Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-23-2016, 07:56 PM
* Condor Member *

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default The Innova 3s. Which are worth my time?

Who here bags and throws the 3s (Roc3, Leopard3, Shark3, Teebird3, TL3, Mako3)?

And what makes them unique from their predecessor (better, worse or just different)?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28

Roc3

Teebird3

In Champ these are workhorse discs. T3 definitely handles wind better than a standard TB imo, Roc3 just feels so good in your hand. Just a touch more distance than the other Rocs I've thrown with the exception of a Champ Roc+ I have.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 68

They are all great molds.

What makes them better - the plastic these are currently available in is excellent. The disc shapes are consistent and feel nice. I especially enjoy the metal flake releases. You can buy three of one you like for $45 and be set for years.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12

Roc3 here. Agree with the above. Although as far as distance, the McPro Roc3 shines here. Actually they feel better too. The start off pretty stable but season into lasers and then PERFECT workhorse mids that can be hyzer flipped to flat, S lines, turnovers and they bomb for mids. Of my mid setup I reach for either the champ Roc3 or McRoc3 90% of the time.

The Mako3 is also an awesome mid but my McRocs drove those out of town.

Wasnt a huge fan of the TB3 though. It felt good in hand, but I only threw a G* and Im really not crazy about G* plastic.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 29

Definitely check out the Roc3; it's my go-to disc and can really power up and reach out there for a midrange, while also powering down really well. It can definitely be a workhorse midrange. I'm currently tossing a Leo3 in Champ Glow and they're pretty neutral; they'll hold straight if thrown flat but take a bit of an anny angle really well. I've also thrown a Teebird3, but that was in GStar so I didn't really like it; I'd imagine in Champ or Metal Flake it would be a fantastic disc.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Bogey Member

The Leopard 3 is well worth it... great slight turnover and stable roller.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Idk what it is about the champ plastic on these proto L3s, but I do not like it. Its as hard as a rock and slick as shyt. I dont really like champ plastic for my fairways as it is, but I dont like this one bit.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Who here bags and throws the 3s (Roc3, Leopard3, Shark3, Teebird3, TL3, Mako3)?
And what makes them unique from their predecessor (better, worse or just different)?
I have not tried the Leopard3, but I have Roc3s, Shark3s, a TL3, and Mako3s.

The Roc3 is a great disc in Star, Champ, Metal Flake and McPro plastics. Straight flight that gets straighter as it seasons in, dump fade that gets a little less over time and seasoning.

The Shark3 is a beadless Roc3. My Champ Shark3s are more overstable than my Roc3s but so far have been very reliable. Right now I'm bagging the Shark3 (and VCobra, as a pair) over the Roc3.

The TL3 is okay, but I really wish it came in something besides GStar. The TL3 has not knocked the TL out of my bag, and won't unless it comes out in Star or Champion plastic.

One of the very first discs I ever got was a Star Mako3. I've subsequently gotten a couple of Champion Mako3s as well as a GStar (which I don't use anymore but was a good disc when I did). The Mako3 is great for anny shots, and holds a good straight line when powered down some. One can use the Mako3 for a one-disc round. I can't say if anyone else does this, but I find the Mako3 a good forehand disc as I learn that way of throwing.

As to better or worse... that's usually a personal call. I personally like the flatter discs. Some may not. The TL3 supposedly has more speed and less glide than the TL, but I don't find that to be the case. I have a Glow DX Roc, but haven't used it enough to make a fair comparison to the Roc3. Likewise, i have a Star Shark on order, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I look forward to making that comparison.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have not tried the Leopard3, but I have Roc3s, Shark3s, a TL3, and Mako3s.

The Roc3 is a great disc in Star, Champ, Metal Flake and McPro plastics. Straight flight that gets straighter as it seasons in, dump fade that gets a little less over time and seasoning.

The Shark3 is a beadless Roc3. My Champ Shark3s are more overstable than my Roc3s but so far have been very reliable. Right now I'm bagging the Shark3 (and VCobra, as a pair) over the Roc3.

The TL3 is okay, but I really wish it came in something besides GStar. The TL3 has not knocked the TL out of my bag, and won't unless it comes out in Star or Champion plastic.

One of the very first discs I ever got was a Star Mako3. I've subsequently gotten a couple of Champion Mako3s as well as a GStar (which I don't use anymore but was a good disc when I did). The Mako3 is great for anny shots, and holds a good straight line when powered down some. One can use the Mako3 for a one-disc round. I can't say if anyone else does this, but I find the Mako3 a good forehand disc as I learn that way of throwing.

As to better or worse... that's usually a personal call. I personally like the flatter discs. Some may not. The TL3 supposedly has more speed and less glide than the TL, but I don't find that to be the case. I have a Glow DX Roc, but haven't used it enough to make a fair comparison to the Roc3. Likewise, i have a Star Shark on order, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I look forward to making that comparison.
In your experience, is the star Roc3 and different than champ? Ive heard people say not at all, but Id expect a champ for a bit more OS

Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
In your experience, is the star Roc3 and different than champ? Ive heard people say not at all, but Id expect a champ for a bit more OS
I first had Star (and GStar) and McPro Roc3s. The McPros seasoned in faster than the Stars, and began getting a little bit understable, but I don't throw them in the winter.

I then tried the Champions, expecting the Champion plastic to be more overstable than the others. I was going to pair the Champs with the McPros (and Stars as they beat in) to cover the full range of shots (overstable, neutral, understable).

However, to my surprise, the Champion Roc3s (I have two) performed like the Star Roc3s: straight flight with a 'dump' fade at the end. There was no appreciable difference between the Star and Champ Roc3s.

I most recently got a Metal Flake Roc3. Brand new, it's a bit more overstable than the Star and Champs, but not too much so, and I expect it's going to season in to be like the others.