Old 11-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Finessing Faster Discs

Is anyone else more comfortable shortening up on a longer disc than throwing the shortest disc they can? Sure I can throw a mid 275', but if that 275' hole is a tight tunnel in the woods, theres a good chance I'm going to be reaching for my beat DX Eagle instead. I'll sometimes even throw this disc on holes in the 230'-240' range, which is in reach of my putter. Is it just me, or can it sometimes be better to throw a longer disc with a shortened reach back and run up, with more focus on good clean snap and putting it on the right line? I've seen huge improvements in my driving consistency and accuracy since I started reaching for the longer disc with a shorter throw.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Learn all your discs at all power levels, at all nose angles, and at all hyzer angles. Throw the disc that has the best chance with least effort for you to hit your line and stop where you want the disc to stop. Discing down is a training exercise and not a tournament strategy.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 38
I do the same. Sometimes I'll even pull out a destroyer and throw it at 70% power for shots I could reach easily with a fairway or mid. It's all about knowing your discs' flights and choosing the best disc for the shape of the line at hand. If you are confident with it...throw it!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM

Courses Played: 6
Yeah I think a lot of people miss this entire concept. A wraith is a perfect example of this (at least for me) I can sidearm a wraith within 100ft and be more accurate than any midrange in my bag. It also works backhand too but normally ends with too much skip. This is not the route I normally travel but I always know in the back of my mind that if no other disc can do it I can always make a wraith do it.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 13
Throw whatever discs will get you the lowest score on the course.

It's nice to push your mids out further... but a fairway may just be easier to hit that tunnel shot with even if it's in range of your mids. As stated above, discing down is a good training tool but in a competitive setting, throw whatever you're comfortable with and is going to give you the best chance of winning.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
I'm all for discing up in certain situations to make a shot more simple, but I also do my best to throw the slowest disc I can and be able to reach the basket or landing spot comfortably. For example, I can throw a Buzzz straight at a 300' wide open hole or I can throw a big spike hyzer with my Predator . However, in the woods, I would never disc up. An eagle would kick a lot further than a midrange disc if you hit a tree, and that's something that I would prefer to not have happen.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 34
I am currently just throwing 4 discs for every shot, Surge, Gazelle, Wasp, and Wizard. I figured if I can score the same as I would without using a vast # of discs, what's the point? I use my surges for alot of shots anywhere between 425'-200' If I don't feel comfortable hitting the shot with a surge, I'll use the Gazelle, or Wasp. anything under 200' It's the wizard.

So I do use this strategy, it's always fun.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 PM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
Throw whatever discs will get you the lowest score on the course.

It's nice to push your mids out further... but a fairway may just be easier to hit that tunnel shot with even if it's in range of your mids. As stated above, discing down is a good training tool but in a competitive setting, throw whatever you're comfortable with and is going to give you the best chance of winning.
I like this way of putting it a lot. Sometimes the faster disc is just easier to get the job done with.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAPE12 View Post
However, in the woods, I would never disc up. An eagle would kick a lot further than a midrange disc if you hit a tree, and that's something that I would prefer to not have happen.
^^^This.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
For me, it really depends on what the hole is. If I feel the flight path of my fairway driver fits the need better then the flight path of my mid, I'll grab that fairway driver every time. I also like to power down on max distance drivers to get the flight path I could achieve with a fairway driver. It just depends on what I feel comfortable throwing that day.