Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Next Tee Pad

Hey guys.... looking to install some next tee signage. I have heard some pavers put into the ground for this purpose with arrow stenciled on. What size paver do most people use for this? Like the small 7 inch by 4 inch size? Or.... use a larger size? I'm afraid that the smaller paver would be easy to get covered completely with leaves and such. Can anybody share their experience? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 740
Don't want to disuade course improvements in any way...but ground markers are poor performers (for exactly the reasons you're asking about). The easiest; cheapest; and best way is to simply mark the appropriate spoke on the basket with tape or paint (paint being much better for longevity). You can use different colors to point to different tees.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 161
I've always liked the simple wooden sign with an arrow pointing the direction banded to the bottom of the pole. Or put on the tee sign
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 66
Or even put the sign with an arrow on a tree next to the basket somewhere. But ya, I'd agree with the other guys that ground markers aren't super great. As long as there's some sort of arrow close to the basket and easily visible, pointing in the general direction of the next tee, that's good.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Don't want to disuade course improvements in any way...but ground markers are poor performers (for exactly the reasons you're asking about). The easiest; cheapest; and best way is to simply mark the appropriate spoke on the basket with tape or paint (paint being much better for longevity). You can use different colors to point to different tees.
This is what I'd recommend, it's the easiest way to mark the direction and it's cost effective and vandal proof.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: LHBH
The spoke marking does work, but a lot of Noobs don't have any idea what that means....

I'm a fan of simple next tee signs on a tree or short post heading up the 'trail' to the next tee. Simple and direct - here is the way, disc golf needs to design for those that play, and those that are 'chuckers' as this forum described them.

A little arrow of similar is fine. Another easy way is to have that marked on the tee sign showing the hole AND a little arrow for next tee - so you showed them TWICE. Seems some of our peeps have a shorter memory span for some reason or other...
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
A lot of chuckers never play more than 1-2 courses, so even if they miss the markings the first time through they won't have trouble after that. Marking the next tee is much more for traveling players than for people playing their home course, and those traveling players tend to notice painted spokes.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 101
I'm in the midst of installing a course. The city won't let us have any above ground markers. Everything is suppose to be designed (other than the targets) to allow mowers to go right over the top. We're considering pavers in the grounds showing the way to the next tee.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 284
The problem with painted spokes is that if you have multiple pin positions, it's hard to make the spokes always point the right way since the angle to the next tee has changed.

I would say wooden arrows on trees in the vicinity of the greens are best (provided there are trees on the green).

DSCJNKY

Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
How about wooden/plastic arrows that say "Next Tee", hanging from the spokes? More noticeable and interpretable than just marking the spokes, uniform location on every hole, and they can be adjusted if the basket is moved to a new location.

"Next Tee" signs on trees works great.....except where baskets are on fairly open greens. Even mostly-wooded courses often have a few of these.

On the other hand, some courses need multiple "Next Tee" signs due to long transitions and/or a maze of foottrails along the way.