Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
Cam is a cool dude. Glad to have known him for so many years. Just randomly met him on my home course one day. Played with him and had a blast. I have considered him a good guy ever since.

Back in those touring days in the Winnebago, I think life as a touring disc golfer was a little tougher.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
Player Cup incident is pretty well known by the Florida locals. Basically lots of top pros thought it would be smart to smoke up in the host hotel....
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
Player Cup incident is pretty well known by the Florida locals. Basically lots of top pros thought it would be smart to smoke up in the host hotel....
Lololol. That's hilarious.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Being on the PDGA discipline committee, I know about the players cup incident. The situation was reviewed by us on the committee and there wasn't enough information available / "proof" to place blame on a particular incident or what not. The incident reported was simply one of many reasons from the resort to pull the course.

I'm not going to speak about the incident or it involved because part of the role of our committee is not putting those things out there publicly (so don't ask or PM - lol), but it did not happen on the course or doing the round or doing the awards or players meeting, etc, which is a major difference between the Hambrick incident with Cam.
So what you are saying is that the reason no discipline was ever announced was becasue there was no discipline? That's lame. I thought the lack of comment by the PDGA was an indication that they had learned something about handling discipline in the Internet age from Cam's incident. What you are saying is the lack of comment was due to that fact that nothing was done. Oh, well.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Suspending one player with a known reputation for having temper tantrums for having one is easy. Its a situation that squarely involved one individual and doing so makes the PDGA look like they're being good vigilant police.

Suspending several for the alleged shenanigans that went on the Players Cup is difficult. It involved multiple parties of some of disc golf's top name players, and even dealing with that by merely naming names gives the PDGA and organized disc golf as a whole a black eye.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
Mike posted the basics of what happened at the time but didn't actually name names. His account included some public weed smoking and golf cart shenanigans that I guess were deemed "not on the course" by the PDGA. From time to time people would post names that were "rumored" to have been involved, but nothing was ever officially stated so they remain rumors. Since they were never officially named, the players involved avoided the public flaming that Cam got. They did get a major cancelled, something that Cam didn't. Something about that seems a little off to me.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Suspending one player with a known reputation for having temper tantrums for having one is easy. Its a situation that squarely involved one individual and doing so makes the PDGA look like they're being good vigilant police.

Suspending several for the alleged shenanigans that went on the Players Cup is difficult. It involved multiple parties of some of disc golf's top name players, and even dealing with that by merely naming names gives the PDGA and organized disc golf as a whole a black eye.
It's hard and it might look bad, so by all means let's sweep it under the rug? Gotcha.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
It's hard and it might look bad, so by all means let's sweep it under the rug? Gotcha.
I'm not condoning their actions, but it does seem when certain entities get in a little bit of trouble, sweeping things under the rug seems to be the modus operandi of damage control, as they know that a continual spotlight on the incident will reveal even more sordidness.

And its not just the PDGA. There's probably not been a presidential candidate in our lifetimes (successful or not) who hasn't employed that trick.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
The using of illegal substances was reported to the PDGA and those players were suspended in accordance with the PDGA Drug and Alcohol Disciple process.

The incident that was reported to have the event removed from the property has not been mentioned in a public forum - and is waaaaaay off from anything mentioned here - to my knowledge and that was the incident I was referring to - that we found no evidence of.

Cam's incident was very public and IMHO, that is the main difference in the two. However, I feel the Players Cup Incident was way worse. The incident occured at the resort, but not during competition. The players involved took care of the incident with the resort but the resort was not interested in discussing the mater with us so we were unable to prove that the incident resulted in the cancelation of the event and the removal of the course, so the PDGA took no further action. We just made sure they squared things away with the resort, which they were able to prove they did.

The PDGA gets a lot of flack publicly when items appear to not be addressed, when in reality they are either not reported, addressed privately or the incident in question is not found to be as accurate as reported.

Last edited by _MTL_; 12-10-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 43
Cam's a good Guy let it Be. Forums suck sometimes