Disc Golf Store
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not sure where you heard the PDGA does not like things on baskets. Here's the wording in the Tech Standards: (2) Identification, sponsorship, security, or directional elements may be added above or below the Target Zone (see specification D) such as flags or signs either temporarily for events or permanently. These elements should be radially symmetrical as much as possible if they project above the top of the deflection assembly or are located below the basket bottom, but that is not required.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 178
Vandalism is always a concern, even with a good club and vigilence. I agree that spokes are the way to go. Locals don't need the help, out of towners do, and most of those who travel understand spokes. Even with several tees they send you in the right direction, or tell you which path to follow.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Not sure where you heard the PDGA does not like things on baskets. Here's the wording in the Tech Standards: (2) Identification, sponsorship, security, or directional elements may be added above or below the Target Zone (see specification D) such as flags or signs either temporarily for events or permanently. These elements should be radially symmetrical as much as possible if they project above the top of the deflection assembly or are located below the basket bottom, but that is not required.
I don't know specifically, but I do know a considerable amount of work was done to remove them from the baskets before worlds. Tom would have more knowledge...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 39
The simplest, most efficient, and cost effect method I've seen are wooden arrows about 12" long painted bright yellow. They are attached to trees around the basket and along the walking paths in between the basket and next tee. If it is a short walk where you can see the next tee from the basket, a single arrow is used. Longer walks 100'+ use an arrow near the basket, and one or two more along the path to the next tee. They are secured about 10' off the ground so no one can reach them without a ladder. Use different colors for different tee pads (red, white, blue, gold).
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
DONT PAINT ON TREES!!!!!

Painting big dumb arrows on beautiful trees is the same as vandalizing a basket in my book. DON'T DO IT!

At least you can remove a next tee sign marker. Ive tried in ground bricks in the shape of an arrow, bricks with an arrow painted on them, next tee signs, flagging tape, tape on a basket rung... A nice primed (with white exterior gloss paint) 2x6x10" board with a NEXT -> stenciled on it seems to be the best received. I got 300 vinyl numbers cheap at a safety supply place and they work great for labeling your next tee signs.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
PDGA doesnt like things on baskets (I hear) we had to remove them at Winget for Worlds. Which is odd because a bunch of courses had flags on the baskets (which help knock down over throws.)
Not true Mark. The next tee signs (4"x 7" on a white synthetic wood with a green arrow) are suspended under the basket using zip ties (one around the pole and another to a bottom basket spoke); these were not removed for the Worlds at Winget. Many of the players loved them as well as the PDGA Marshalls.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 132
If you have a local community college or high school with a vo-tech program you can probably get reasonably nice next tee signs for nothing, or next-to-nothing. They are always looking for projects for the students.

The local advertising design class did really nice next tee and mando signs for us. (Hard plastic)

Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 17
Hanging wooden arrows from a tree does work well if there's a tree that's handy. I'm not sure where they got them, but you could call Disc golf World in KC about the next tee markers they put in before the KCWO last year. They are bright yellow vertical tabs that are affixed to the bottom of the pole itself, by the lock and say NEXT TEE with an arrow. Black lettering on a metal yellow tab, like a school bus. They are quite small, but they are attached to the pole itself so they don't take up any room on the ground or trees. Very useful for multiple pin locations, from a single pad b/c you can rotate the signs around so they will always point at the next tee and they are off the ground. I don't remember all the courses they were installed at but Water Works for sure and I believe Blue Valley as well.

I think that they would work fine for multiple pads as well. As long as you point to the longest pad and have good signage that shows the location of alternate pads. They for sure work for holes that have multiple pin placements.