Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Run-up Dependency

Hello, my name is Keith and I'm an addict.

I've noticed that I seem to be rather dependent, maybe even addicted to run ups. Unless it's an extremely short shot, I use a run up. A longer run up for long drives and a shortened version for midranges and approaches. This however creates a problem when you can't afford a run up, whether it be crappy teepads or a throw from a hill. When I do throw from a standstill, the power is obviously lower, but my accuracy is also hindered.

So, my question is, how do you all throw efficiently from a standstill? Do you have your plant foot sideways or slightly turned out? Do you lift your plant foot during the throw? Do you reachback quickly or slowly? How far do you reachback? Any info or tips on good standstill throws would be much appreciated. Thanks! (Of course, maybe I just need to practice more).
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 94
Try throwing more forehands. You can get a lot of speed with just your arm and a good wrist snap. On backhanders, reach back as far as you can while still eying the target. Control and accuracy is the priority on those throws.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 37
In those situations, I developed a vertical hop (essentially the driving version of push putting) to get some extra power. It isn't as strong as a drive with a run up, but it helps to give that feel to the throw.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Forward momentum can aid accuracy and distance to a point as you have noted. Being efficient with a standstill means learning to use your body leverage and practice, which will also help a run-up be more efficient.

The plant foot is tricky to explain. I typically plant fairly perpendicular to the target line. If I need some oomph I will lift the heel in the backswing and plant it firmly to initiate the forward swing. You want the backswing to be smooth and rhythmic. How far back depends on how much distance. Also don't think of reaching back across the chest with the arm/disc, but rather using your hips/shoulders to move the arm/disc back.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
I go to a field and practice with all my discs. I have virtually the same upper body on my standstill throws as my run-up throws. Just the forward momentum allows for more distance. The thing I think is most important is to have an honest understanding of your skills. I can't throw my boss very accurately from a standstill, I just don't get the same power as a full run-up throw. Same with my firebird. But an eagle, or a whippet is controllable due to the lower speed required to still get a good toss.

Practice is key. Go to a big field, or play the whole course from a standstill. In no time, you'll be just as comfortable making those shots as the full run-up. BUT it will be a different shot. Don't expect the same toss.

Also, slow down your run-up and just put your body in the same position that you end your run up in. If it is too different of position then you may not be doing something correctly. I just figured out a problem i was having with my slow (1-2 step) run-up and my standstill. I was actually pulling my arm across my upper chest, whereas on my full run ups it was across my middle chest. Pulling across my upper chest makes me (ymmv) OAT my throws, really ticking me off. Since i figured this out, my practice throws have been WAY better.

Last edited by wake911; 11-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Practice the crap out of shortened and no run ups. Remember, you always want to accelerate through the hit, never decelerate. So, start slow and always accelerate.

Being crafty with run ups and lack thereof is a major key in becoming a better, more dynamic player. Complaining about teepads gets you nowhere.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: LHBH
I don't even use a run-up for most of my throws. The only time I use a run-up is if I need to throw farther then 300 ft.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 22
Unless I'm putting, I at least take a step. I start a step and a half back from my marker, facing the target. I step with my right foot, reaching back as far as I can while still looking at the target. Not a total standstill, but it's not really what I'd call a runup, either.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
In those situations, I developed a vertical hop (essentially the driving version of push putting) to get some extra power. It isn't as strong as a drive with a run up, but it helps to give that feel to the throw.
Could you elaborate on this "vertical hop"? I thought I heard about Dave Feldberg doing something similar. Thanks for all the advice guys. (And yes, I realize practice is always the best way. I guess I'm just a bit lazy.)

Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 42
Just stand there and let the magic happen.