Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Doesn't this all fall under maritime salvage law?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 15
i have really good disc finding eyes. and that is the worst.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swede View Post
The way I see it is if I won't swim to get it then its lost. I always call to try and return discs but if its in a pond and I don't have the guts to swim for it it's my loss finders keepers. I watched a buddy throw one into the middle of a big pond whoever finds that one is the man. Now bash if u want to lol.
If there's some sort of ink on a disc, I always try to get it back to the owner, no matter where I find it. That being said I'm pretty much on board with the above train of thought. It's one thing if you come across a disc in the process of playing your round, whether looking for your or a card mate's shot - I believe you should make a reasonable attempt to get the disc back to the owner if there's number or other ID on it.

However, going into water is different. The person who threw it in the water made a conscious decision to abandon their disc: whether that's because it was too deep, too nasty, too dangerous, too scary, too wet... pissed though they were when it happened, they just didn't think it was worth the hassle of going after it. The diver is making a conscious effort to salvage discs, and is assuming the risk/hassle that the previous owners were not willing to assume. A call back would be nice, but I have no mean words for a disc diver that keeps/sells stuff I wasn't willing to go after. If the wet disc was thrown in water by someone who foound it on land and didn't call, then the crime was committed by the first finder, not the diver.

I have unkind words for those who don't call phone #'s on disc found on land. This applies to tourneys, casual rounds, whatever... it's all disc golf to me.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 11-27-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Wow. Now some of you guys are making distinctions between wet lost discs and dry lost discs. There must be some cool law degrees being found in boxes of Captain Crunch. I may have to go buy me a box.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
If there's some sort of ink on a disc, I always try to get it back to the owner, no matter where I find it. That being said I'm pretty much on board with the above train of thought. It's one thing if you come across a disc in the process of playing your round, whether looking for your or a card mate's shot - I believe you should make a reasonable attempt to get the disc back to the owner if there's number or other ID on it.

However, going into water is different. The person who threw it in the water made a conscious decision to abandon their disc: whether that's because it was too deep, too nasty, too dangerous, too scary, too wet... pissed though they were when it happened, they just didn't think it was worth the hassle of going after it. The diver is making a conscious effort to salvage discs, and is assuming the risk/hassle that the previous owners were not willing to assume. A call back would be nice, but I have no mean words for a disc diver that keeps/sells stuff I wasn't willing to go after. If the wet disc was thrown in water by someone who foound it on land and didn't call, then the crime was committed by the first finder, not the diver.

I have unkind words for those who don't call phone #'s on disc found on land. This applies to tourneys, casual rounds, whatever... it's all disc golf to me.
How is it different though when you think about it? According to the logic you're using, they technically abandoned their disc on land when they stopped looking for it.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 34
Only way I can see getting angry over someone not returning a disc, is if you lose it during tournament play (other than putting it into water you know you won't get into). In a tournament you don't get unlimited amounts of time to get the disc back, so if someone snatches it that is playing behind you, I can see the issue there.

Outside of tournament play, if you lose the disc, and abandon looking for it, you gave up your right to complain about the disc in question. Yes, the right thing to do is return the disc if possible, but it is not an obligation. I've lost atleast 12 discs (not all by my own doing) in my short time of play. I never expect to see them again, I gave up looking and I will/have replaced the disc. Sure some may have sentimental value, but if they had that much sentimental value, maybe you shouldn't run the risk of losing said disc.

I have returned discs, and I will do so again. If I lose a disc, I replace it myself, if they want to return it to me, I'll trade them a disc for it. But to say, it's mandatory to return discs, is silly in itself. Not everyone has the same mindset, and we have all lost discs, if you see someone using the disc, mention it was yours that you lost(if you tagged it), if they are willing to return it, good for them, if not, then that's when you question the type of person they are. Don't question them when they don't call or text you to return it, maybe they are a really busy person?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino View Post
i have really good disc finding eyes. and that is the worst.
I've never heard of anyone complaining about that. I mean really think about how you sound. "I never lose a disc I'm just tooo good at finding them, it sucks."
Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 40
[QUOTE=Erthbndr;1705525] Outside of tournament play, if you lose the disc, and abandon looking for it, you gave up your right to complain about the disc in question. Yes, the right thing to do is return the disc if possible, but it is not an obligation. I've lost atleast 12 discs (not all by my own doing) in my short time of play. I never expect to see them again, I gave up looking and I will/have replaced the disc. Sure some may have sentimental value, but if they had that much sentimental value, maybe you shouldn't run the risk of losing said disc. [QUOTE]

This is stated perfect. I also agree though that it is always nice to be called or texted when you lose a disc and I will always do the same but for all these people who have their panties in a bunch over people who find discs and don't return them well it is your fault in the first place you lost the disc. It sucks but who said life was fair?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Does this "abandoned property" law people are citing apply specifically to discs, or all types of personal property?

If I find something that's not mine---especially if I expended effort to find it---can I immediately declare it abandoned and claim it? Even if I don't know the circumstances that resulted in its being where I found it?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
wow, a sad face of the sport that this attitude of inconsiderate behavior is so popular. Blows my mind how people over the age of 4 can think "finders keepers" is an acceptable way to live life. Despite all this, if i find your disc, i will still call you and try to get it back to you, despite it appearing that the majority of you won't do the same for me or anyone else. I won't be one of the a-holes who steals.