Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 7
How I Break Down my Game

Hi all, here are some points when walking a hole and how I plan my attack.

First off I have to figure my percentage of putts I usually make. I work on my putt a lot. Here is an example.
15' and under I am right around 100%.
20'-25' around 95%
25'-30' around 85-90%
Why is this important, well the highest percent drive to the basket may leave me a 30' putt.

Lets say the hole is a 300' sharp anhyzer. I can try and force a stable disc over and have it float within 10' of the hole. Say about a 50% shot but a 100% putt.
Or
I can throw a slightly understable midrange that will float right and land 30' from the basket. A 95% shot with a 85-90% putt. I will take the second shot 90% of the time.

When I go to a new course for a tournament i always play the hole frontwards and backwards. Of course I don't throw my disc back to the t pad, but I look at the hole from both angles.

After you throw a hole stand by the basket. Walk 30' from the basket and look back at the tee pad. If you are confident from 30' with your putts, you may find a higher percentage drive you couldn't see from the tee pad. Sometimes the better position to set up your putt is 30' to the right, left, front, or back of the basket.
This method really works well if you have a tucked in basket. From the t pad it may look like you need to curve it in the gap to make birdie. Say your putt is best from 25'. Walk from the basket towards the gap 25'. You may find out that the higher percent shot is just a strait drive with little hyzer at the end. You may not even need to go in the gap. That also reduces the chance of missing the gap and going into the woods before or after the gap.

Let me know what you think, I can get into how i practice my putt and figure my percentages on drives and putts.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 417
Quote:
After you throw a hole stand by the basket. Walk 30' from the basket and look back at the tee pad. If you are confident from 30' with your putts, you may find a higher percentage drive you couldn't see from the tee pad. Sometimes the better position to set up your putt is 30' to the right, left, front, or back of the basket.
This is something I really need to work on.

But... Aces are fun too...
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think that sounds like very good course management. I think that is a great way to go about planning your strategy around the entire course. I use to do something like that when I played ball golf. I would want to know how far it was to a certain tree or sandtrap and play off of those yardages to set myself up for the approach into the green. I do the same thing when I play most of the time unless I already know the course.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHjr View Post
great point, i do this as well. even after some years of practice and experience, you will still see options and possibilities that just don't present themselves from the tee. if i have the time to play a slow practice round before a tournament, i will take notes to give myself landmarks and reference points for where i need to land/aim my shots. i've also watched youtube vids of tourney footage to gather info beforehand.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 41
Man I have to start doing this, my course management isn't the best