Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 23
Fraser's Fade

I've been trying to simplify my bag from a multitude of different molds. This is what is bagged as of now.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 1 year, 7 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right-handed
Throwing Style: RHFH, learning RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Anode: 170/200'; Axis: 230/250'; Wraith: 310/330'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?:
None, does billiard's count? (maybe mentally)
Additional Information:
5'9" 165 lbs. Martial Artist that hasn't trained in a long time.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
I can cover most shots needed with my current setup but there are some holes.
Specific areas of desired feedback:
I need a long turnover disc that can handle a little bit of OAT. Being FH dominate, I want something a little more forgiving. Also, I can't seem to get any rollover on OH throws. They typically leave my hand vertical and come down without rotating on the horizontal plane. (Do I just need to add more angle on release? I've tried but they still leave my hand at the 12 o'clock position.)
Immediate and long-term goals:
Driving consistency is good. I am making progress with my distance control on upshots and putting is getting better. We all want more distance in driving but at this point, I'm pretty maxed out with the FH. I play fairly well with my distance in this category and hopefully, one day, I'll surpass my FH distance with my BH. I work on my BH on upshots and I am about 50/50, FH/BH for these shots. (Progressing nicely). Putting is good and getting better. I'm almost automatic up to 20' (unless my head gets in the way) and about 6/10 at 20'-35'. I'm working on putting more spin on my putts to get that average a little higher. I tend to not get enough distance to hold the line I putt on and it either fades too much or drops short.

Bag:
Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
168 Star Wraith (new but with a few tree hits) - main distance driver (flat, anny and hyzer)
175 Star Destroyer (used) - long-distance driver (flat with some turn with a healthy fade, flex-shots)
175 GL Striker (used) - same as Destroyer but shorter
175 Champ Valkyrie (used) - hyzer-flip, short turnover that's longer than my Axis
171 KC Champ Eagle (newish) - same as Wraith but shorter
171 N Volt (used) - pretty much any shot you can think of up to 330'
168 N Volt (new) - backup
177 N Volt (new) - same as above with light cross/headwind
174 Star Teebird (beat but still stable) - headwind fairway
148 Z Flick (new) - utility

Mids:
176 N Axis - Hyzer and hyzer-flip/Anny/turnover in tailwinds
174 N Vector - Hyzer/Anny/Straight in headwinds.

Putters:
175 N Anode - driving (open holes)
174 P Anode - driving (wooded holes)
170 SP Ion - putting
171 N Ion - headwind driving/putting
172 P Ion - backup

I know it might seem a little redundant to have Destroyer/Wraith/Striker/Eagle in there but, in Oklahoma, the wind plays a very big part of my game. In calm conditions, I drive more with the Volts than anything else. Some days I'm more consistent with one or two of the other drivers in moderate to heavy winds. I usually just choose the one I'm most comfortable with depending on how I'm feeling/throwing that day.

Like I mentioned, the hole I'm really looking to fill is the long-turnover that can handle some OAT and winds.

Thanks for your time in looking over this and helping a fellow member out.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
im willing to bet the volt will break in to be that turnover shot. the problem i found with using a turnover disc for turnovers, was wind, they just got beat up, from hyzer flip to flop. they just became rollers. i use something stable, a flow,for the understable max d spot because i can put it on an anhy, ride it out and know it will have a touch of fade
for your OH shots throw a thumber at the 1 to 2 o clock position, tommy at the 10-11. the lower you drop, 3,4, for thumbers, it will make quicker flips and cuts
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right with a beat-in volt being a good turnover disc. I can definitely get them to turn but just not enough yet. Your other thoughts about this topic actually gels with something that I had forgotten about. I lost my 168 Pro Wraith (newish at the time I lost it) that would hold a turn almost all the way to the ground with a flat to slight anny release. I might just have to pick another one up.

This past Sunday, I threw two rounds focusing on my BH. For never throwing backhands for distance during rounds, I was getting some pretty good distances (250-275', got one out to 320'). I think, for now, I'm going to work on the backhand for those RHFH turnover shots. I experimented with removing my little finger from the rim and have noticed it is a lot easier for me to keep the nose down. It makes me want to work on it more as I'm having some success with it.

On the OH shots, I'll keep what you said in mind as that is the most advice anyone has ever given me on the subject.

Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
alot of people find better success with a three finger grip, ive just always did four without trouble. im similar in the way i really only FH when i need that hard right fade.
best habit you should try to get into is planting with the heel of the front foot, will really help to allow your core into the hit to get everything you can spinning the disc
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks for the info. I naturally plant and pivot on my heel. Walking exercises in martial arts kind of drilled that into me. My next goal is to stop over-rotating on my follow through which tends to push the disc further right than the line I'm pulling on, as well as maintaining good balance (forward) at the hit. I think I just need to get more weight transferred to my toes as I'm pivoting. That should help with the over-rotation. I'll get everything working together eventually. My goal of being a 50/50 (BH/FH) player is getting more conceivable.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 80
Fraser, if you want more advice on form, I might be able to help. It took me about 3 years to be able to throw 400'+. next time we play let me know. Maybe we can do a micro clinic or practice session instead of playing a regular round. It's good for everyone to work on form.