Disc Golf Store
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
California courses

If I were to go vacationing in Cali what area has the best courses and affodable lodging?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 45
I am biased in this opinion but I would say the Monterey Bay area. DeLaveaga, Oaks, Pinto Lake, Ryan Ranch, Black Mouse, Cypress, Aptos High and a couple smaller courses. Reasonable lodgings can be found in that area. Find somewhere to stay in Watsonville and you should be in great shape and save a little coin. I am now living in the Central Valley a hundred miles away otherwise I would offer you lodging. Hope this was helpful.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Another spot to look at is the Penn Valley / Grass Valley / Auburn / Rocklin area outside of Sacramento, in terms of a combination of good courses, cheap(by Cali standards) lodgings.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneely View Post
Another spot to look at is the Penn Valley / Grass Valley / Auburn / Rocklin area outside of Sacramento, in terms of a combination of good courses, cheap(by Cali standards) lodgings.
I agree with this. Great courses and cheaper lodging than alot of Cali. If your vacation is in may-oct come to tahoe and play 9 courses and camp. Or there is reasonable lodging all around the courses. There's also the option of staying in Reno and driving a half hour up to the lake.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 25
When are you going, that matters. Santa Cruz Monterey are expensive in summer. Grass and Penn and Auburn are close to the snow line in winter.
There is a Motel 6 in Watsonville that is about $50 a night just minutes from Pinto. Ryan and Oaks and 3o minutes south tops and Dela, Aptos are less than that traveling north.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 27
Big question...Have you ever visited CA before and if not, do you want to actually do anything while visiting or just play Disc Golf?

If you've never been here before, you should fly into San Jose and then hit the coast and play all the Monterey/Watsonville/Santa Cruz courses, check out the ocean, eat some good seafood, etc.

Or, you could fly into San Francisco, stay at a motel in Daly City or somewhere cheaper than SF, and play Golden Gate Park, Stafford Lake, Skyline, Moraga, and enjoy some fun in San Francisco.

If you've done the tourist thing, or just want to play a lot of courses, then fly into Sacramento and stay in a cheaper neighboring town (Dixon, Roseville, Loomis, Auburn) and play all the great courses up that way - Shady Oaks, Condon Park, Auburn Regional, Hanging Oaks, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want further info. Born and raised in CA, and I've played most all the local courses in Norcal.

Tim S.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Main reason is disc golfing and to catch up with a few friends, was thinking Monterey before I posted, may have a free place to stay there and usually can get a cheap flight there from Chicago.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 15
If course flow matters, some courses are relatively open all the time (Ryan Ranch, Oaks, Pinto Lake), others are usually crowded and slow moving (Delaveaga, etc).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 176
A few things that would help:
- what time of year will your trip be?
- where do your friends live?
- how long of a trip? how many courses do you want to play?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 71
I would suggest northern cali over southern cali. as there are more courses i think with better quality and its easier to get around. You cant go wrong with monterey bay or bay area. can't give word on sacramento.