Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukdukgolf View Post
I love the volt, cant wait to buy a couple Amps.

only downside ive found with the plastic is the black rim gets beat up pretty fast. Its almost like a dx plastic rim.
The plastic used to make the overmold on MVP discs, whether it's Eclipse, or the regular black overmold is MUCH stronger than DX. It get's scuffed, and marked up, and might look messed up, but it stays intact and will not affect its performance.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The plastic used to make the overmold on MVP discs, whether it's Eclipse, or the regular black overmold is MUCH stronger than DX. It get's scuffed, and marked up, and might look messed up, but it stays intact and will not affect its performance.
Agreed. I've thrown my Volt into a metal parking sign 50 feet off the tee, and there was barely a scratch.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
I think the proper term for what they need more is spin. I've heard from some of the gurus on DGCR that because the weight is more on the rim than the center (due to the Gyro tech), MVP discs MUST have a good spin on them to fly consistently. I imagine they work well as rollers for the same reason (weight on the rim) but I could be wrong because science.
Gyro Tech isn't a real thing. Its an overmold. All discs are gyroscopic. And if the only thing about "gyro tech" is that it makes their discs more difficult to throw, how is that anything but a strict downgrade? I think the real truth is that you wont see their extra benefit if you don't know how to throw a disc properly. Thrown improperly, they fly just like any other random disc thrown improperly.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
Gyro Tech isn't a real thing..
Haha, listen.. its a known fact MVP adds the weight agent to the plastic in the rim overmold only. This ensures most of the weight is at the VERY edge of the disc. If you have ever taken a physics class (maybe you didn't have one in high school? or maybe you haven't gone to college?) your teacher/professor has probably demonstrated a bicycle wheel or some sort of disc spinning fast generating a property called gyroscopic. Now if you understand this property, you should understand that if a disc has more weight in the edge, it will have more of a gyroscopic effect while it spins.

This means that MVP discs will hold lines longer than normal discs would. That is why MVP discs such as the axis are able to hold dead flat, straight lines much longer. The gyro tech enables the disc to fight the natural turn/fades that the disc wants to shape because the gyro tech is resisting.

Do other disc companies do this? NO.. They mix it in with the entire disc.

Not sure how else to explain it.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Haha, listen.. its a known fact MVP adds the weight agent to the plastic in the rim overmold only. This ensures most of the weight is at the VERY edge of the disc. If you have ever taken a physics class (maybe you didn't have one in high school? or maybe you haven't gone to college?) your teacher/professor has probably demonstrated a bicycle wheel or some sort of disc spinning fast generating a property called gyroscopic. Now if you understand this property, you should understand that if a disc has more weight in the edge, it will have more of a gyroscopic effect while it spins.

This means that MVP discs will hold lines longer than normal discs would. That is why MVP discs such as the axis are able to hold dead flat, straight lines much longer. The gyro tech enables the disc to fight the natural turn/fades that the disc wants to shape because the gyro tech is resisting.

So you've cut apart an axis and a comparable mid from another company and weighed the core/outer rim pieces to verify the axis is actually heavier in the rim than the competition? I mean if you're laughing at another poster for doubting your god disc surely you have proof right...
Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
So you've cut apart an axis and a comparable mid from another company and weighed the core/outer rim pieces to verify the axis is actually heavier in the rim than the competition? I mean if you're laughing at another poster for doubting your god disc surely you have proof right...
If you really want the details just go here:

http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/gyro

Or give MVP a call here:

Brad Richardson
Orders/AR/AP

Chad Richardson
Engineering/Design

I'm sure they would be happy to explain in great detail the difference between their discs and comparable discs.

Why would i cut apart my discs, are you out of your mind?
I will continue showing the superiority of gyro tech on the course, not by cutting apart my discs.. but thanks for the suggestion. I have all the proof i need.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
my amp turned today.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post

While I appreciate the completely unsolicited and condescending explanation of gyroscopics, my actual point was that MVP didn't invent them. All discs are gyroscopic. Nice job reading my post.

A super gyroscopic disc may fly differently than a less gyroscopic disc, but that doesn't make it innately superior. It just makes it different.

Last edited by Ryan C; 12-15-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
While I appreciate the completely unsolicited and condescending explanation of gyroscopics, my actual point was that MVP didn't invent them. All discs are gyroscopic. Nice job reading my post.
What MVP did was to increase the gyroscopic effect that their discs are subject to while in flight by putting a larger percentage of the total mass for the disc in the rim. He didn't say that MVP invented them, just that they made their designs place this extra mass in the rim.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutz167 View Post
What MVP did was to increase the gyroscopic effect that their discs are subject to while in flight by putting a larger percentage of the total mass for the disc in the rim. He didn't say that MVP invented them, just that they made their designs place this extra mass in the rim.
What plex did was go to some lengths to explain to me the concept of gyroscopics. He also certainly made it sound like MVP has some kind of monopoly on gyroscopics, due to their "gyro tech." All discs have extra mass on the rim, and yes, MVP has somewhat more mass on the rim than average. Everyone understands this idea. Everyone.

Last edited by Ryan C; 12-15-2012 at 04:42 AM.