zj1002; 11-28-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
Adding PLH markings is like having a first run stamp

It marks a difference where they want everything to be the same

I'm not sure some of you understand how difficult and costly it would be to identify the level of each discs PLH. Probably add atleast $1 to the cost of the disc
I wasn't really advocating the PLH suggestion. Just saying we might see "something" eventually. PLH is, in my opinion, too obscure of a concept for the everyday casual DGer to use as a guide for their disc purchases.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

PLH is something that you wouldn't see for at least 5 years in a scalable way. Sure, dude in his living room will sell you on PLH all day. But if a manufacturer noted it, most retailers would struggle to add another variant to their system. The only way it'll happen in a mainstream way is when discs are received by robots with optical sensors and whole crapton of logic.

In 10 years I hope DN is selling on metrics like PLH, dome, flex, and opacity... and at least PLH and dome could be used with algorithms to give the average user a range of stabilities for purchase (and for advanced users, we could expose each disc's metrics). Of course PLH and dome effects would need to be stored as variables on a per-mold basis to calculate that stuff. It's a major endeavor, but in 10 years that's where I want us to be. The logic isn't tough, and we could calculate stability per mold based on PLH and dome now... like today, in a matter of hours. But the issue is the physical limitation of receiving discs with that data attached.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
You didn't touch on what a better job ZJ is doing of promoting and demystifying the mold
I thought you said that he had better samples and was lucky?

ZJ is OF COURSE a valuable non-partisan member of the testing team...BTW Zam, have YOU thrown the damn thing yet? You represent the demographic of those drooling for the Amp more than ZJ and the rest of us.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
Please read this in a curious tone, not a negative tone:

Why did they send the testers 2 discs that aren't the actual AMP? What are they trying to learn from these 2 discs? With the release in a week and a half it seems really strange. It sounds kind of improbable but hopefully they get some real AMPS to the testers before this launch so I can see what I'm actually buying.
I think something to keep in mind along these lines is that Vibram and MVP are the only two companies I can think of that are sending pre-release discs to testers who then report their findings here on DGCR. So while there may be some inconsistencies and you feel like you don't know what you are buying, you are actually learning more about these two companies' products than you would about new releases from Innova, Discraft, etc.