Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Improvement on my drives

Ive played way too long to be this crappy at driving distance. I am also coming off a 9 month hiatus. I would probably only have one drive out of 15 with good distance for me. I would have about 2 good drives in an 18 hole round depending on my day. Luckily my short and putting game are good enough to compensate.

After joining this forum and reading about discing down, I decided to go ahead and do it. The last couple of rounds all of my drives but a few were done with my midrange star coyote. Those were mostly done due to heavy wind or the hole forced a certain drive that I couldnt do with my coyote. I have also started going to the local highschool football field and using that to measure my distance achieved on my drives. Since discing down, I have managed to consitently drive my midrange close to or over 200 feet now. The farthest I"ve thrown my mid was about 220 feet while on the football field.

I decided to try driving with my drivers(speed 9) at the football field. A very noticeable difference, as I was consistently driving much farther on an average of about 250 feet. I hit 265 feet on my furthest throw. I played a round and even outdrove my buddy on two holes today, and he can usually bomb it (elevated tees, with a nice tailwind). I know its not that far, but I am enjoying the consistency and distance. Now to practice more in heavier wind.

Too long didnt read(TLDR):
I suck at driving, I disced down with my midrange.
Can consistentently get around 200 feet off midrange while driving.
Can now throw on average of 250 with speed 9 discs.
I am excited.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 AM

Courses Played: 67
feeling akin

I too am catching some of the same feeling. As a dominant rhfh thrower I've been working hard through this summer on my backhand game. I've rarely thrown drives on any holes bh unless they were relatively short (under 200') or were heavy R-L doglegs (and short).

Recently I've found with my Hornet, champ beast & eagle, and star valk that 240-250 and sometimes straight are attainable. Still not my fh distance but far beyond what I had this past spring..
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Eagle Member

Yeah, up until a little while ago I was mostly a forehand thrower. When I switched to backhand I sucked at driving. Then shortly after switching to backhand, my forehand sucked. Luckily I got my forehand almost as good as when I always used it. Thanks for the encouragement.

By the way, how do you like the eagle hold up? What discs do they fly like? I like vikings, valkaries, and wraiths. It looks like the eaglen has a similar flight pattern to the wraith and viking, obviously not exact.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 38
Me three!

I'm excited for you! It's a really good feeling when you're improving your distance and consistency at the same time.

Ever since I decided to give my putter/midrange game more love a few months ago, my game has dramatically improved. First, I started getting accuracy - I figured out how to throw a Dart, Buzzz, and Leopard - and then the distance came afterwards. I now have a max driving distance of around 270' and can be deadly accurate with the three aforementioned discs.

Keep us posted on how you improve! I'm excited to see where you go from here.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
The good drives and putts are what I am currently living for. You know a drive is good as soon at it leaves your hand and the flight is majestic.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 41
Agreed. I have been playing for years and years and years and just never paid much attention to my drives. I threw RHFH for years just because it was easier, to the point where I was pushing out past 350 feet with warp speed drivers on my forehand. Still, I was relying on my mid-range to keep my scores down.

Awhile back I started really focusing on my BH drives. Just feeling the pull, wrist in a straight line, X-Step, everything. It finally "clicked" about two months ago, but I was still getting my fairway drivers much farther than my distance drivers. Once I figured out my hand placement (sort of a modified power grip) and really nailing the pull and follow through, things got much better.

Keep practicing and don't worry too much about huge D. Not all of us can throw those huge bombs!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 29
I'd rather be stuck at my current distance 375-400
and nail 90+% of putts out to 35 feet
than add another 50 to 75 feet to my drive and remain at my current putting

not sure what the current putting percentage out to 35 feet is but it sure as aitch e double hockey sticks isn't 90%

edit: I will still try and crack a constant 400 though
but my focus will be on putting...which is probably 95% of holding me back from tournament success rather than my driving
Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Eagle Member

I would sure love to hit 375-400 drives on RHBH drives, If I can reach that I'm good. Even better if I can get further. As of now I can barely get them over 250 consistently, and the consistentsy part only came in the last few days.

I'm like Andy, I used to throw mostly forehand, and my midrange and putting saves me. Properly warmed up on a not so windy day I can sink far putts. Before I took the summer off, I could consistently hit putts approximately 50 ft away, and even put a good amount in around 75 feet out in little to no wind. The problem is, up until recently my drives would not put me anywhere near birdie shots on a par 3 hole.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 65
Keep up the good work! keep throwing your mid ranges and try to work on your form. I didnt start throwing far until I changed my grip. I went from a 4-finger power grip to a 3-finger grip, it just feels right to me.

Remember that smooth = far

Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 AM
Eagle Member

Hmm, how does one hold a three finger powergrip? Which finger is not holding on?