Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Bought this for $15 a month ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Great investment for cold weather golf. Keeps your hands warm (even better when you use a handwarmer inside the muff) without having to constantly take off/putt on gloves.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 370
Throwing Style: RHBH
New Thought

I have been playing in MN winters for 5 plus years. There are a number of factors that change the stability of the disc in cold weather. A few have been mentioned in this thread already - cold affecting the stiffeness of the disc (more stable) and higher density of the air (increasing aerodynamic forces making the disc less stable and higher drag).

I have started to wonder if some of the loss of stability of the disc is due to the loss of spin rate at release. I noticed my release during cold weather was not the same as normal temps - like the disc was "slippery". Not sure if its the lower friction due to temp, the moisture on disc from snow, temperature affecting my grip or........ I did notice that some plastic types were a bigger challange to throw than others.

I have tried gloves, shammies towels, tighter grip (really messes up my form).

Anybody else notice this?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHFH
I never even thought to use on of those....Its been a mild winter so far in PA so havnt had much need for gloves but on the chance i would that would be much easier to use...**** it might even allow me to channel my inner Tom Brady and get my max D up to a mile and allow me to hit putts from 600ft, Ill take all the help I can get
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
This is my first winter playing DG, and so far I really like the cold rounds!

I got a pair of Burton ski mittens for cheap at TJ Maxx. They are great to keep on the non-throwing hand, and are easy to put on and get off the throwing hand.

The coldest I've played in so far is probably mid-20s and snow. Even then, my hands got warm enough after 4 holes that I did not need gloves or mittens on either hand for the rest of the round.

Sometimes we'll relax the rules and play "hippy deuces" where we count any metal as done, and have a max of two shots per hole. Just count up the deuces to see how you did. It's fun and keeps you moving.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowLegs View Post
Sometimes we'll relax the rules and play "hippy deuces" where we count any metal as done, and have a max of two shots per hole. Just count up the deuces to see how you did. It's fun and keeps you moving.
Thats a cool idea would work nicely at my home course and its not very long and even the wooded shots are fairly open...if you dont hit metal do you just count it as a no score "0" kinda thing or some other number
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockiesfan4ever View Post
I saw some people mention fingerless gloves, what type of gloves would people recommend if I wanted to go fingerless.
Forget the fingerless gloves. Get yourself a good warm pair of regular gloves or mittens. Leave it on your non-throwing hand. Between throws wear other glove or keep handwarmers in your pocket. In my mind after 5 winters in the great white north with and without gloves I've found any type of gloves including fingerless are worse than no gloves at all. You lose the "feel" especially for shots requiring a little more finesse.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon13 View Post
I have been playing in MN winters for 5 plus years. There are a number of factors that change the stability of the disc in cold weather. A few have been mentioned in this thread already - cold affecting the stiffeness of the disc (more stable) and higher density of the air (increasing aerodynamic forces making the disc less stable and higher drag).

I have started to wonder if some of the loss of stability of the disc is due to the loss of spin rate at release. I noticed my release during cold weather was not the same as normal temps - like the disc was "slippery". Not sure if its the lower friction due to temp, the moisture on disc from snow, temperature affecting my grip or........ I did notice that some plastic types were a bigger challange to throw than others.

I have tried gloves, shammies towels, tighter grip (really messes up my form).

Anybody else notice this?

Definitely noticed this. During winter rounds, I actually slide by thumb towards the center of the flightplate for added grip. Works really well for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 189
the biggest difference I have noticed is that most people wear more clothes in the winter. Try to lighten the load.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
the biggest difference I have noticed is that most people wear more clothes in the winter. Try to lighten the load.
agreed. i recommend dropping some money on decent thermal base layer clothing. i have a few under armour shirts that are worth their weight in gold. they keep you super warm and allow you to shed a few extra layers.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
agreed. i recommend dropping some money on decent thermal base layer clothing. i have a few under armour shirts that are worth their weight in gold. they keep you super warm and allow you to shed a few extra layers.
I live in CT so we are not dealing with such extreme temps as MN or AK, but it can still get pretty cold here.

Here is my complement of cold weather gear:

Quarterback Muff:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Champion Long Sleeve Cold Weather Compression:

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Weath...d+weather+gear

EMS Men's Power Stretch Jacket:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...80146.10849149

FYI...huge sale on the Men's Power Stretch...50%. THis jacket is amazing. YOu will not be disappointed. Flexibility is amazing