Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
I only got a couple throws in yesterday with my new Tern, but I was presently surprised. The disc consistently went farther than I expected that it would, and wasn't too difficult to throw. I'm looking forward to getting another round in with it today.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
The Mamba is SO easy to throw, responds to snap rather than power, and the glide is incredible. Easy to manipulate with the right release angle(s) as long as it's not too windy.

Although the Tern and Mamba look similar, the Mamba is way easier to throw and also easier to manipulate on various driving lines. I can do turnover, straight, fade, and anhyzer drives with my Mamba(s). Dial back the power and concentrate on snap, and this disc performs!
Thank you for this comment. I took both my Tern and Mamba out today, and once I worked on slowing down and snapping the Mamba rather than overpowering it my flights were significantly more consistent.

However I have to disagree with you about the Mamba being easier to throw than the Tern. Given a little power and a good hard snap the Tern is the longest disc in my bag, and is significantly more forgiving than the Mamba on poorly thrown shots.

Both are good discs, and fill spots in my bag for now. Of the two though, I'd buy another Tern tomorrow if I lost one, whereas I'm not sure I'd replace the Mamba with an identical disc. In fact, I probably wouldn't, as I'm really liking the TD2 Fever one of the guys I play with throws.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.4
i played in the mission bay ice bowl last night and for me i have a harder time throwing an anhyzer than a hyzer so its easy for me to back off the power throwing the mamba and it goes along way! but last night i threw the Tern on a par 4 and in 2 throws i parked it 1ft from the pin. all you have to do with the Tern is to throw a slight anhyzer and that disc will do FAR!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
Thank you for this comment. I took both my Tern and Mamba out today, and once I worked on slowing down and snapping the Mamba rather than overpowering it my flights were significantly more consistent.

However I have to disagree with you about the Mamba being easier to throw than the Tern. Given a little power and a good hard snap the Tern is the longest disc in my bag, and is significantly more forgiving than the Mamba on poorly thrown shots.

Both are good discs, and fill spots in my bag for now. Of the two though, I'd buy another Tern tomorrow if I lost one, whereas I'm not sure I'd replace the Mamba with an identical disc. In fact, I probably wouldn't, as I'm really liking the TD2 Fever one of the guys I play with throws.
"Easier to throw" as in less effort/power needed.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 40
Anyone thrown both Tern and Havoc? It will be a while before I see grass to try my Tern.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
My mambas are rollers unless i throw them 50-70% , then they fly like roadrunners
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threevok View Post
Anyone thrown both Tern and Havoc? It will be a while before I see grass to try my Tern.
Yes, and they are similar in feel and flight. Both 1.1cm rim depth and 2.3cm rim width.

I was throwing an opto Havoc with proto star stamp champ Tern. Both 167g, both with moderate(normal) dome.

Distance potential, take your pick. Stability very close. Havoc actually seems straighter, less lateral movement.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyThunders View Post
My mambas are rollers unless i throw them 50-70% , then they fly like roadrunners
There are some Mamba's out there with a higher PLH which are significantly less understable. They also have a different dome, not as much and more gradual. I managed to grab 3 of these at stores(not online). Most have pretty high dome and crazy low PLH. These fly like the -5,1 rating from Innova. The Mamba's I have are more like -3,2.

The first 2 Mambas I bought online had very low PLH and were very hard to keep in the air under full power, just like you're describing. I had to back way off the power to keep them from immediately turning over hard right and crashing.

The other ones I have now are a totally different animal. They can take good snap and go far and relatively straight...with the right release angle of course.

Normally the Mamba would be a specialty disc for me, reserved strictly for anhyzer drives that finish right. But the ones I have can cover a lot of shots, effortlessly and with surprising control.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 138
Send a message via AIM to New013
In the Climo interview he mentions that the Tern is a driver that has impressed him with tons of glide.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
I got a Tern with merch bucks a couple weeks ago. It's fitting a slot I've been looking for.

I like a Star Beast for working lines, flying around trees, etc, on longer lines. But as I've added some power over the last year, they're trickier to control, stay truned over longer, etc. I've been wanting a "skinnier" Beast, less side to side, that I don't have to uber-accurately hyzer release to get a consistent flex. I think this is it. I got it at the break in the tourney, and never having thrown it, parked a tough hole in the 2nd round. Same stability rating, but 2 ticks faster, it's a 'beastly' beast.