Disc Golf Center
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
next tee sign picture

check out the third picture under the media section for Bertha Brock in Ionia, Michigan. They have what i feel are real good next tee markers. they also use the tape on the basket as well. the tee sign also has a direction to the next tee on it as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 31
idk, i think spray painting a blaze on trees just like trail markers work well, diff colors for layouts...
works in the forest service for how many countless years
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk12 View Post
The spoke marking does work, but a lot of Noobs don't have any idea what that means....

I use the spoke concept and I also have also posted @ kiosks instructions of how the next tees are indicated. I color code to tee skill level when required as well. Helps to educate newbies and creating the instruction sheet is still cheaper, easier, etc than other options.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
I've never seen this done, so there may be some reason that it's a bad idea. How about an arrow attached to the pole beneath the basket? That wouldn't be a separate pole, so it may get you around that issue. Make it brightly colored enough and people will see it.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Don't want to disuade course improvements in any way...but ground markers are poor performers (for exactly the reasons you're asking about). The easiest; cheapest; and best way is to simply mark the appropriate spoke on the basket with tape or paint (paint being much better for longevity). You can use different colors to point to different tees.
This works really well when you have fixed baskets. When you have moveable baskets, not so much.

I've seen some pins that have a generous amount of cement around the base like this....

I've always thought that marking the way to the next tee on that would be a wise suggestion, but pins like that are few and far between.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Don't want to disuade course improvements in any way...but ground markers are poor performers (for exactly the reasons you're asking about). The easiest; cheapest; and best way is to simply mark the appropriate spoke on the basket with tape or paint (paint being much better for longevity). You can use different colors to point to different tees.
^I'm a fan of this. Don't get me wrong - actual signs or arrows hanging from the baskets work even better, but they cost more and take more work - and will eventually get vandalized. If you have the time and money to do posts that say "NEXT TEE -->" great, but painted spokes work pretty well, don't really get vandalized (like pretty much every sign seems to be, eventually), and they're cheap 'n' easy.

While pavers look nice, I don't think they're as effective; too easily obscured by debris orgrown over by grass and weeds, and can be harder to spot for first timers (who need to find them the most).

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 12-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Also consider longevity and long term maintenance...
Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 45
All valid points. I think that pavers would look more finished.... but I could definitely see leaves and debris covering them up. I don't know that just painting a spoke would help that much at this course because there are several 150 ft- 200 ft walks to the next tee... and this is in thick Kentucky woods.

So, I think that we will probably have to do a culmination. Will probably do the spray painted arrows on wood signs nailed to trees in several places.... but I expect some of these to be ripped down by vandals. Maybe do some of the small wood signs connected to the bottom of the basket. Might still pick up some pavers for the practic basket to mark different length putts... and for some putting games.

I am just concerned that I have heard from several people that Veterans Park course is very hard to navigate.... and I know this first hand.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
We used pavers with arrows in the ground- they are 3" x 6". They work good for us, but we do two important things:

First, we cement them in. We put them in the first time, and 4 of them went missing within 24 hours. So we make the hole for them, put in a glob of concrete, put the brick in, then pack dirt around it really hard so that you can't get a finger in. They are now very easy to remove with a tool, but almost impossible to remove by hand.

Second, we ask all members to pay attention when they play and clear out any leaves or weeds that may obstruct the markers. If everyone does their part, this takes virtually no time and lets the bricks stay easily visible.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 711
I gave Lexington a pretty high rating; as a couple of influential locals gave me and my crew the tour. But, yes, that course is known to be very tough to navigate and directional measures are definitly needed there. I applaud your efforts.