Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Archon was the first longer driver I could throw. I bougth a mamba recently, and can't do squat with it. It's the only disc I've ever bought that just made me feel like it's a bad disc. I'll try a Tern soon.
Work your way up, Tern needs more power than the Archon. And some Mamba's are crazy understable, with PLH so low there's barely any daylight between wing edge and the surface it's sitting on.

I'm throwing Quantum Astras, an Archon variant. The thing I like about them is they have virtually no turn, but are long and straight with minimal fade at the end. VERY controllable. The Tern has a swoopy Katana-like flight. Precision and control don't seem to be its strengths. Beast, Bolt, and even the DD2 are straighter than the Tern, in my experience.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
if you can't use the mamba effectively you probably have ****ty form or your just throwing it to hard.... just sayin'

it's one of the best discs i've ever thrown for long tight fairways where you need to work the disc plus it gives you way more accuracy because you can back off on the power so much and just let it glide.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
I didnt read the whole thread yet but doesnt this disc have the same numbers as Innova's Wahoo?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrod View Post
I didnt read the whole thread yet but doesnt this disc have the same numbers as Innova's Wahoo?

that's correct
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
if you can't use the mamba effectively you probably have ****ty form or your just throwing it to hard.... just sayin'

it's one of the best discs i've ever thrown for long tight fairways where you need to work the disc plus it gives you way more accuracy because you can back off on the power so much and just let it glide.
^^^This is very true, OAT is the kiss of death for the Mamba.

The Mamba's I picked out have a higher PLH than most, and are less understable than most as a result. All 3 are in a unique pearly champion blend that's also more flexible than others I've seen.

The Mamba is SO easy to throw, responds to snap rather than power, and the glide is incredible. Easy to manipulate with the right release angle(s) as long as it's not too windy.

If you don't have a lot of time in with understable drivers, or your form suffers from OAT, the Mamba can frustrate you. Likewise, if you can throw Roadrunners and Sidewinders, the Mamba should be no problem...and it just blows away those 2 in glide and distance.

Although the Tern and Mamba look similar, the Mamba is way easier to throw and also easier to manipulate on various driving lines. I can do turnover, straight, fade, and anhyzer drives with my Mamba(s). Dial back the power and concentrate on snap, and this disc performs!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
that's correct
This is why I'm excited about the Tern. I'm hoping to get to finally field test mine tomorrow. I love the Wahoo. It added and instant 40-50' to my drives. And with the slightly thinner, and more shallow rim, I'm hoping that the Tern is even more comfortable for me to throw. If not, it's time for me to bombard Innova with Champion and Blizzard Wahoo requests!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 4
That is one thing I can say the Tern is comfortable and feels great in the hand.. I don't have small hands just think there something to this shallower rim allowing me to get a lot of snap with my fingertips or whatever it is it just feels good and blew the D4 out of the water..D4 got its chance n the term wins handily
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 38
Had a chance to really spend some time with this disc (171g). As well as the Bolt, Dominator, Archon, King,and Havoc (just for reff purpose)
I don't have much power (avrg 330' @ 100% . For ME I could get a nice hyzer flip and a very slight helix out of it (5 to 10'). I guess I was expecting a ton of glide out of this disc from what I've been reading, but I really didn't notice much of a diff compared to the above discs.
One nice thing about throwing this with the above stated discs. Is that I fell in love with the BOLT! I was getting a consistan 20+ over the Tern.
However, the disc feels nice in the hand and the plastic is fantastic. So the King lost it's spot to the Bolt and the Tern is still in the bag for a bit longer.
One other thing, early in the morning there was a good 10 to 15 mph headwind and except for a few shots I didn't put enough hyzer angle on them. I ended up with a wide helix (approx 20 to 25' in width), but the disc came back every time except when I messed up on the release angle.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 39
how would you guys say the tern compares to a nuke ss?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 39
and how might it compare to a prodigy d4 as well?

-sorry for double post.. missed the chance for an edit.