Par Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHFH
Awesome thanks for the info
Old 10-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 26
anyone throw these glo terns? more stable?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've had a champion 175g Tern that I've never really clicked with.... when I got a good pull I'd have some of my longest throws with this disc, but I was very hit-and-miss with it and had recently pulled it out of my bag.

I got a 172g Star Tern with some tournament winnings yesterday and did a bunch of field work with it today and THIS is the disc I had wished my old Tern threw like... very long and very consistent!

I noticed tonight that the Star is flatter than the Champion, not sure how much difference that makes but I find it interesting that I usually have better experiences/results with flatter/less domey discs...
Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualNewbie View Post
I've had a champion 175g Tern that I've never really clicked with.... when I got a good pull I'd have some of my longest throws with this disc, but I was very hit-and-miss with it and had recently pulled it out of my bag.

I got a 172g Star Tern with some tournament winnings yesterday and did a bunch of field work with it today and THIS is the disc I had wished my old Tern threw like... very long and very consistent!

I noticed tonight that the Star is flatter than the Champion, not sure how much difference that makes but I find it interesting that I usually have better experiences/results with flatter/less domey discs...
star terns are a different disc than CH terns
CH are 12/6/-2/2
the star are less stable
star are 12/6/-4/2
Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Eagle Member

odd

I only throw a star tern. Can someone who has thrown both give us a run down?

I'm loving the star right now. I've had some of my best drives with this disc. it's making a huge difference. My only complaint is that it's god awful in the wind.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
odd

I only throw a star tern. Can someone who has thrown both give us a run down?

I'm loving the star right now. I've had some of my best drives with this disc. it's making a huge difference. My only complaint is that it's god awful in the wind.
I keep a Flash in my bag for into the wind shots, because the Tern can not handle headwind
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
star terns are a different disc than CH terns
CH are 12/6/-2/2
the star are less stable
star are 12/6/-4/2
Holy cow, did not realize that, thanks for the insight! The star I picked up was custom-stamped and therefore did not have the ratings on it like most Innova discs do.

I tend to like the feel of star plastic much better than champion for Innova discs which is why I decided to give the star Tern a try.

I could never get a reliable flip or turn out of the CH Tern, even though I have no trouble getting other high-speed discs to flip and turn (ex. - Crank, Bolt, King). My max distance right now is about 415', fyi... wonder what I'm doing wrong with the CH?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
odd

I only throw a star tern. My only complaint is that it's god awful in the wind.
a CH Tern will be a lot better in the wind
Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Eagle Member

That's good to know but I might be too snake bitten to throw in a breeze again

Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 66
Finally got my Starlite Terns out on the local practice area today. Took them out to compare them with my primary and max distance drivers. I throw RHBH.

Bagged:
150g QOLFs: primary, go to, consistent drivers. Flat ground distance = 325'ish. By far my most used and favorite driver. I can throw it flat with just a little turn and it gets a nice skip at the end. I can hyzer it and it holds that line. I can anhyzer it and depending on the release, can have it flex back or stay turned over.

174g Wahoos: max distance wide open hole drivers. Flat ground distance = 350' with 375' being my estimated max. They need a lot of space to fly, turning far right but coming back thrown flat. But my primary one is getting too flippy, even with hyzer, and won't come back any more, turning into rollers sometimes. The backup is getting there, too. I haven't thrown them a ton, and really only use them on nice grassy holes, so they're not abused. But they did break in fast. This is why I'm looking to the Tern as a replacement.

I carry a couple other drivers, but they're more specialty type discs, etc. so I'm not using them in this comparison.

Testing today:
(2) Champion Terns at 162g & 163g.
These both fly a lot like my QOLFs but a little longer, in the 340' range. The jury's still out but I do like being able to throw them flat, hyzer or anhyzer.

(2) Starlite Terns at 150g and 151g. These two threw very differently than each other. The 150g flew as advertised. My best throw with it was about 380' (quite possibly my longest throw ever without wind or elevation to help). I probably averaged about 350-360'. It required a good bit of room to work right and then back left, but not not as much as my Wahoos had taken. This was thrown flat. I'll have to experiment more with some hyzer, etc.

The 151g flew more overstable than the Champions. It didn't turn right at all when thrown flat. It maxed out in the 330' range or so. (Actually, I've been very fortunate in my experience with consistency within molds and this is my first experience with such inconsistency in two nearly identical discs.)

Verdict:
A Champion and the "as advertised" Star will probably both make the bag and replace my two Wahoos. The shallow rim didn't bother me at all. Of course, Stiingrays are my favorite mid so I'm used to shallow rimmed discs. I have more practice and testing to come, but the results are definitely favorable. Looks like I might need to hit up the Innova Factory Store again for some more Starlites to see if I can find some more flippy ones.

Last edited by Jimb; 10-27-2013 at 11:53 PM.