#461  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM
New013's Avatar
New013 New013 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,759
Send a message via AIM to New013
I disagree with the above post in that the glide on this thing is obviously head and shoulders above most of what Innova has produced before, especially considering it's in Champ which usually has a bit less glide than other plastics. It's easy distance and for players with less power level I can definitely see how this disc will help them get more D and be more accurate at longer distances because they're using less effort to get it there.

Personally I think I like the Dominator a bit more just because it has a bit more stability and uses less lateral movement on long throws.
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
jenb's Avatar
jenb jenb is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW TX USA
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,357
I'm guessing it's too fast for someone maxing out 275-300.
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Bobby_B5932's Avatar
Bobby_B5932 Bobby_B5932 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Saw a video of Feldberg at Kensington Toboggin hole crank a drive out with full grunt to just under 500'. This is an elevated hole too. But, of course, not high altitude desert with heat thermals. Comprende?
Now WTF are you trying to say? I don't consider Feldberg a big arm.
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Bobby_B5932's Avatar
Bobby_B5932 Bobby_B5932 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I'm guessing it's too fast for someone maxing out 275-300.
Not at all.
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 AM
AndyJB's Avatar
AndyJB AndyJB is offline
Chaw Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Disc Golf Mecca: Colorado
Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I'm guessing it's too fast for someone maxing out 275-300.
Well that's tricky. If they're only getting that far because they just can't get a huge rip and lack supersonic arm speed, then I would say no, it's not too fast...it will probably add a few feet of distance and fly pretty straight.

Now, if they are only throwing that far because of poor form, that another animal. In that case, I would say this is not the disc for them. I've probably had 20-30 bad releases with the Tern and, while its not as fickle as some drivers, it can get away from you.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:13 AM
heartman's Avatar
heartman heartman is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Athens, GA
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,647
Ok, question time:

I have 400'+ power when throwing my D1's/D4/seasoned Pro Destroyer/etc.

I bought a 175g proto Tern and it's been surprisingly stable for me ... and only hitting 350'-75'ish with less than 20' total lateral movement. PLH doesn't look crazy high or anything ... might just need to throw it more and get the hang of it? (have 20ish throws with it so far)

... also: can't hyzer flip it without extreme torque/OAT
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 AM
MrFixIt's Avatar
MrFixIt MrFixIt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: JAWJUH
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartman View Post
Ok, question time:

I have 400'+ power when throwing my D1's/D4/seasoned Pro Destroyer/etc.

I bought a 175g proto Tern and it's been surprisingly stable for me ... and only hitting 350'-75'ish with less than 20' total lateral movement. PLH doesn't look crazy high or anything ... might just need to throw it more and get the hang of it? (have 20ish throws with it so far)

... also: can't hyzer flip it without extreme torque/OAT

I've got a lighter weight (167g I believe) you need to try out. I haven't had it long enough to really test it yet, but so far it has been great for long open holes.
*Edit* I think you need to season it a little bit...
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 AM
mattc's Avatar
mattc mattc is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shelton, Wa.
Years Playing: -0.2
Courses Played: 24
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Well that's tricky. If they're only getting that far because they just can't get a huge rip and lack supersonic arm speed, then I would say no, it's not too fast...it will probably add a few feet of distance and fly pretty straight.

Now, if they are only throwing that far because of poor form, that another animal. In that case, I would say this is not the disc for them. I've probably had 20-30 bad releases with the Tern and, while its not as fickle as some drivers, it can get away from you.
me (second part)
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Karl Karl is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I'm guessing it's too fast for someone maxing out 275-300.
Not at all Jen, it should work for you. To my tactile sense, the Dominator and Tern are "in the same camp" as they seem (to me) to have the same inside rim feel as each other and different than some / most of the other Innova discs. They would make a team of overstableish/understableish drivers just as the Wraith/Katana team might. And I do seemingly get a lot of glide from the Tern...but it probably won't make the bag because I have a Ch.Katana for that slot.

Karl
Reply With Quote
 

  #470  
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Wanderer Wanderer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_B5932 View Post
Now WTF are you trying to say? I don't consider Feldberg a big arm.
Point is he was throwing 500 ft max effort, from an elevated tee, and at 100% power, not 60%(LOL). But you're doing 500 ft at a meager 60% no sweat? Stop griping about not being believed, and move on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.