Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Tempted to beat the crap out of mine to see if I can make it lose some stability.
Has anyone tuned MVP?

If it works with the overmold, I'd make myself a nice JLS/QJ/TB set out of some Amps
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Just received my Amp. Haven't been able to throw it yet, but it actually feels way more comfortable in my small hands than the Volt does. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Has anyone tuned MVP?

If it works with the overmold, I'd make myself a nice JLS/QJ/TB set out of some Amps
Haven't tried yet, they're too pretty. I did it to my River, though, so the Amp is likely next.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Just scraped it on the concrete and threw some sidewalk rollers. Gonna take it out to the field in a few and report back.

Don't worry, Zam - stock stamp only.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Haven't tried yet, they're too pretty.
HOLY SNAP.
I.... I think they might be the best tuning discs ever.

For starters, I just folded an Amp in half with no issue. The overmold stretched along with the core, no separation or damage.

I'm guessing because of the density, the overmold wants to hold a tune more so than other plastics. It didn't pop right back to shape, but with very little effort I got it back to normal non-taco. The action is less like the repeated forceful tuning of most plastics, and more like a quick one-bend adjustment that you can then fine-tune.

Anyway, I've got one of my Amps here and I tuned one side RR under-easy and one side TB-tasty.

I think y'all will enjoy this.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 7
Did you go and test them right away or something? That's awesome!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomuted View Post
Did you go and test them right away or something? That's awesome!
Nah, I can just tell from what it's doing to PLH. I've done most tuning by sight. One of my testers was here on my desk... I tested some folding with it
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 178
I threw the AMP a few times on Saturday. The disc feels totally sweet in my hand. It's very flippy though. I haven't tried to roll it yet but I am very curious to see how it rolls. Too understable for air shots for me. I would have a hard time trusting it.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Just got my discnation 1st run amps in today. Both 170. I took one out to the field for a few throws and to get an intial reaction. First things first, I regularly throw RHBH 350-380 max and have been throwing my volts anywhere from 280-340 pretty consistently. There was no wind present, but I was also not warmed up and wearing a bulky jacket so my test throws were considerably lower power than normal.

At the 260-320 range I was throwing my 170g Amp it flew a cross between a stable Avenger SS and a beat up TeeBird. Was giving it some height because out of the hand it definitely flipped up, so if thrown flat and low it would turn into the ground. Thrown on a hyzer, like others have said, it flips up to straight and flat and tracks about 300' with little fade. It didn't seem to have as much right to left action as the volt, and definitely didnt resemble the hard right turning flight of a roadrunner (at that power level at least). Definitely something to be done with this disc and seems like a great compliment to the volt since it should be shaping completely different lines without being 5 steps apart on the stability scale.

Can't wait to get out and throw it more extensively.

Last edited by beeftrout; 12-10-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Edit: RHBH

Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM
* Ace Member *

If you tune the drivers, start with shallow bends. I wanted to stress-test it so (as ZJ observed) I kept my Amp bent in half, then flexed it a bunch trying to demonstrate how the overmold stretched instead of breaking or separating. The overmold was fine. Took a few minutes, same as any other similarly-abused premium disc, to get the whole disc back to normal table-level.

Shallow bends should do the trick for tuning the MVP drivers. No need to be gentle, it just doesn't take as deep of a bend as 1-piece discs.