Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Knee pain

Quick question. This past week I have experienced knee pain in my right knee while playing disc golf. Two things come to mind as possibilities as to why...and I wanted to run them by you guys.

1. I just switched shoes about a month ago. The shoes have a lot of tread left and grip the pad/ground quite well. The insoles though leave a lot of be desired and don't provide a lot of padding.

2. I have been attempting to focus on late acceleration and follow through in my throws. When stationary, I have no problems with my right foot pivoting on the ball as I whip around ... but I think during a full-run (slide hop step) I am not landing my plant foot (right foot) on the ball and I'm torquing my knee as I follow through the whip.

I think it's a combination of the above two factors but I'd love some feedback. Thanks guys!

Prerube away! :P
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 88
Well "knee pain" is pretty generic. I'd say your somewhat on the right path that your issue is related to improper balance and weight transfer, and from trying to pivot on the ball of your foot instead of pivoting on your heel.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
HEEL PIVOT!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
There's always the possibility that your drives didn't do the damage, they just reveal it.

I have old knees I've hurt in all sorts of ways, some pretty innocuous. The injury might be from stepping in a stumphole or tripping or just tight hamstrings. But it might be most painful in the "hit" while throwing discs.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
How severe is the pain? It could be from a partial tear of the MCL or ACL. Maybe the minuscus is damaged. Lots to consider when it comes to knee pain.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
I torn my meniscus about ten years ago (not from disc golf). After a couple rounds sometimes feel some pain; means I wasn't heel pivoting properly. Reminds me to correct my mistake and it usually goes away in an hour.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
I tore my ACL, MCL & Miniscus in May. I'm still doing rehab after surgery in June. Dr. Told me ACL would repair on its own. MCL would too if not a complete tear (mine was). Said the miniscus won't repair on its own and while not repairing an ACL or MCL will not result in long term pain, that will result in not feeling as stable on that leg. Not repairing a miniscus will result in pain throughout the rest of your life if you don't do something about it.

If you have consistent knee pain, its worth getting an MRI and seeing if surgery can fix things.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
There's always the possibility that your drives didn't do the damage, they just reveal it.

I have old knees I've hurt in all sorts of ways, some pretty innocuous. The injury might be from stepping in a stumphole or tripping or just tight hamstrings. But it might be most painful in the "hit" while throwing discs.
Oh I know I didn't "hurt" my knee playing disc ... just aggravated it. I've spent the last few years banging em' up pretty good!

It's not severe pain. I can walk, flex my knee. Just tender on the outside and some in the pit of my knee.

I have considered getting an MRI to check things out (finally have health insurance) and see if there is a surgical remedy or if it will just heal on it's own.

thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 24
Doing squats following "Convict Conditioning" (written by Paul Wade) progression steps would help strengthen the ligaments/tendons in those joints (knees) over time.

I used to play a lot of racquetball (since 1981) and the tendons right below the knee cap would hurt badly after hard racquetball playing (it had happening to me for long time) and I decide to do squats (along with healthier eating) back in 2005 and now I don't have knee pains anymore.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Eagle Member

Got a used copy of "Convict Conditioning" to sell?