Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
i too am from alaska i saw that sucker sitting on the picnic table the other day i tend to bring stronger drink in the winter or buy warm beer off the floor maybe a koozie with pockets for hand warmers would be ideal gloves long johns warm hat and maybe some spikes for your shoes if there is any ice at all u will definitely be using more upper body and that takes some d off as we all know
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisislorenb View Post
i too am from alaska i saw that sucker sitting on the picnic table the other day i tend to bring stronger drink in the winter or buy warm beer off the floor maybe a koozie with pockets for hand warmers would be ideal gloves long johns warm hat and maybe some spikes for your shoes if there is any ice at all u will definitely be using more upper body and that takes some d off as we all know

nice, Alaskans coming out of the woodwork. u should get with me and ridestreet84 and throw a game. i live in wasilla you should come out and add it to your list of played courses
Old 12-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Birdie Member

i never played alcantra i make it to peters creek or otherwise south plus i dont have a vehicle id like to give that course a look tho never even seen it or heard much about it and what i have heard isnt great no offense
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so after 5 winters I had an epiphany the other day. I'd been getting frustrated with the lack of distance in the cold air and then it occurred to me, less leaves on the trees and less small branches. So now the windows of opportunity are larger and with all the extra clothing, unsure footing, & cold air means your accuracy doesn't have to be so exacting.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 24
Question. Is star plastic good enough for the cold. I looked in my bag, and I mostly have Champ style plasti, a few star molds, and one pro putter mold.

Yes, I am from Phoenix, but will be getting out to New York and Colorado most likely.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Birdie Member

i find star or esp to be grippier in the cold. i also find champ/z to be alright as long as its not brand new slippery stuff. i tried using my newish cryztal buzzz a bit and that thing would just slip right outta my hand like someone rubbed butter on it but my 2 yr old z buzzz is okie dokie
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHFH
I'll support the handwarmer idea. These are always with me for the annual ice bowl(s) in the area. I've even been known to line my bag with them to keep my plastic from getting too cold. Hope this helps!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last DJ View Post
I'll support the handwarmer idea. These are always with me for the annual ice bowl(s) in the area. I've even been known to line my bag with them to keep my plastic from getting too cold. Hope this helps!
I like the idea of putting them in the bag.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 1149
Any tips for keeping water from freezing at cold temps? I typically use a powerade bottle, but at much colder than 20F it gets slushy and freezes the opening shut. A thermos might work, but is bulky and tedious to use. Looking for some middle ground, something insulated, easy to drink from, that won't freeze up the opening mechanism. Anybody have experience? Anybody have any ideas?

Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
Ok guys... cold air is more dense. That means two things are true:

1) LESS High Speed Stability (more high speed turn aka flippy)
2) MORE Low Speed Stability (more low speed fade aka fade... (just go with it))

Here's why:

Denser air will create a larger air pressure difference between the top and bottom of your disc than less dense air, which causes lift and will push your disc up and over more easily. However denser air has more drag than less dense air, which will slow the disc down quicker and cause it to hyzer out faster.

Personally i use discs that have nuetral flight ratings in winter and rely more on release angles than understable/overstable flight characteristics.

Lastly, there's grip differences. Getting less of a good grip on cold plastic will decrease distance as there is less potential energy transfer from your fingers to the disc with a weaker grip.
jrawk's got it right. For the same amount of energy and angle on release, discs in colder, denser air fly more understable out of your hand but finish more stable and your distance will be less. That's why you'll hear players say discs fly more stable or less stable in the winter because both are true depending on when you watch the flight.