Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
10 Meter's out

So i have a plan that i would like to impliment and try to have become more permenant. the tournaments that i play, i see that there is a painted circle that shows 10 meter's, which is a good thing to have. The downside to that is once the tounament ends, the circle over time fades and i have friends that always ask if they are 10 out or not. I was thinking that if there is a way that is more permenant to show that with out having keep the park maintenance from mowing. I did see one course here that has a brick circle to show the 10 out.

Any suggestions on what could be used
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
There's not a compelling reason to permanently mark a 10m circle until the Rules Committee agrees that the marking can be declared "official." As it is right now, a player is still allowed to get out the tape measure to see if their mark is at least 10m outside the pin even if there is a painted circle.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 1149
I've seen some places use string (cedar glades most recently), seemed ok, but the string is going to get tangled and knotted for sure, and eventually fray and break, so not very permanent solution. I've also seen lightweight cable, much more permanent and less apt to tangle, much more expensive. Maybe a retractable string, like a dog leash would work? Or if you're concerned about it, carry a tape measure. or if you carry a golden retriever carry exactly 10m of string on that, or at least have a knot/marking at 10m. Or learn to pace effectively (oh the sight of pros arguing over their stride length). Isn't there an app for this?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Yeah but most players are willing to give the benefit of the doubt when there is a marking like that. I've never had someone insist that another player measure or step off 10m when a circle is painted.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
First, not to be a grammar cop, but the punctuation in the thread title got me fired up that the 10-meter rule, and thus falling putts, was being eliminated. Please don't tease me like that.

That said, if you feel it's necessary, do it the way baseball foul lines and football field lines are done. Which I don't know, myself. The lime is long-lasting but the grass is cut or burned by the lime or whatever, to be shorter than the surrounding grass, so it holds it's markings for a long time.

Before you embark on this, I do suggest doing the math; it's well over a half-mile of marking for an 18-hole course. It's a big undertaking, however you do it.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Pulling out the tape to measure happens regularly in tournament play. If it's rec play, don't you think judgment by the group is enough?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 190
If it's rec play, the group readily agrees to any length being 10m, so they can watch the player miss the putt jump.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I've seen some places use string (cedar glades most recently), seemed ok, but the string is going to get tangled and knotted for sure, and eventually fray and break, so not very permanent solution. I've also seen lightweight cable, much more permanent and less apt to tangle, much more expensive. Maybe a retractable string, like a dog leash would work? Or if you're concerned about it, carry a tape measure. or if you carry a golden retriever carry exactly 10m of string on that, or at least have a knot/marking at 10m. Or learn to pace effectively (oh the sight of pros arguing over their stride length). Isn't there an app for this?
All of this.
DSCJNKY
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If it's rec play, the group readily agrees to any length being 10m, so they can watch the player miss the putt jump.
Hahaha!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Ha, actually, for the first time in my life, i saw a guy hit multiple jump putts in the same round. Made more than he missed. All from about 35-40'. I had never seen it before. It was a WAY more controlled jump than I normally see from guys. He was my partner too, we still lost, but he kept us close.