Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Lighter Than Air

In one of my few, but cherished field work sessions, I came to an amazing discovery:

Throwing a disc well feels like you are throwing nothing at all.

The only problem is that I've only felt that once. Ever.

Try as I might, I cannot find that smooth delivery again. It came recently as I was giving the MVP discs a workout. I took my Neutron Axis, walked backwards, reached back, and threw it, and the instant the disc left my hand I knew it was my greatest throw ever. I watched in amazement as it took off, and it landed a mile from where I was standing.

The "mile" was actually 95 paces. And it was EFFORTLESS. I threw an Axis almost 300 feet, when I struggle to get my fastest drivers to 260. I've reached nearly 300 feet with a beat TM2 Vision, on a hyzer-flip, but that's after busting a kidney strong-arming. The Axis throw felt completely different.

I know what must be done. And chasing that feeling is what drives me to improve, and gain precious distance off the tee.

I love this game. Seeing game changing advances, and discovering new techniques and trying to duplicate them makes it all the more enjoyable, and challenging.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
And it was EFFORTLESS.
Yeah that's a sweet feeling.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
Very nice. I hope to do the same too. I now starting to focus on smooth and effortless delivery at say 80% power (around 270 or so) with Volt and hopefully my distance will improve with same effort over time soon.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
In one of my few, but cherished field work sessions, I came to an amazing discovery:

Throwing a disc well feels like you are throwing nothing at all.
And! if you found that feeling once, then you can find it a second time! It's nice when you finally feel at least a piece of the form that you're looking for...
Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 AM

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 7
A method I always tell people to use is the disc down method. When you practice find a distance you have trouble hitting with your mids. Say you can hit 225' but not 250'. Practice at 250' with your roc or buzz, practice 300' with your fairway drivers, and 350' with your drivers. When you hit your mark with these discs, bump each distance up 25'.
When you use the disc chart for these distances, use the understable discs first. As you start hitting these distances you will be able to start using more stable discs and get more distance out of them. I suggest to all the people I play with not to bother throwing any super fast drivers till you can throw a t bird 325'. If you can't throw your high speed driver further than you can throw your fairway drivers, you are not ready for them yet. A speed 14 disc will not do what it says it will do unless you can throw it at the speed of 14.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 8
That happened to me once in a field session. I threw a nice simple line drive, if it got over 12' high, I'd be amazed. I didn't really throw it that hard or anything, but my TL hit 375. Wish I knew what I did differently there.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 14
This happens to me every now and again. I will grab a Buzzz and really slow down and work on mechanics and BOOM! I am throwing like I know what I am doing. The key (for me) is to practice slowly, treat every toss like it is a tournament , and focus on not trying to throw a disc fast enough to make the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs. After all of this comes easier, then add speed.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 24
Yeah, I always know it will be a really good throw distance-wise when I get that feeling. I need to work on getting that feeling more times on my drive.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
This happens to me every now and again. I will grab a Buzzz and really slow down and work on mechanics and BOOM! I am throwing like I know what I am doing. The key (for me) is to practice slowly, treat every toss like it is a tournament , and focus on not trying to throw a disc fast enough to make the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs. After all of this comes easier, then add speed.
This makes a lot of sense, at this point, I can feel the difference in the really bad throws, and slowing down really helps me get back on the right track...

Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 9
chasing the dragon, it never fells as good as the first time.