Old 03-31-2014, 02:30 PM

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Fastest disk speed for strong armers?

The short version: at what point should a strong-arm thrower top out on the speed scale?

I realize the answer may be, Do whatever works, dude. I am just curious if there is a generalization or trend to use as a guide.

For reference, Im throwing discs with a speed of 7or 8. My primary driver is a Star TL. Until recently, I thought I was throwing around 280ish. Turns out the distance between my measurement points was greater than Id been told. So, in reality, Im throwing 300. It has been explained to me that 300-330 is about as far as you can reasonably expect while strong-arming the disc. Im good with that. I need accuracy and consistency more than distance. However, if I do start playing longer holes and looking for more distance, do I dare move up the speed chart? Am I asking for OAT by moving up to speed 10 or 11?
Old 03-31-2014, 02:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
FWIW, strong arming leads to less consistency, less accuracy, less distance and more risk of injury. If you really don't want to work on your form, then try something a little faster.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
You might have a little better luck with starlite or blizzard type discs. You can throw whatever speed you want for those because the weights are lower. That is if you're not interested in trying to work on advancing.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
Read thread title... Expected the replies above.

Serious reply: People in our club that strong arm (and have no interest in changing methods) typically have the best results with overstable versions of understable discs. Say what?!

What i mean is, these guys love to throw the freak overstable sidewinder, archon, katana, nuke SS, etc. Because when they release nose-up the disc will flip, fight out of the turn, and hyzer out. Most of them don't own a midrange. Some of them put with their drivers.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
It has been explained to me that 300-330 is about as far as you can reasonably expect while strong-arming the disc. Im good with that. I need accuracy and consistency more than distance. However, if I do start playing longer holes and looking for more distance, do I dare move up the speed chart? Am I asking for OAT by moving up to speed 10 or 11?
I believe you can even strong arm a Roc close to 400'. So if you are fine with strong arming then you just need to get stronger. But as others have suggested in the long run you will be better off if you learn good form.

My best advice to strong armers is to go out and do some long field work sessions, 100 full power throws MINIMUM, ideally 150+.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Par Member

I don't think there is a disc speed limit for strong arming. I could grab my 13's and try to make them work but I bet would end up on the surgery table.

The thing about strong arming is, when I do it, I pull really hard past the release point. This guarantees that I don't get the extra spin and speed from a proper release.

Last edited by FriedInTheDesert; 03-31-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 PM

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 1
So, throw a putter until I win the Vibram Open?

My bad. Allow me to rephrase. While a new player is waiting for the elusive, magical lightbulb of perfect form to light up, how far up the speed chart should that player go?

I often read the advice, "Don't move up the speed chart too soon." This implies that there is a proper pace for moving up the chart, and even a pace that is too slow.

It's not that I'm fine with strong arming. I just accept that learning proper form may take a long time. My desire to improve on the course will outpace my learning curve in an open field. I don't want to slow that learning curve by hindering the process with poor equipment choices.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHFH
Grab a stack of discs of various speeds and stabilities. Observe how they perform for you. Record your observations. Repeat frequently. You will eventually realize that the only answer to your question that really matters is the answer that you discover for yourself.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 11
How exactly do you know when you are strong arming? I am just curious because I know I need to work on my form but I don't feel as though I am always strong arming, per se. I've been able to feel when I get a good snap on the disc so that leads me to believe I have done something correct, but it's always a work in progress.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 57
I would say stick to Teebirds until that light bulb goes on. Start throwing some understable stuff to help the process. When you're not turning and burning them, and getting predictable flights, you'll know you're on your way.